Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gayalondiel

Posted Wed Sep 10th, 2008 12:26am Post subject: Useful information about the Large Hadron Collider
The Large Hadron Collider is due to be switched on on 10th September, which is any second now. There have been a lot of worries about the LHC destroying life, the universe and everything, and some friends have pointed me to a live status report available at http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/ which should keep you up to date.

Don't Panic.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Sep 10th, 2008 12:54am Post subject: Useful information about the Large Hadron Collider
hahahaha!!

yeah...each of us has a better chance at DISAPPEARING WHILE SHAVING than the collider has of destroying the universe.

theoretically, there is a small chance that all of your subatomic particles could just happen to superpose (or something like that..tunneling...) at the same time and you could walk right through a wall. Unfortunately, the chance is very slim and i'd have to live a bamillion years for it to be probable.

but, hey, whenever i'm having a bad day, i just say "hey, hang in there! don't quit on life! what if tomorrow is that day that all your subatomic particles tunnel??"

Gayalondiel

Posted Wed Sep 10th, 2008 12:56am Post subject: Useful information about the Large Hadron Collider
Does that mean I can keep walking into walls on the off chance that I might go through one one day?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Sep 10th, 2008 2:48pm Post subject: Useful information about the Large Hadron Collider
Does that mean I can keep walking into walls on the off chance that I might go through one one day?

sure. maybe in some fraction of an instant it WAS possible, but i wasn't walking into a wall, so i didn't notice. if i was all alone and dissappeared for a 10 to the -10th to the 22nd-th of a second, would i know?

i made that number up...i don't really know that.

wildfire

Posted Wed Sep 10th, 2008 11:07pm Post subject: Useful information about the Large Hadron Collider
from S. Coleman and F. De Luccia (1980). "Gravitational effects on and of vacuum decay". Physical Review D21: 3305.

The possibility that we are living in a false vacuum has never been a cheering one to contemplate. Vacuum decay is the ultimate ecological catastrophe; in the new vacuum there are new constants of nature; after vacuum decay, not only is life as we know it impossible, so is chemistry as we know it. However, one could always draw stoic comfort from the possibility that perhaps in the course of time the new vacuum would sustain, if not life as we know it, at least some structures capable of knowing joy. .... This possibility has now been eliminated.

Douglas Adams has two quotable quotes on the subject.

- In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

- There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Sidthespid

Posted Thu Sep 11th, 2008 11:46am Post subject: Useful information about the Large Hadron Collider
but, hey, whenever i'm having a bad day, i just say "hey, hang in there! don't quit on life! what if tomorrow is that day that all your subatomic particles tunnel??"

This has to be the best reason for not giving up. Hilarious.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Sep 11th, 2008 3:48pm Post subject: Useful information about the Large Hadron Collider

Douglas Adams ...

- There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

there's actually some bits of cherokee myth that are similar to that ... not sure where i could find it, just remember hearing it ...and i don't know if it is a real myth or just something my granma babbles about.

"real myth" lol.