Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ysabella

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 8:37am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
I found a very nice election map for the Congressional elections, and thought folks here might like to see it:

click me!

Projected voter turnout in my state (WA, top left, for those who don't know) is 85%! I can't think when I've ever heard it was so high. Half the ballots are already in, too - most of the state votes by mail. I am going to go cast my vote tomorrow, in person.
What I've been thinking is, we're tired of being cynical. We're hoping with Obama that we won't have to be. That's the impression I got at the caucus. Obama represents a non-cynical, hope-filled, optimistic vote. It looks like the wave is even bigger than I thought, though!

President-wise, a huge Obama win is projected at http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/ - and they are supposed to be good. A lot of the polls only phone people's wireline phones, but a lot of people don't even have wireline phones anymore - particularly younger people, who are more likely to be Obama voters. FiveThirtyEight is supposedly not making that mistake.

You can also follow people's tweets at http://election.twitter.com/

It looks like not only Obama, but a Democrat Congress.

Incidentally, some businesses give out freebies if you vote (you get an "I Voted" sticker) - a free cup of drip coffee at Starbucks, a free scoop of ice cream at Ben & Jerry's.

All you Americans, get out and vote if you haven't already voted. And Tobias Monk, let's drink a toast to Hillary, shall we?

Flossy

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:10am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Thats an interesting map indeed! Without pulling up a geographical or population equivalent, would you say there is any correlation betwen urban and rural spread there?

In the UK a lot of the inner-cities tend to vote labour, although that is being challenged at present, and many country towns and rural settings tend to vote Conservative or Liberal Democrat. Do you think this is reflected in the demographics on the US election map?

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:16am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
wow, that map is interesting. Thanks for posting that.

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 1:58pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
We had approx. 300,000 people do early voting in Travis County alone. Another expected 200,000 today. Clearly, that's not everyone in the county, but that's still breaking the record set back in the 2004 election. I really don't understand why people don't take advantage of early voting. It's so fast and easy. Took me, at the most, 15 minutes.

I'm still deciding whether or not to go to an election party. It's going to be frickin' crazy tonight, no matter what the outcome. Fingers crossed for Obama.

Fiona

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 2:31pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
I'll have my fingers crossed for Obama tonight!

Maren

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 3:15pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
very interesting information, Ysabella. And fingers are crossed here too!

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 5:39pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
What I've been thinking is, we're tired of being cynical. We're hoping with Obama that we won't have to be. That's the impression I got at the caucus. Obama represents a non-cynical, hope-filled, optimistic vote. It looks like the wave is even bigger than I thought, though!

It looks like not only Obama, but a Democrat Congress.

All you Americans, get out and vote if you haven't already voted. And Tobias Monk, let's drink a toast to Hillary, shall we?

Great map Ys, even if all that red in Texas did very nearly make my breakfast come back up. I went to my voting location early this morning, parked and then had to wade through about a dozen or so older folks carrying McCain placards and all of 'em looking at me like they could tell I'm not a republican and therfore in need of an exorcism. It was the longest 20 yard walk ever! X-D

A toast with2 Caipirinhas to Hillary!

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 5:57pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election

Great map Ys, even if all that red in Texas did very nearly make my breakfast come back up. I went to my voting location early this morning, parked and then had to wade through about a dozen or so older folks carrying McCain placards and all of 'em looking at me like they could tell I'm not a republican and therfore in need of an exorcism. It was the longest 20 yard walk ever! X-D

glad you live to tell the tale The US election is, of course, also here in Europe the topic of the day and I'm following it with the greatest interest. My fingers are crossed for Obama, too.

Shader

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 8:52pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Voted this morning, it only took 30 minutes. I have a weird patriotic need to vote on election day. I must vote on it, not before!

Hoping for Obama though Georgia will probably go red, but not without a fight. Predictions are that our senate race Chambliss (incumbent Rep) vs. Martin (Dem) will be close enough for a re-vote. Frankly, I hope not because if I have to see one more political commercial bad things will happen.

The propositions were ridiculous as usual but nothing scandalous or interesting here. Well, actually, there was an amusing local proposition. I didn't get to vote on it because I don't live within city limits but they voted on whether or not it should be legal to sell alcohol on Sunday. Seems amusing it's still an issue. Discussing that with my mother was fantastic. She said no because of the moonshiners and bootleggers; when will they get to do most of their selling?

Can't argue with that sort of logic. I like my Sunday alcohol to be possibly lethal, unregulated, and sold to anybody regardless of age.

That's the American way!

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:00pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
The propositions were ridiculous as usual but nothing scandalous or interesting here. Well, actually, there was an amusing local proposition. I didn't get to vote on it because I don't live within city limits but they voted on whether or not it should be legal to sell alcohol on Sunday. Seems amusing it's still an issue. Discussing that with my mother was fantastic. She said no because of the moonshiners and bootleggers; when will they get to do most of their selling?

Can't argue with that sort of logic. I like my Sunday alcohol to be possibly lethal, unregulated, and sold to anybody regardless of age.

That's the American way!

LOL, good 'ol Dixie!

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

ysabella

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:35pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Indeed, Tobias *clink*

On top of the free coffee at Starbucks and free ice cream at Ben & Jerry's, there are free donuts at Krispy Kreme. I don't think we are going to do any of these, but it's kind of fun to know about.

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 10:14pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
I must admit I'm avoiding it all like the plague.

4 years ago I stayed up til 8am to see what my state decided only to be crushed. I intend to not keep my hopes up and find out tomorrow who got it.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Gravescape

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 10:17pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
LOL. I have the news running in the background and someone submitted a video of them flipping a coin to see who she would vote for. Head = Obama, Tails = Mccain. She got heads. Voting is a good thing but using a coin to decided your vote....not so good.

CollectorManiac

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 10:42pm Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Great map, thanks for posting!
I shall be pulling an all nighter over here this fine eventide, I'm quite sadly excited, it's facing up to be one hell of an election
If Obama doesn't win it, well, I shall eat, the GVJ, not out of shock, just horror =P
Cross those fingers

ysabella

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 12:08am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Thats an interesting map indeed! Without pulling up a geographical or population equivalent, would you say there is any correlation betwen urban and rural spread there?
For an idea of the population density, there's this really excellent map:

click here

Bear in mind that is from the last election, so it's a bit out of date.

In the UK a lot of the inner-cities tend to vote labour, although that is being challenged at present, and many country towns and rural settings tend to vote Conservative or Liberal Democrat. Do you think this is reflected in the demographics on the US election map?
It's the same here - rural areas are typically Republican, and urban areas more Democrat, in general.