Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

SidewalkProphet

Posted Sat Feb 9th, 2008 9:50pm Post subject: Usernames....
I just thought I'd ask everyone how they came up with their usernames!! Is it something special to you, did you take it from a tv show or movie or like me from song lyrics with a lil tweak??

My sister who's not on this site but is on many others has the username Piggle Humsy which came from my best friends little girl who came up with it out of the blue as a name for one of her dolls! lol

Personally, mine is from a Jason Mraz song called Curbside Prophet which got me thinking about those crazy guys you see on tv on the streets of New York shouting that 'The End is Nigh' and so I changed Curbside to Sidewalk and a Legend was born (me!) lol

So where did yours come from???

xxx

masquerade

Posted Sat Feb 9th, 2008 9:58pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine was from the song "Masquerade" from Phantom of the Opera. I thought the idea of masquerade suited me perfectly; putting on a mask to conceal your true identity, as I often feel that if people knew the real me they would hate me.

Now there's a depressing start to the thread!

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Feb 9th, 2008 10:12pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine was given to me at birth.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Ernest Worthing

Posted Sat Feb 9th, 2008 10:14pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine is the name of a character from The Importance of Being Earnest. I have no idea why I chose it, but I can imagine that I was reading it at the time.

whattocallmyself

Posted Sat Feb 9th, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Usernames....
I did not know what to call my self, that did not sound pretentious or childish.
I'm not saying this one is NOT those things, I just gave up and used it anyway.
I do have my old childish nick on most other places though, but it to has changed over the years but never left its theme, raven.

Onwards and Upwards!

shatzi

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 2:53am Post subject: Usernames....
From a character in "How To Marry A Millionaire" with Gable, Monroe, and Bacall. I'm not a golddigger, look nothing like Lauren Bacall, so go figure. I do like classic films and that's always been a fave, plus I like vintage clothes so someone stuck it on me.

seasun545

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 8:18am Post subject: Usernames....
Mine was already explained long ago, but here it is:

Sea means Mar (spanish)
Sun means Sol

In Spain everyone calls me Marisol (wich literally would be Sea and Sun), but my family, the always called me Maria.
My real name is Maria Soledad, wich is awful. Soledad means literally "loneliness" (f**king appropiate...) and I hate it. So I always cut it to Mari-sol and that lead us to Seasun.
And the 545 is a code wich hides the name of someone very important for me.
A bit complicate, I guess....that´s how I am indeed

tta90

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 8:46am Post subject: Usernames....
My username Hepcat is from jazz slang for someone who plays in a Big Band. Although I hardly deserve the title anymore since I'm no longer in a band.

iolande

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 11:02am Post subject: Usernames....
I wanted something i liked, but did not categorise me in any way. When I first went online a lot and this whole idea of user names was beginning to be popular, a lot of my friends were goths and were coming up with names like hellcat, archnae, ghostgirl, jesuswept, pandora and other stuff which was typically goth. I wanted a name that would last me forever, rather than just for a couple of years and so totally define me.

so i ended up picking this name, as a corruption of Iseult (Isolde) - only to discover that it has a rich french history (there was an Isolde who introduced Jeanne D'Arc to the king of france) and there is a medieval poem called Iolande too.

According to baby name books it is a variant of Yolande and Violet. And is a fairly rare name to give to a baby. At least it is in America.

So there it is - my attempt at being original demolished.

I still like it though and have had it for about 10 years now.

emilY

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 11:51am Post subject: Usernames....
Due to my stunning originality... *cough*...

Tis me name backwards

Maren

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 12:08pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine was given to me at birth.

same here
I can't explain why but I always feel unwell by using a nickname.

GasPoweredDiogenes

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 12:28pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine is based on the fact that most ardent seekers of honesty and truth tend to talk alot.

CollectorManiac

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 2:43pm Post subject: Usernames....
well mine comes from the fact that I'm a Blackpool F.C. fan, also known as the Tangerines, adn then a moron at school starte calling me Tango, as a short for tangerine because Blackpool are notoriously pants, but insted of being offended I adopted it as an official nickname =P
although when I join new forums nowadays I tend to use TangoRatsFan [boomtown rats], collectormaniac [because I sped way too much time at collectormania conventions] or girl from the county hell [after the pogues song, boys from the county hell]

SidewalkProphet

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 2:56pm Post subject: Usernames....
well mine comes from the fact that I'm a Blackpool F.C. fan, also known as the Tangerines, adn then a moron at school starte calling me Tango, as a short for tangerine because Blackpool are notoriously pants, but insted of being offended I adopted it as an official nickname =P
although when I join new forums nowadays I tend to use TangoRatsFan [boomtown rats], collectormaniac [because I sped way too much time at collectormania conventions] or girl from the county hell [after the pogues song, boys from the county hell]

Hey' I've been to collectormania lol :p I;ve been twice, during the lotr frenzy mostly lol

Gayalondiel

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 3:00pm Post subject: Usernames....
I got mine out of an Elvish name generator 7 years ago. It stuck so much, I now respond as quickly to someone calling me "Gaya" as if they called my real name.