Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 12:01pm Post subject: (Un)Official Beer 'n' booze thread
Pam, what apples is he using? And is his scratter electric or has he got an old stone one? [/i]

Apples? If only he used apples. He buys really cheap apple juice and with a combination of plastic tubing, glass jugs and crockery jugs and some other substances he won't reveal to me, he makes this crap. I almost wish I could buy him the correct supplies and a book to guide him. Then at least his little hobby would be drinkable. Either that, or we need to set up a still in the back 40 and make corn squeezins'. [/quote]

Apples: liquidise either really sharp/inedible cooking apples (Bramleys are most common here) or crab apples. Strain the juice off. Ferment as normal. Ideally (but where you'd get such a thing, I don't know) in a small wooden barrel. Thought - why not add oak shavings to the mix if it's brewed in a plastic or stainless steel container? Does wonders for the flavour. An important point to note is that for bottling purposes, you need to pasteurise it. For drinking purposes, let the sediment settle out before imbibing.

Failing that, fly him over here (I'm 4 miles from Birmingham airport) and I'll drive him down to Much Marcle, and then return him to you in a totally incomprehensible and useless state.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 4:20pm Post subject: (Un)Official Beer 'n' booze thread
Pam, what apples is he using? And is his scratter electric or has he got an old stone one? [/i]

Apples? If only he used apples. He buys really cheap apple juice and with a combination of plastic tubing, glass jugs and crockery jugs and some other substances he won't reveal to me, he makes this crap. I almost wish I could buy him the correct supplies and a book to guide him. Then at least his little hobby would be drinkable. Either that, or we need to set up a still in the back 40 and make corn squeezins'.

Apples: liquidise either really sharp/inedible cooking apples (Bramleys are most common here) or crab apples. Strain the juice off. Ferment as normal. Ideally (but where you'd get such a thing, I don't know) in a small wooden barrel. Thought - why not add oak shavings to the mix if it's brewed in a plastic or stainless steel container? Does wonders for the flavour. An important point to note is that for bottling purposes, you need to pasteurise it. For drinking purposes, let the sediment settle out before imbibing.

Failing that, fly him over here (I'm 4 miles from Birmingham airport) and I'll drive him down to Much Marcle, and then return him to you in a totally incomprehensible and useless state. :-D[/quote]

Maxx,
You have the answers for everything. Maybe I will try to direct his hobby in new and more drinkable ways.

You'll return him in a totally incomprehensible and useless state? He could get that way by drinking Budweiser. If anyone's going to England, it will be me so that I can meet fellow Fry fans and hear excellent music.

Pando

Posted Thu Feb 26th, 2009 4:12pm Post subject: (Un)Official Beer 'n' booze thread
Strongbow? Strongbow ? The only reason I ever drink that stuff is if the only alternative available is that truly dreadful "maiden's water" called Magners. [/i]

Strongbow is my "Festival Poison". It tastes the same warm or cold and at a festival, your tastebuds don't get say, it's your wallet haha!

I'm seasoned and snobbish Gin & Tonic fan, If I may say...I used to be a cocktail waitress and since leaning how to make a proper G&T I got hooked haha!

As for beer, Fursty Ferret. Big love to the Ferret beer!

"In fact, every woman in the world has got bird flu. But we don't give a shit, we just get on with our lives. Now it's only because a few men have caught it lately that people are going mad about it. "Oh, I've got bubonic plague, but I've still got to do the hoovering."

Maxx England

Posted Fri Feb 27th, 2009 4:45pm Post subject: (Un)Official Beer 'n' booze thread
Maxx, You have the answers for everything.

Answers for everything? No, I'm just a tribal elder, can't plough or fight any more, so I just pass on what I've read and heard, and very occasionally, done.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Corona

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 1:58pm Post subject: (Un)Official Beer 'n' booze thread
Newcastle Brown. I don't care if it isnt in fashion or it is low class. I like it.

Help

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 2:26pm Post subject: (Un)Official Beer 'n' booze thread
Newcastle Brown. I don't care if it isnt in fashion or it is low class. I like it.
Finally, someone with a little taste