Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ClareBear

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 10:03pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

Okay then.....This didn't go as smoothly as the last adjustment, did it? I apologise on the behalf of Andy and Simon (in case you haven't gotten the message already) for the lack of forewarning. I had no warning either. Honestly. My earlier post was a more restrained version of what went through my head when I saw the changes.

Please stay calm and be patient, fixes and modifications are being made continuously. This is however, a brand new platform for everyone, myself included, so it'll take some getting used to, I've got to junk 7 years of PHPBB knowledge and start again.

Things will get better.

Clare

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 10:05pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

Thanks Clare. x Andy

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 10:29pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

HI ClareBear,
Thanks for posting. I noticed that you titled this thread update, but I wasn't clear as to what you updated us on. What is being worked on at the moment? Can someone give us an idea as to what the next improvement in the shiney new site may be? I know it wouldn't be fair to ask for a time frame, because sometimes we may run into bugs that we didn't expect. But what is the main focus right now? What will we see in the next week or two? Will Fryphile ever be allowed to post on his thread again? Will we have the ability to edit our posts? That is really the type of information I was expecting to see in an update.

I am sorry to hear that you were as surprised and inconvenienced by the change as everyone else. And we have been told "we are working on it." But I am still left wondering what is the status of this project?

Would it be possible to get an update to your update, please?

glossyibis

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 12:15am Post subject: Update Shenanigans

This is just a test. Talk among yourselves. I just want to see if I still exist and if I did everything right.

No trees were harmed in posting this message, but several million electrons were hopelessly inconvenienced.

PamJH

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 3:11pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

Thanks ClareBear, for keeping in touch with us. Perhaps Mr. Sampson would be so good as to update us on the aspects of the forum that will return and those that won't. I don't think that's asking for much.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 4:52pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

At least our babies are back. Seems we've adopted some new ones. Just call as Brangelina.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 6:15pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

I don't want to repeat things mentioned before but I for one simple am rather lucky about the fact that we now get some information. Yes, perhaps it's not so much as desired, but there is progress. A lot improved in the meantime and even if we don't know what the final result will be or which steps are planned, it's quite encouraging to see the development.
We are guests on this forum, it doesn't belong to us - so we can't dictate how the persons responsible act or react.
Dear team of @stephenfry.com we really understand a lot and will have more patience. But all forum people are concerned one way or another.
Despite all the work you have at this very moment, please take the time to answer/comment. A lot of unnecessary displeasure could be prevented and you could even avert the danger that people ask again and again on different threads. Please try to understand us, the forum people.I don't want any member to leave the forum, as I fear without any members such a forum would not make any sense.
I hope that this doesn't sound as an offence. It is definitely not my aim. Respect your tremendous work.
(There are so many smileys now that I can't decide which one I shall take )

ClareBear

Posted Wed Aug 12th, 2009 12:16am Post subject: Update Shenanigans

HI ClareBear,
Thanks for posting. I noticed that you titled this thread update, but I wasn't clear as to what you updated us on.

Maybe less an update, more a step sideways...The forum platform moved from PHPBB to Wordpress.

Beira

Posted Wed Aug 12th, 2009 8:33am Post subject: Update Shenanigans

I noticed there's a link at the bottom of the page for the new forum platform, bbPress.

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Wed Aug 12th, 2009 11:32am Post subject: Update Shenanigans

Hi guys,

We are working on the Forum and we've got a meeting about it today with the mods. We are addressing your issues and many resolutions and fixes have been made.

I don't know how many ways I can say it but my apologies once again for disrupting the community but in our defence, we've spent a great deal of time and money over the years cherishing and maintaining the forum. A few days of adjustments and fixes should be reasonably met without the demanding tone of some members. Some of you know me from Twitter and here. You know I can be reasonable and I will do my best to ensure that Stephenfry.com Forum members are looked after but I react very poorly to demands from people, very poorly indeed.

Please remember that we are people to and that we provide the Forum because we value your contributions and we don't want to lose your membership.

Best,

Andrew Sampson

Andrew

Julia from Bristol

Posted Wed Aug 12th, 2009 7:11pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

Been away for a few days & had hoped bynow that folks had calmed down. Hope thwe team is not too frazzeled Andy - keep going - you're doin' great!

I have a cunning plan!

Nitro

Posted Thu Aug 13th, 2009 3:38pm Post subject: Update Shenanigans

Accusing people of being 'demanding' could just as easily be answered with being 'whiny'. Really, accusations ( if that's what they actually are ) are useless in either direction. Suggestions and observations, however, are not.

Project Management methods are widely available on the ~www~ (I'd point to PMI's website, for instance, as a starting point ). As someone well versed in this particular focus of business, impact studies over the years reveal these following things to be true:

1) Anyone impacted by your project is considered a 'stakeholder'. ( Given the increased and immense competition for consumer dollars during recessionary times, it cannot be emphasized enough that even the slightest abrasiveness or apathy to stakeholders can kill the financial goals of any project ).

2) Spending time in Planning and Design is more likely to increase the success and seamless transition of Implementation. ( Failing to spend time during the Planning phase almost always results in stakeholders and the overall goals of the project being negatively impacted. )

3) Any project should have one, and only one, project manager.( While projects are built by consensus, they cannot be effectively guided by it to a successful conclusion. The close of a project is as important as the beginning and at the end of the day, when project success is analyzed and archived, there is one chief who will have been considered ultimately responsible for the health of the project. Every project manager should have a sign above their desk: The buck stops here. That also means accepting responsiblity for project failure as well as success and absorbing with grace both the positive and negative feedback one recieves from team members and stakeholders. )

4) Underestimating project impact on stakeholders, failing to communicate with stakeholders, and being apathetic or defensive towards stakeholders is a sure course to failure. If this mistake is made it is an immediacy to correct it early ( which of late has become obvious you are trying to do - which is encouraging )

I could go on but I'm sure for nearly everyone else not involved in project management it is a dry, boring subject. The point of mentioning it is only that many proven PM knowledge areas, strategies and uses, are ignored to the detriment of anyone involved in business. PM and business analysis are rapidly becoming cohesive disciplines whose previously seperate definitions are blurred. But learning what the experts know, without becoming expert, is possible and can be applied to any future projects you may have for this site to ensure success for everyone, particularly those who do the actual work ( team members ) of implenting it.

I hope my post is followed by someone with a smart mouth and sarcastic disposition to mitigate all that boring shit I just wrote.

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Thu Dec 22nd, 2011 3:05am Post subject: Update Shenanigans

there's a lot of posts that have disappeared from this thread...where did they go?

Really? Wow.

TomHRXi

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 6:58am Post subject: Update Shenanigans

thank you clare
you wrote really good

husasa

Posted Mon Sep 3rd, 2012 4:16am Post subject: Update Shenanigans

Thanks for posting.