Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Firlefanz

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 9:31pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

I suppose it's completely unrelated to this:

What is a gravatar?
A gravatar, or globally recognized avatar, is quite simply an image that follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things. Avatars help identify your posts on blogs and web forums, so why not on any site?

Don't ask me. Found this in the profile setup and have never heard of before.

Soph

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 9:34pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

^Ooops you posted before me. ^ That's why I like preview.

<cite>Fryphile said:</cite>
And for some unknown reason on the homepage where it says you are logged in, it has my avatar from AudioBoo. Most peculiar. Unless everyone else has Melchett howling for his lost Georgina as their avatar.

I have a theory! When you uploaded a picture for AudioBoo you used something called Gravatar to do so, which is universal on the internet and apparently "follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things."
I thought my avatar was taken over to the new forum but I also use the same picture on AudioBoo aswell as here. xD

Photobucket

exoskeleton

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 9:41pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

oh! you're right! that pink plaid is my gravatar! I had forgotten about that. mystery (which was seeming quite mysterious indeed) resolved.

gravatar is where you upload a picture, and it's connected to your email address, so any site or blog you use that's hooked up with gravatar will display it as your avatar. it's an easy way to maintain continuity in your online identity. here is the gravatar site: http://en.gravatar.com/

sockdolager.

Administrator

Key Master

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 9:54pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

The avatars are indeed driven by Gravatar, although if you prefer you can upload a uniquely StephenFry.com avatar through your profile page... we try to anticipate all scenarios chez StephenFry.com.

First prize for guessing the correct answer goes to Firlefanz.

Mr Steed - I am sorting out the profile page issues, they appear to be related to spaces and so on. Once profile pages are sorted out I will turn avatars on in the forum again. I think that will be the last thing for tonight, back on things again tomorrow (tired now).

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 10:11pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

As I said earlier, yes it is my mistake that I didn't warn you that there were changes coming to the forum today but in light of the little tweaks we're making, I think we needed to go live to find them.

Can I ask that we focus on the fixes? I don't work very well if I'm shouted at or things are demanded of me.

I know Simon is working stupidly hard and above the call to address your issues. They will be resolved or alternatives found.

Finally, bear in mind that as stephenfry.com has grown so has the need for change. At all points we have always looked after the forum and treasured the community within it. We do invest considerable time, resources and money into maintaining it. Indeed, it was the entire reason we developed today's new website. We will never dismiss or ignore the concerns of the SF forum but I ask that you think of the wider view of what Stephen is attempting to achieve with the entire website. In this instance, I may have ruffled the comfortable blanket that was the old forum but I promise, it was only because I was exchanging it for a spanking new duvet (or doona, as we call it it Australia).

Please don't comment back on this remark - we're working very hard I promise.

Cheers,

Andy

Simon Wheatley

Administrator

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 11:11pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

OOOPS! The Administrator post above was from me, sorry lost track of who I was with all the flipping and flapping between user accounts.

Right. Mr Steed, your profile awaits, sir: http://www.stephenfry.com/members/mr-steed/

I think that should be the profile links sorted now. I'm going to bed now, more fixes will be forthcoming in the morning.

S

exoskeleton

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 11:42pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

is it still OK to post bugs in this thread? if it is not, I apologize, really. I don't mean a bug report to be a complaint at all.

bug: I was trying the search function, and when I clicked on a thread in the results, I was brought to a completely unrelated thread. (at least, the relation is not obvious.)
I am trying again before sending this post and now I just end up back on the front page of the forum when I've clicked a search result.

sockdolager.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Thu Aug 6th, 2009 11:49pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

Quick thank you for the fixes so far! you've done really well lads! Nite, nite!

I have a cunning plan!

Mr Steed

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 7:01am Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

<cite>Fryphile said:</cite>

1)Not sure why, but Mr Steed's and Julia from Bristol's usernames are red and clickable. A mod thing? Steed's takes you to a Facebook page that can't be displayed and Julia's to a Twitter page.

2)Nick, sorry to hear people are barking at you about the problems here.

1) My username led was clickable(and maybe still is) because it led to the page I'd listed as my web page in my profile, but last night there were also problems with Facebook which is why you couldn't get in. It should work now, if you want to try, but read my profile here on the forum first to learn what it is.

2) No-one was barking at me, but a few people thought that KatySara had made the tyrannical decision to remove their threads on the SLOTMD board (Oh they of little faith).

<cite>andrewsampson said:</cite>

Can I ask that we focus on the fixes? I don't work very well if I'm shouted at or things are demanded of me.

I'm sure the more computer-literate will understand and I have faith that you will resolve the issues mentioned to the satisfaction of all, but you must also understand that the situation is rather analogous to popping into your favourite pub and finding it trashed by electricians and carpenters. You know what they're doing is necessary and that the job will be finished, but it's still a bolt from the blue when you had set your heart on a few bevvies and a chat as per usual.

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 9:03am Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

Good morning, dear web-team

hope you could still get some sleep. Nice to see that many things are settled but have noticed that for ex. on the German thread many posts and members don't match. They are mixed up. I got posts from Greengallipote under my unsername. Could you please check? Thank you

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 9:52am Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

My avatar doesn't appear. I uploaded and saved it several times (yes, I unchecked the box "delete your current avatar"), but I still have that pink one, and whenever I get back to my profile, it says that I haven't chosen a file ... In my profile, however, the correct avatar appears next to my username.

In some threads (i.e. the German thread) quoted text is no longer visible as quoted text - this way people appear to have posted things they actually only quoted.

andrealein

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 10:53am Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

<cite>Soupy Twist said:</cite>
My avatar doesn't appear. I uploaded and saved it several times (yes, I unchecked the box "delete your current avatar"), but I still have that pink one, and whenever I get back to my profile, it says that I haven't chosen a file ... In my profile, however, the correct avatar appears next to my username.

Same problem here.

Oh, not really. I just see that it has disappeard in my profile as well now. In some of my older posts it shows the gravatar picture. Very strange.

I am not a Russian spy, cross my heart and hope to die.

Simon Wheatley

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 11:13am Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

Redirecting from the old forum URLs

Up and refreshed now. I've just overhauled the redirection system from old forum web addresses to the new. Can anyone who has bookmarked old threads in their browser please test the bookmarks and let me know any which don't work.

If you're letting us know about broken threads, can you please include URLs on the new (and if at all possible old) forums?

Thanks for the bug reports, the next thing I'll look into is the uploaded avatars not working on the forum.

Thanks again everyone. Please excuse the plaster dust and faint smell of burning, we are getting there (I hope).

ClareBear

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 12:08pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

Biggies:
Private Messages

Admin/Moderator Control Panel. I can't see it. Need to copy the "you are logged in as" box in the right panel of the ClubFry to somewhere in the Forum Page...maybe at the top of the right panel here.

the "New Post" indicators don't work.

The Admin CP is useless. Can't resolve login issues/reset passwords, any anti-spambot measures? no email banning, IP banning, can't change usernames, create moderators, new boards, set permissions

In short, don't ask me to do anything. I can't.

Simon Wheatley

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 12:25pm Post subject: Version 2.1 (as of 6th August 2009) Bug reports

Avatar problems should be sorted now.

ClareBear - All posts are run through a spam checking service, so hopefully that will help. Moderators should also be able to see a "spam" link on all posts, which allows you to mark topics as spam. We'll work through your other issues as soon as we can.