Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Sep 9th, 2009 2:46pm Post subject: "We the people..."

I'd like to think that "reform" would mean that there would be consequences if they were to do that, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 5:06pm Post subject: "We the people..."

3 things spring to my mind almost immediately, this could have been done long ago, those tax credits would have to be incredibly hefty, and how many folks will die during that 4 year wait. GIT 'ER DONE NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_3okCBfUc&feature=topvideos

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 7:33pm Post subject: "We the people..."

yeah 4 years seems way way too long! can't something be set up and then adapted?

obama said we'd use mccain's idea of a "high risk pool" to get through those 4 years, but 4 years is a long time.

my own health situation is NOT drastic,but 4 years wait is not very good for ANYone.

last time i had severe mental breakdown i didn't have insurance. and as you'd expect w/mental probs, i've left jobs, moved, etc...and now have insurance but it is only temporary through Americorps. i know from the past experience that if i get diagnosed with something beyond "situational depression" while on this temp insurance, it won't be covered when i move on in life to a new job, etc.

so everytime things get ... touchy... and i get back on the ground enough to think "do i need to get this checked out again?" that's one thing that weighs heavy.

that particular mess, started when i was 29...and i MIGHT be insured enough to be diagnosed (if i need to be) at 36.

luckily it has not become a huge problem, i haven't had anything massive happen. but i know there's probly lots of folks out there in similar situations where it IS a huge problem.

what's that like for folks who have greater needs, or are older, etc?

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Sep 12th, 2009 8:09pm Post subject: "We the people..."

Here's a breakdown in writing from Organizing for America:
http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/hcsignonvid.....on_vid_fwd

Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 3:12pm Post subject: "We the people..."

here's the most bass ackwards pre existing condition i've ever heard of...

http://tinyurl.com/l6z9cl

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

marzgirl

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 4:51pm Post subject: "We the people..."

Man, this is so hard.......I really don't know what to believe. There are so many arguements from both sides and it seems to me that no matter what some groups of people are going to get left out and get the short end of the stick. I just really don't know what the right answers are, if there are any. Is it just a matter of picking the lesser of the evils?

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

joan

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 4:42am Post subject: "We the people..."

IdeaCollector said:
Maxx I really don't like it when you speak in derogatory tones about Christianity on so many subjects...the health care issue here in the U.S. is more a party division than anything. Fundamentalist Christians can be found in both parties so they are on both sides of the debate.

I'm sorry that Christianity apparently has upset you before or continues to upset you but I don't rant about what atheists do b/c groups can't be defined by one position.

There are christians on both sides of every debate that rages in this country from gay rights to taxes to health care to etc.

Just re-reading this thread. I don't think Christians themselves upset anyone - I'm quite fond of dotty vicars, church choirs, lovely church architecture, and church run programs to help people.

What I loathe is fundamentalist christianity, creationism, and the christian right. They cause real social harm, trying to affect how real science is taught in schools, trying to prevent scared and reluctant pregnant girls having abortions while simultaneously opposing contraceptive advice and sex education in schools. And what about those celibacy programs? Never heard anything as daft since the 1950s ended. They push a right wing agenda politically, and oppose progressive things like gay rights, ignoring all the science concerning what it means to be gay. They are a nasty blot on society, and should have no place in the 21st century. Born again indeed! You could be forgiven for objecting to them being born in the first place.

Oh, and of course, they oppose Obama on Health:-

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/163524.php

End of rant.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 8:22am Post subject: "We the people..."

As they say...the Christian right...is neither Christian...nor right.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

PamJH

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 2:13pm Post subject: "We the people..."

Here's a simple bit: Those who are well-insured are the ones who have political clout, the time to protest and are under the impression that they'll go broke if they support a government insurance plan for those who aren't as well off as they are. As soon as they lose their insurance to this recession that hasn't budged more than a few inches, they'll not change their tunes. I don't just suppose this, either. All you have to do is talk to the protesters, which I've done. They all say, "Yes, I have insurance, but......"

I dare anyone to find me an uninsured person who is against some sort of reform.