Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Zefla

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 3:45pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine comes from my favourite Ian M Banks book, Against a Dark Background. Sadly I no longer own this book (having dropped it in the bath) or the guy who gave me the name.

SidewalkProphet

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 4:05pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine comes from my favourite Ian M Banks book, Against a Dark Background. Sadly I no longer own this book (having dropped it in the bath) or the guy who gave me the name.

I should've started this thread b4 I made ur sig lol

Saturn

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 5:39pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine comes from Mr. John Keats' sublime epic poem The Fall Of Hyperion:

“ Deep in the shady sadness of a vale
Far sunken from the healthy breath of morn,
Far from the fiery noon, and eve’s one star,
Sat grey-haired Saturn, quiet as a stone,
Still as the silence round about his lair;
Forest on forest hung above his head
Like cloud on cloud. No stir of air was there,
Not so much life as on a summer’s day
Robs not one light seed from the feathered grass,
But where the dead leaf fell, there did it rest.
A stream went voiceless by, still deadened more
By reason of his fallen divinity
Spreading a shade: the Naiad ‘mid her reeds
Pressed her cold finger closer to her lips.

Along the margin-sand large foot-marks went,
No further than to where his feet had stray’d,
And slept there since. Upon the sodden ground
His old right hand lay nerveless, listless, dead,
Unsceptred; and his realmless eyes were closed;
While his bow’d head seem’d list’ning to the Earth,
His ancient mother, for some comfort yet.”

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 7:32pm Post subject: Usernames....
When I chose the name Amyl Nitrate it was for the imdb boards. I couldn't really think of anything and only planned on posting once or twice but then I started hanging out on the Stephen Fry and QI boards a lot and as the Fry Control site and this forum popped up I decided to keep using the name. I got the name from the 1977 film Jubilee. Amyl Nitrate is one of the characters in it. She's interested in history and I felt quite drawn to her in particular.

Mine was from the song "Masquerade" from Phantom of the Opera. I thought the idea of masquerade suited me perfectly; putting on a mask to conceal your true identity, as I often feel that if people knew the real me they would hate me.

Now there's a depressing start to the thread!

It's not that depressing. Remember the Oscar Wilde quote "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth." I've always been fond of that quote. Online many of us generally feel more free to say what's going on in our heads then when we're in everyday situations. I like the name Masquerade too. I think it's a lovely word and it conjures up lovely images of masquerade balls.

Assuming direct control...

Mandibles

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 10:54pm Post subject: Usernames....
My nickname comes from an episode of QI.

Series B - Bugs and Beetles.

Stephen: "The point is, Jo, "bug" is not just American slang for any insect. It's a specific scientific word. It has piercing mouthparts."
Jo: "Oh how lovely"
Bill: Mandibles?
Stephen: "Yes? Oh yes, Mandibles"
Sean: "You answered to that like it was your nickname. "Mandibles?" You went, "Yes?"
Bill "It was his nickname at school"
Sean: "Mandibles Fry"

I loved it so much that I started using it.

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

masquerade

Posted Sun Feb 10th, 2008 11:00pm Post subject: Usernames....
It's not that depressing. Remember the Oscar Wilde quote "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth." I've always been fond of that quote. Online many of us generally feel more free to say what's going on in our heads then when we're in everyday situations. I like the name Masquerade too. I think it's a lovely word and it conjures up lovely images of masquerade balls.

Indeed; the Wilde quote is a favourite of mine. I agree with the lovely images it conjures up too, which is another reason I like it... it makes me sound much nicer than I am! X-D

ysabella

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 8:51am Post subject: Usernames....
First, I had a lovely ferret named Ferdinand (named after a children's book about a bull who liked to sniff flowers). Then I acquired a baby ferret, and Ferdinand appointed himself nursemaid and looked after her all the time, so I named her Ysabella. It's a name I've always liked, anyway.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 3:19pm Post subject: Usernames....
I'm not as big a fan of the Avengers as I am of other TV shows, but I think that Patrick MacNee's character was the epitome of an English gentleman, unlike that cad James Bond. A gentleman is a wonderful thing to aspire to be, even if no-one has quite succeeded outside the world of fiction. Stephen Fry comes damn close though, which is why I chose an appropriately gentlemanly alias for this forum. I've since started using it elsewhere too.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 3:23pm Post subject: Usernames....
Mine is pretty simple, my nickname is Lauz from Laura and Ma comes from the first two letters of my last name. I use it when ever i join something online.

masquerade

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 5:18pm Post subject: Usernames....
I often use "savemysoul" (with varying amounts of Xs on either side) for some unknown reason! I thought of it a few years ago because I thought it sounded cool. I'm glad I changed to masquerade though, it sounds much more dignified even if I'm anything but.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 6:04pm Post subject: Usernames....
My nickname comes from an episode of QI.

Series B - Bugs and Beetles.

Stephen: "The point is, Jo, "bug" is not just American slang for any insect. It's a specific scientific word. It has piercing mouthparts."
Jo: "Oh how lovely"
Bill: Mandibles?
Stephen: "Yes? Oh yes, Mandibles"
Sean: "You answered to that like it was your nickname. "Mandibles?" You went, "Yes?"
Bill "It was his nickname at school"
Sean: "Mandibles Fry"

I loved it so much that I started using it.

That was a cute bit in QI. I like that you chose a cool name to do with bugs and at the same time QI. ^_^

Indeed; the Wilde quote is a favourite of mine. I agree with the lovely images it conjures up too, which is another reason I like it... it makes me sound much nicer than I am! X-D

I'm suer it doesn't!

I've had this song in my head all day. Now I'm in the mood to watch the film again. ^_^

masquerade

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 6:41pm Post subject: Usernames....
It's a bitch to sing though! -laughs- I was in it in a show once upon a time and somehow I got made to sing the highest part even though I'm an alto. That was fun!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 7:06pm Post subject: Usernames....
I've never tried it! All my singing experience of late has been singing to little children and babies. I haven't sung in a choir since I was about fourteen. I totally lost my confidence at that age.

Mandibles

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 7:27pm Post subject: Usernames....
That was a cute bit in QI. I like that you chose a cool name to do with bugs and at the same time QI. ^_^

Hehe, yeah it was adoreable.

Plus I questioned dear Stephen when I waved at him from the front row of the audience the week after I was up on set. Stephen and I just started chatting infront of the audience and everyone must have been going,

"Who on earth is she..and what on earth are they talking about?"

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 7:55pm Post subject: Usernames....

Hehe, yeah it was adoreable.

Plus I questioned dear Stephen when I waved at him from the front row of the audience the week after I was up on set. Stephen and I just started chatting infront of the audience and everyone must have been going,

"Who on earth is she..and what on earth are they talking about?"

You're so lucky getting to meet Stephen and getting to talk to him!