Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Kakapo

Posted Thu Dec 10th, 2009 3:13pm Post subject: Wannabe conservationist

Hi all

I am hoping to get into the world of conservation and am trying to research the best methods for joining an oversees project on more than just a volunteer basis, from what I’ve learnt so far a degree is usually needed and clear evidence of experience/volunteering.
I’m considering starting a foundation degree in Environmental Management and Conservation and then continuing on to attain the BSc, I am hoping someone can let me know if this is a well-respected qualification and if it would be worth having?

Any advice would be brilliant, thank you son much for your time.

Gizo

Posted Thu Jan 6th, 2011 3:14pm Post subject: Wannabe conservationist

I have no formal training in conservation but was lucky enough to get into the field when I was approached by a local NGO in Nigeria (I have lived there for fifteen years, after going to learn the Hausa language). However, I must say it is important to have a qualification if you are to stand a chance with the large NGOs, they seem to want more qualifications year by year and to hell with practical experience! Don't be put off, but I would recommend biology and wildlife management if you want to work hands on with wildlife, environment and development are great if you want to work in sustainable development and resource management. If you get the chance at some point get out to a country that needs volunteers and spend a decent amount of time and commitment there. I personally think there is absolutely no substitute for experience on the front line with a local NGO. You will certainly have to overcome many more challenges than those who have the comforts of large scale development operations, and more direct communication with the local people ... good luck. Try and get a course which has more practical content, not one of the heavy theory courses!

Gizo

Posted Thu Jan 6th, 2011 3:14pm Post subject: Wannabe conservationist

I have no formal training in conservation but was lucky enough to get into the field when I was approached by a local NGO in Nigeria (I have lived there for fifteen years, after going to learn the Hausa language). However, I must say it is important to have a qualification if you are to stand a chance with the large NGOs, they seem to want more qualifications year by year and to hell with practical experience! Don't be put off, but I would recommend biology and wildlife management if you want to work hands on with wildlife, environment and development are great if you want to work in sustainable development and resource management. If you get the chance at some point get out to a country that needs volunteers and spend a decent amount of time and commitment there. I personally think there is absolutely no substitute for experience on the front line with a local NGO. You will certainly have to overcome many more challenges than those who have the comforts of large scale development operations, and more direct communication with the local people ... good luck. Try and get a course which has more practical content, not one of the heavy theory courses!