Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

The Unshaven

Posted Tue Nov 24th, 2009 4:55am Post subject: 'Weird Tales' starts selling e-reader subscriptions.

I think it's awesome that a fiction magazine started in 1923 is now embracing selling subscriptions to e-readers. At the moment it's purely to the Sony Reader, but the site itself says that more are on the way:

http://weirdtales.net/wordpress/subscribe/

Considering the extent to which most fiction magazines have *not* been embracing technology, I hope this is the start of a trend that might revitalise the industry. Or, failing that, which does appropriately well for 'Weird Tales.'

- The Unshaven

Nitro

Posted Tue Nov 24th, 2009 9:49pm Post subject: 'Weird Tales' starts selling e-reader subscriptions.

Personally, I hope both can remain. Paper as well as digital.

I'm disinclined to use electronic gadgetry in the bathtub. I far prefer the tactile sensation of a book/magaine/newspaper over plastic and/or metal.

Besides, if newspapers go by the wayside, how will we potty train our dogs?

Really? Wow.

The Unshaven

Posted Wed Nov 25th, 2009 8:49pm Post subject: 'Weird Tales' starts selling e-reader subscriptions.

Absolutely, I think we need both. What's excited me is that the subscription rates for the big fiction magazines have been in freefall for years, and they had entirely failed to make any use of new technology.

"Weird Tales" is exploring other options, and I hope it works out for them.

- The Unshaven