Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

KenyBoy

Posted Thu Aug 27th, 2009 4:14pm Post subject: Voice Plagiarism?

I'm new to this site, so not sure if this has been noticed. On radio (heard on talksport a lot recently) there is an ad for direct line insurance. It's obvious that the two voices presented are meant to be Stephen Fry and Paul Merton. Or, don't tell me that THEY have actually DONE the commercial! It's rather convincing.
I doubt they did it however, and I think that - although I'm no lawyer - that this ad is cheating a bit. Many people will actually believe that Fry and Merton are endorsing this service....dodgy, NO?

Cheers KenyBoy

Led Zeppelin, almost as good as The Who

BREAK.MY.FALL

Posted Thu Aug 27th, 2009 4:47pm Post subject: Voice Plagiarism?

I just listened to it...and I would say these two actually are Stephen Fry and Paul Merton. Sounds pretty much like Stephen to me.

KenyBoy

Posted Thu Aug 27th, 2009 5:10pm Post subject: Voice Plagiarism?

Hi BREAK.MY.FALL,
Perhaps you are correct, but it just had something a bit phony about it to me....NUFF SAID

Maxx England

Posted Thu Aug 27th, 2009 7:13pm Post subject: Voice Plagiarism?

There's laws covering the use of soundalikes anyway. It's called "personation", so even if it wasn't Stephen and Paul, they'd have to give their consent to the use of "their" voices. Which would probably involve money

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

KenyBoy

Posted Thu Aug 27th, 2009 7:26pm Post subject: Voice Plagiarism?

Fair enough Maxx...I shall say no more about it, apart from the fact that this is a great web site!

Maxx England

Posted Thu Aug 27th, 2009 7:38pm Post subject: Voice Plagiarism?

KenyBoy said:
Fair enough Maxx...I shall say no more about it, apart from the fact that this is a great web site!

Of course it is, in spite of you never having heard of Mississippi Fred Macdowell.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?