Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 1:35pm Post subject: Watership Down
Did you ever wonder what Stephen would look like as a rabbit?

He was the voice of Cowslip in the little-known kids' series adaptation of Richard Adams' 'Watership Down'. Simply brilliant. Cowslip is a strange rabbit whose warren is full of snares and he just accepts that his rabbits die and nobody speaks of them once they're dead. Bit weird. Did anyone ever hear of/watch this series? I'll post a clip of Cowslip on YouTube later and give you the link. In the meantime, here's a picture of him.

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 3:16pm Post subject: Watership Down
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7-oWn677ErY

Here's that clip I promised you.

trouser material

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 7:43pm Post subject: Watership Down
I loved the 70s animated version when i was a child. With the fields covered in blood and the black rabbit... *shudder* still sends shivers down my spine thinking about it.

I've not heard of this little known version, perhaps for that very reason. I'll click your link when i'm elsewhere.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 4:52pm Post subject: Watership Down
OMG! I remember that episode!! I knew Stephen Fry was in it but I couldn't remember which character. Thanks for uploading that. That was a creepy character he played. I loved the original 70s version and I enjoyed the 90s version as well. I watched this every week on CITV. It was a pretty star studded cast. John Hurt was in both the original 70s version as Hazel and the 90s version as General Woundwort. Richard Briers was also in both versions, in the 70s as Fiver and the 90s as Captain Broom. Other stars in the series included Rik Mayall (as Kehaar the seagull couldn't mis him could ya?), Jane Horrocks, Kate Ashfield, Dawn French, Stephen Gately, Phil Jupitus and Tim McInnerny.

Did anyone else used to watch Animals of Farthing Wood. It was a similar kind of thing. A show where your favourite characters probably will die....horribly.

Assuming direct control...

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 6:52pm Post subject: Watership Down
OMG! I remember that episode!! I knew Stephen Fry was in it but I couldn't remember which character. Thanks for uploading that. That was a creepy character he played. I loved the original 70s version and I enjoyed the 90s version as well. I watched this every week on CITV. It was a pretty star studded cast. John Hurt was in both the original 70s version as Hazel and the 90s version as General Woundwort. Richard Briers was also in both versions, in the 70s as Fiver and the 90s as Captain Broom. Other stars in the series included Rik Mayall (as Kehaar the seagull couldn't mis him could ya?), Jane Horrocks, Kate Ashfield, Dawn French, Stephen Gately, Phil Jupitus and Tim McInnerny.

Did anyone else used to watch Animals of Farthing Wood. It was a similar kind of thing. A show where your favourite characters probably will die....horribly.

Tim's in it? I didn't know that and I've avidly watched every episode! I'll have to look into that. Animals of Farthing Wood was brilliant! Series 3 with the rats was no where near as good as the first 2 series, but still a nice programme to watch. They really beat Bold the fox cub up, didn't they? Never read the books so I don't know how bad that actually was. Probably much worse than the TV version. Right, gonna find out who Tim was now. Lord Percy Percy of Darling warren?

EDIT: Ah, the freaky Silverweed from series 1! Didn't come back for series 3... really weird, that, since the two voices are totally different.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 7:38pm Post subject: Watership Down
Quite a few characters in Watership Down had more than one voice artist over the series. A shame.

The third series of Animals of Farthing Wood couldn't hold a candle to the first two. There are ten books altogether but I never got round to reading them. I did collect the magazine series though. :-//

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 7:39pm Post subject: Watership Down
Quite a few characters in Watership Down had more than one voice artist over the series. A shame.

The third series of Animals of Farthing Wood couldn't hold a candle to the first two. There are ten books altogether but I never got round to reading them. I did collect the magazine series though. :-//

I didn't collect the magazine, but I did have a sticker book ages ago. The kind with static clings rather than adhesive, so it's kind of like a playset thing rather than an album. Twas cool.

Hey, I was just listening to my Hippopotamus audio book and he mentioned Watership Down! I was like: "Stephen, you read my mind!!"

ClareBear

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 8:37pm Post subject: Watership Down

I didn't collect the magazine, but I did have a sticker book ages ago. The kind with static clings rather than adhesive, so it's kind of like a playset thing rather than an album. Twas cool.

The sticker book itself came with the first issue, the stickers came with the next 12. I collected well over 100 issues :-// before losing interest and giving them all to the local children's ward.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 9:05pm Post subject: Watership Down

The sticker book itself came with the first issue, the stickers came with the next 12. I collected well over 100 issues :-// before losing interest and giving them all to the local children's ward.

I remember the sticker book. I liked the Christmas and Summer special editions of the magazine best. I can't remember how far I got with them, I got a bit bored with them too after awhile.

meekychuppet

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:29pm Post subject: Watership Down
Watership down is book about rabbits by a civil servants.

I gotta be honest here. I would rather read a book about civil servants written by a rabbit.

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:59pm Post subject: Watership Down

I gotta be honest here. I would rather read a book about civil servants written by a rabbit.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I think the book is very much an acquired taste. Very strange story if you're not into that sort of thing.

Terri

Posted Tue Jun 5th, 2007 12:44pm Post subject: Watership Down

Well it would certainly have novelty value, and I'd like to be the rabbit's agent

The book of Watership Down is, I think, one of those books every child should at least try to read, even if they don't get through it all. (and who the hell cares if it's written by a civil servant anyway? I've written things people - who have no connection to me - have said they enjoyed!)

I don't think I saw any series - but then the book had such an impact on me I might not have wanted to. I probably read it at just the right time in my life when I was receptive to that kind of writing.

I did see the film though, much later, and thought it was very well done, in quite a simple way. Don't think it'd have the same dark charm if it was made with new technology though.

Shyamz

Posted Thu Jul 12th, 2007 12:33am Post subject: Watership Down
Here's a quite interesting fact,

My mum used to be a psychiatric nurse at the Middlesex Hospital-the biggest teaching hospital in the country-this, and the fact that it's in London meant that they very often had to treat some fairly well know people...but that's another story.

During the production of the original seventies "Watership Down", a girl animator was brought in, very depressed and quiet.

It turned out that she was drawing rabbits all day every day (it been the old stop-frame days), and was still drawing in hospital to meet deadlnes. She was seeing rabbits everywhere, had become quite obsessional and had gone mad. After trying to throw her drawings out of a window, they had to keep a very close eye on her, and after she went home, she never worked in animation again.

Sad really, when you consider how much easier it is for animators these days, what with the advances in animation tecniques.

Shyamz

Posted Thu Jul 12th, 2007 12:37am Post subject: Watership Down

Oh I remember that! I loved it, I read the book too, I didn't know there were so many.

Monday's Child

Posted Thu Jul 12th, 2007 10:39am Post subject: Watership Down
I'll hold my hands up and admit that I've neither read Watership Down nor watched any screen adaptation of it. Somehow I've managed to avoid it thus far. Maybe I'll watch it one day, although it'll probably make me cry from what I've heard.

I used to love Animals of Farthing Wood and I collected the magazine. It was pretty harrowing sometimes, what with all the deaths and the antagonism and so forth going on. My favourites were Badger, Fox and Mole. They don't make kids' tv like that anymore do they?