Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Telepresent

Posted Fri Feb 15th, 2008 4:54pm Post subject: Usernames....
Please permit me to ramble:

I am a developing multimedia/live artist, and I have a particular interest in the relationship between humans and technology - not just cyborgization, but how we can use it to make ourselves more human, how it can be a blessing and not necessarily the curse that the news so often tells us it is (take, for example, this site. It's brought together hundreds of people, who have common interests, friendships and genuinely care for one another. Couldn't happen without the internet).

So, in my research, I came across the word 'Telepresence'. It struck a real chord with me. And as I thought about it, I realised that all of us are indeed telepresent when we are here - that is, remotely present / a transmitted presence. I am not really here - I am transmitted into your moniter. So Telepresent seemed to make sense.
Plus, it sounds cool.

I'm considering making it my professional name (influenced by performance artists like Stelarc) - but I'm worried that that's really... wanky.

emilY

Posted Fri Feb 15th, 2008 5:49pm Post subject: Usernames....
but I'm worried that that's really... wanky.

Sorry , just thought I'd say that "wanky" made me chuckle! Love it! X-D

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 12:38pm Post subject: Usernames....
Not wanky, but it occasionally amuses me to think of you responding to your name on a register with the word "Telepresent"

Telepresent

Posted Tue Feb 19th, 2008 2:15am Post subject: Usernames....
Nice

j9r

Posted Wed Feb 20th, 2008 11:04pm Post subject: Usernames....

I fortunately have I better body - probably one of the few times I can say that. In 20 years it never occurred to me the K9 - J9 relationship.......let alone the Dr. Who connection - I knew I always disliked that dog..........

Just to clarify - love Dr. Who, hated that dog..........

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka