Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

weaversouth

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 3:03pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

SILLY PERSON..Steven and any Vicodin/Hydrocodon users, next time you are back in the UK, stock up, as do I when I am over for the annual "Proms" pilgrimage, on Nurofen Plus! I stop at two or three chemists a day and bring back enough to kick butt for a year! The problem with the prescription stuff (which I have for when my ruptured disk pain goes off the "between 1-and-10" scale) has more codeine in it and will mess with your head, whereas the OTC version just knocks out the pain without giving you the "Cloud Nine" effect.
Nice though it may be!
The fizzy version made by Boots is nice, but contains paracetomol, which I try to avoid...another mark against the prescription versions.
With the "Cloud nine" aspect out of the picture, the excuses to abuse the stuff diminishes, so I only am tempted when I actually HURT that much!

Maxx England

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 4:11pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

Yet another member of the Sciatic Lightning club! I use Co Dydramol when it gets bad, but I try not to use it as it stops my gut dead and I end up feeling sort of poisoned.

Having said that, when it strikes, you take what you need to get through the day. If you don't smoke regularly and you do something that makes the disc kick off without warning, I can state that a cigarette gives me a very swift delivery of nicotine to deaden it; don't like tasting or smelling like an ashtray afterwards, but the hit really does take the edge off it for me.

This, by the way, is not medical advice to use cigarettes, it's just me telling you that I will use one of the nasty things in extremis.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

weaversouth

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 7:03pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

yeah, the "dead gut" thing is pretty nasty, too. Another advantage of taking the OTC version with less codeine. It never occurred to me that nicotine was a pain-killer???? Still, I'd rather swallow a pill.
The other thing about the Hydrocodon (Vicodin by any other name should be as lovely) is that I tend to want to curl up and nap. While this is fine when the pain is keeping me from sleeping, one wants to get things done during the daylight hours.
It is kind of ironic that the pain is worst when you lie down

weaversouth

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 7:05pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

Back making weaving drafts. Just FYI, if you want to weave, you first have to draft the pattern on paper. This is assuming that you want to do something original, otherwise, there are thousands out there you can use.

Maxx England

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 8:05pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

Do wot?

Lying down - I spent a month, first on the floor and then on a guest bed equipped with planks and just enough padding to avoid pressure sores. Not the most comfortable way to try and sleep, but it slowly worked until I had something that passed for normal movement. Now I have to live with the fact that if I'm not actually disabled, I'm certainly deeply inconvenienced. And I listen when the nerve grumbles, if I don't, then as you know, it shouts.

Hot baths - avoid, they loosen ligaments and allow more pressure on the sciatic nerve rather than relieve it. Showers, bucket and sponge, wet wipes even, but no hot baths. I miss them, but the risks are too great.

On the evidence here I may well be a mouse:

http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstract.bme/8736044/.....tic_action

marzgirl

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 1:06am Post subject: vicodin and friends

you can get codeine OTC there? wow wee! we can't get diddly OTC on this side of the pond, as you know. i alternate between tylenol and motrin for what that is worth. my sciatic is acting up again. i have an appt. on the 16th Oct. i had a discectomy this past march. my left sciatic feels tight again, like there is a knife sticking out of my left butt cheek. lost 30lbs since the surgery and that should have helped too, i am sure it did not hurt, but helped? interesting about the nicotine.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Maxx England

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 7:55pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

The one I'm frightened of is ibuprofen, it takes away physical discomfort but unfortunately takes away my short term memory too. It comes back once the stuff's out of your system, but for a significant percentage of the population, this is a bona fide side effect of the drug. And it's scary.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 8:27pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

I was given Vicodin for my knee and it made me puke.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

marzgirl

Posted Tue Sep 29th, 2009 1:29am Post subject: vicodin and friends

I have never heard of ibuprofen taking away short term memory! That is what the motrin is that I take daily alternating with the tylenol. My goodness!!!! I have taken it for years! Are there any links about this? Crapidy, crap, crap!!!!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Maxx England

Posted Tue Sep 29th, 2009 4:08pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

Try this one for size:

http://www.theannals.com/cgi/content/abstract/37/1/80

The memory loss is not usual in users of this analgaesic, but common enough to be remarked upon. Some people appear to be affected slowly, I get it immediately it's in the bloodstream. You find yourself somewhere wondering how you got there, or halfway through doing something you have no clear reason for.

I avoid driving now at all costs if my back is hurting enough to require a pain killer and that stuff is all that's available. I really don't want to be in charge of anything more mobile than an armchair until it wears off.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Sep 29th, 2009 4:21pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

Before I had the surgery on my knee I was taking Ibuprofin several times daily for pain. I had no memory loss, but it did ulcerate my stomach, so now if I need something "over the counter" for pain, Tylenol(Acetaminophen)is my only option, and it's useless.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

marzgirl

Posted Tue Sep 29th, 2009 9:41pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

Wow! I have not had anything like that. As for the stomach issues, I make sure I eat a little something with it, but I do have acid reflux. My stomach will be gone all together in a few years. When I have spasms pain relievers don't work anyway. I need a muscle relaxer. I take robaxin regularly and they give me valium or flexeril for really bad episodes. Vicodin or anything else wont touch it.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Wed Sep 30th, 2009 4:12am Post subject: vicodin and friends

The popular topic on morning talk shows and idiots like Dr.Phil and Oprah are people, with particular focus on Mothers/Wives ( we are a mother-hating/son-killing nation after all ), who are pain pill addicts.

These stories often have a backlash affect against people who MUST use pain killers. Paranoia is easily spread via The Great Flaming Eye (TV)...and the masses are asses of course, that helps a lot.

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Sep 30th, 2009 6:13pm Post subject: vicodin and friends

I saw those previews for the shows you mention Nitro. I wont be watching. I had a doctor send me home with a hot appendix telling me to go home and make an appt with my gyno. He mentioned my prior visits for ovarian cysts that had burst and I got the feeling he thought I was exaggerating female issues to get pills. Well, for one those hurt like hell, and for two my white blood count was high and the ultrasound was suspect. So, I was back the next day getting my appendix removed. I wonder if they see so many everyday that do come in just to get drugs that they just assume everyone is trying to get drugs. I can tell you it does not feel good to be one of those that is really in pain and in need and not be taken seriously, whatever the reason. I think when doctors loose their ability to have compassion and be objective, it is time for them to sit behind a microscope. They need to be able to ask themselves what they would do if the patient was their mom, dad, sister........

~Martin Luther King Jr.~