Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Dec 28th, 2010 12:28am Post subject: Watch your ATM

If you've never heard of skimming, check this out. And give a little inspection to your ATM next time you go to pull some cash

There are pics with this link:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

BTW, krebs on security is a well done site and recently indicated *another* security problem with IE and Vista/Win7. Big surprise<--snark!

Really? Wow.

c.andrews

Posted Tue Feb 15th, 2011 2:27pm Post subject: Watch your ATM

I have read this somewhere and it’s really alarming. I remember an incident in one country that a syndicate worked their way up a restaurant and managed to copy customer’s credit cards in a matter of seconds. That’s the problem with some technology, that all the information could be stored in a single chip. If the “bad guys” find their way around it then we are screwed. Imagine being able to copy the whole credit card by just inserting it in a machine even smaller than a mobile phone.

Nitro

Posted Fri Feb 18th, 2011 4:30am Post subject: Watch your ATM

Regarding your comment about a chip, there is a virus out there...hmmm..the name escapes me at the mo', starts with an 's'..anyway, it's quite a nasty little program. The bottom line of it is that there are thousands of 'chips' out there and Siemens is a big maker of them. They're embedded in all sorts of control systems in a variety of environments. This virus seeks those specific chips out and essentially shuts them down ( I'm being grossly general here ). However, if it doesn't find the chips it doesn't do anything. Yet.

Security is one of those things where the people trying to keep things out are always a distance behind those trying to get in.

Syndicates such as you speak of are a lot like that. Tech is so cheap now and so pervasive, they can create their own server farms pretty quickly and they're really tough to discover. By the time they are, the makers have split and ten more pop up. People interested in network security careers ( you better have a squeaky clean background and foreground btw ) will have some opportunities for a while. The problem is becoming one, though, of 'the bad guys' and 'the good guys' not being so black and white as they used to be.

Really? Wow.