Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ysabella

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 12:10am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Incidentally, I just voted.

Bishop of Attleborough

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 12:39am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
I have a weird patriotic need to vote on election day. I must vote on it, not before!
I feel much the same way, though I wouldn't call it so much "patriotism" as "civic pride." Somehow, completing your ballot at the kitchen table and dropping it off a city hall on your way to the grocery store, or sticking it in the outgoing mail, doesn't have that same moment (as in "momentous") as walking into a polling place, getting your form, taking it to the booth and dropping it into the ballot box. You just get a much stronger sense of participating in the democratic process.

"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

gjhsu

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 12:49am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
I have a weird patriotic need to vote on election day. I must vote on it, not before!
I feel much the same way, though I wouldn't call it so much "patriotism" as "civic pride." Somehow, completing your ballot at the kitchen table and dropping it off a city hall on your way to the grocery store, or sticking it in the outgoing mail, doesn't have that same moment (as in "momentous") as walking into a polling place, getting your form, taking it to the booth and dropping it into the ballot box. You just get a much stronger sense of participating in the democratic process.

I'm not sure how it's done elsewhere, but in Travis County, early voting is done with the same machines as on election day, so the only downside is if you lost your 'I voted' sticker, you don't get a free Krispy Kreme donut

5 minute wait on opening early day totally beats unknown hours on election day in my book!

dulieGirl

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 1:24am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election

I'm not sure how it's done elsewhere, but in Travis County, early voting is done with the same machines as on election day, so the only downside is if you lost your 'I voted' sticker, you don't get a free Krispy Kreme donut

Or free milkshake at Chic-fil-a. Yeah, in Travis county early voting is done the same way as voting on election day. You have to go to a poling place that's been set up by the county and vote on the regular machines.

the bantam menace

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 1:33am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Why no Jon Snow on the Beeb? Is it now too late for him to be staying up?

Jeeves_and_Wooster_fan

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 1:41am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Listening to Radio 4 coverage. This is just so exciting.

the bantam menace

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 1:55am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Is it me or is McCain looking REALLY old?!??! (Not that you could see that on the radio eh?)

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 2:07am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
I went to my voting location early this morning, parked and then had to wade through about a dozen or so older folks carrying McCain placards and all of 'em looking at me like they could tell I'm not a republican and therfore in need of an exorcism. It was the longest 20 yard walk ever! X-D

In Missouri and Kansas, they don't allow voters to bring political signs or wear political buttons while voting. In fact, no clothing whatsoever.

I'm so terrified about the possible outcome of this election. I can't bring myself to watch the poll results as they come in. Ever-present pessimist, that's me. Please don't fuck this up, America.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Jeeves_and_Wooster_fan

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 2:25am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Is it me or is McCain looking REALLY old?!??! (Not that you could see that on the radio eh?)

Haha, yeah, you're right, he is looking really old. Painfully old.

(Edit: The thing is, I love listening to Radio 4, and this is all really exciting, but I haven't had my daily dose of Stephen Fry today, so I'm slightly agitated. Might take half an hour out to watch something to calm my nerves :))

Shader

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 2:33am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
He looks painfully old because he is. I'm not saying he's in bad health and he could live for another couple of decades but that doesn't make him young.

I'm convinced if (knock on wood) Obama were to lose there would be a riot in Chicago.

Georgia offers the same voting machines for early voting as well, but it's not the same. I like waiting in the line and watching the campaigners a 100 ft away waving signs.

I'll go with civic pride.

ysabella

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 4:09am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Don't be too scared, Fryphile. Seriously. Voter turnout is at record highs for this election - that fact by itself favors Democrats. There are actually more registered Dems than Reps in general, so for Dems it's all about getting out the vote. Which is what's happening.

According to CNN, Obama already has 206 electoral college votes in the bag, out of 270 needed to win. McCain is way behind with 89. However, the actual popular vote count is much much closer!
Texas is likely to give McCain an electoral bump, despite Tobias Monk skipping his write-in to ride the wave, but I don't think it could possibly be enough. Tobias, I will seriously toast you and Hillary tonight, probably with red wine. Although I may actually have the stuff on hand to make a caipirinha! I may only have lemons, though, and not limes. But close enough!

Incidentally, regarding the free giveaways, like the donuts and coffee, and incidentally free sex toys at Toys in Babeland: that is considered unlawful, so they have to give them to you even if you didn't vote. The reason probably is as I said above - if you get more people to vote, it automatically favors the Democrats, so it's considered partisan.

Shader

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 4:53am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
Looks like victory with the West Coast polls added.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 5:03am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Just watched American history. On the BBC. Happiness. I has it.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

j9r

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 5:10am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
I am so happy and very proud of this country. When I was young, the idea that a black man would be your teacher or doctor, or anything besides a service worker was almost unheard of. To now have a president elect is amazing.

It is always the American Dream that ANYONE could grow up to be president, no one really believed it, but now a mixed raced from Hawaii of all places will be president.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 5:13am Post subject: U.S. Presidential Election
My state that I voted in came through for Obama with flying colors so I'm happy.

My mum,dad and bro weren't as lucky. But my maternal family and one paternal uncles state came in for Obama as well.

Other family lives in Colorado and their polls haven't come in yet.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P