Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

snowbunny

Posted Thu Jan 8th, 2009 10:43pm Post subject: Verbing Weirds Language
As a student of language I was very interested by Stephen's discussion on language, discourse, the nature of language etc. Strong wafts of a certain Fry and Laurie pastiche came back to me especially as he discussed Chess and A Game of Chess. I wondered when he was going to add "Hold the Newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers" - a quotation I've kept in my overstuffed brain for about 20 years now, with not very much call for it's repetition!

I was also reminded of the wonderful Bill Watterson cartoon "Calvin & Hobbes", which I was an avid fan of in my youth. Calvin, an astute and naughty six year old has philosophical conversations with his imaginary friend, a stuffed tiger, called Hobbes. In a series of conversations about language, Calvin comments that "verbing weirds language" - has anyone seen this? It's hilarious, and I'd highly recommend searching them out.

http://www.ourlocalstyle.com/images/uploadImages/2.....nguage.gif

When I was studying languages at Leeds University I took to anonymously posting strips like this one on the noticeboards and watching from afar as staff and students giggled and smiled on their way off to lectures...

Enjoy!

snowbunny

Posted Thu Jan 8th, 2009 10:45pm Post subject: Verbing Weirds Language
http://www.papermasters.com/images/calvin-essay-writing.gif

PamJH

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 12:04am Post subject: Verbing Weirds Language

I was also reminded of the wonderful Bill Watterson cartoon "Calvin & Hobbes", which I was an avid fan of in my youth. Calvin, an astute and naughty six year old has philosophical conversations with his imaginary friend, a stuffed tiger, called Hobbes. In a series of conversations about language, Calvin comments that "verbing weirds language" - has anyone seen this? It's hilarious, and I'd highly recommend searching them out.

We love Calvin at our house, too. My son checks the compilations out of the library quite often and we're amazed at Calvin's creative vocabulary. We also find it fun that the adults in his world don't think his extensive vocabulary is odd, and they've come to expect his different philosophical take on the world.