Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 7:12pm Post subject: Useless Whining

Before I get bashed for writing any of this, recall this is the Zero room and what its definition is lol

I've grown fairly weary of hearing people continually complain about some injustice, and then doing nothing to get involved in changing it.

Really: What's the use? What's the point of getting informed only to continue feeling unempowered and ineffectual? Shut up already. Either do something about it by getting involved in some group that is trying to, support their efforts in some way, or stop annoying everyone within earshot about how put upon you are, how inconvenienced, how impacted...whatever your complaint may be...or busy yourself with something else.

That's kind of what I'd like to say to people I know, and don't know ( whinings overheard ), who make it a habit to engage me in some constant repetition of the same complaints. I want to inject,"Really? It's that bad? So...what are you DOING about it? Oh, nothing? Then shut the fuck up because you don't need to make the same complaints over and over and over. I understood the first fifteen times you told me."

Would that be rude of me? LOL

BTW, by now you may have sussed out some subtext meaning here and goody if you have. And the answer is 'Yes', I actually do something about this. I let someone make their complaints a few times and then ask what they're doing about it. That usually shuts them up LOL Failing that, I just recite poetry in my head while they're talking <<<<grin>>>>

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 7:38pm Post subject: Useless Whining

so if the person is doing something about the problem, they get the pleasure of continuing to talk with you about it?

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Nitro

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 7:45pm Post subject: Useless Whining

If I thought you were sincerely interested in that answer, I'd pass it on. Instead, it feels like I'm being baited.

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 7:52pm Post subject: Useless Whining

no, i'm not baiting you, i don't do that stuff. i don't think i even know how...

was just curious if anyone you said that to answered "yes" and if you talked with them about what they did to help.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

quantumofire

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 8:28pm Post subject: Useless Whining

Are we going into Sartre territory?

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

quantumofire

Posted Mon Sep 14th, 2009 8:49pm Post subject: Useless Whining

Dear Nitro,
May I refer you to Stephen's podgram - episode 5 on Compliance Defiance.
Now there's a good rant if I ever heard one.

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Sep 16th, 2009 11:39pm Post subject: Useless Whining

you ask "what's the use?" -- probably the person feels better after talking about something that worries or upsets them. that's why I would go on about things. not saying it's right or wrong, but that's probably why it's happening.

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 4:23am Post subject: Useless Whining

I can understand that the first few times exo, but ad nauseum to the same people? Don't get me wrong: I'm all for venting and even the occasional ridiculous whine, but I'm talking more along the lines of, for instance, complaining about how peoples rights keep getting stripped away and then doing nothing to become involved in stopping that. Like, oh, I dunno...actually voting or letting your reps know how you think. Or complaining about how abused animals are but not even donating a little money or time to animal shelters? That sort of thing. I'm not talking about stubbing a toe or misplacing a lighter and bitching about it.

Really? Wow.

Britannicus

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 3:55pm Post subject: Useless Whining

Oh gads, yes. One hundred percent with you on this.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

quantumofire

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 8:13pm Post subject: Useless Whining

Sorry but this is a rant room and you're allowed to be pissed off as much and as often as possible, short of committing a serious criminal act.
Yummy, yummy...should I eat Hazel Blears - It'll beat having to bother to vote against her?

Nitro

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 11:26pm Post subject: Useless Whining

Banana anyone?

Really? Wow.

rachelgrr

Posted Sun Sep 20th, 2009 3:44pm Post subject: Useless Whining

You know what Nitro? I'm with you on this one! I have a friend who is constantly complaining about her health, yet she does nothing about it but pop pills her stupid and uneducated doctor gives her without question. She does not care for herself physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually, yet I (and her other friends) take the brunt of her CONSTANT complaining. I have gently suggested she look into alternative treatments for her multiple problems only to be responded to with a "Not now."

Whateverrrr....so the next time you start complaining again I'm going to say "Not now."

If you don't like your life, or the things around you, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Complaining and venting is good (and highly effective at the time), but over time ACTION is needed!!!!!

That's just my 2 cents. Life is just too short to spend it complaining about things you are too lazy to try and change. And even if you can't change them, change your attitude about them and you'd be amazed at what happens!

Rachel

Maxx England

Posted Sun Sep 20th, 2009 4:42pm Post subject: Useless Whining

I think some people have so little else in their lives, all that's left to them is a good, old fashioned, long drawn out whinge.

Personally, I'm a ranter, but I do lay claim to letting go of a thing once I've done with it.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Sun Sep 20th, 2009 9:12pm Post subject: Useless Whining

I'm all for a good rant. Hope that's understood. But do it, spew it, and then leave it to die an honorable death instead of resurrecting it ad nauseum.

Fo shizzle my nizzle wizzle.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Sun Sep 20th, 2009 10:39pm Post subject: Useless Whining

I think we all know people who do that. After a while I find myself occupied with urgent chores when these people call me.