Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Libramum

Posted Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 2:17am Post subject: Well Done!
I have finished watching the 1st installment on UTube of HIV & Me, and have started the second. It has been very informative and a good 'nudge in the side' . We revisited some of the STD's in the PreHealth program I took, but not as indepth as Mr. Fry did.

The series has prompted me to investigate regardless, but I was surprised the issue of blood transfusions was not raised. As a child (in the mid 80's), I underwent surgery for scoliosis and apparently had received a blood transfusion. A few years later my mom called crying saying something to the effect of that I could be very sick and needed to get tested right away. To be completely honest, my mom likes to dive into the bottle quite often and gets a little carried away, so I went to my dad. He reassured me all was likely well, but when he agreed with my mom I should get tested, I admit I was a bit more then scared.

I remember as a pre-teen; a virgin and, never having touched drugs, reading all the HIV/AIDS info pamphlets in a sex information/testing clinic. It scared me to death, and I was so mad that a very painful thing I had gone through to make my life better was now possibly going to cause me to become more sick and die.

My dad was right and both tests for HIV and Hep C came back negative, but now over 20 yrs later (with a little prompting) I remember how lucky I am and that NO ONE is truly exempt. It is a disease that reaches beyond the gay and drug using communities.

Thank you for the reminder Mr. Fry, very well done!
** Soupy Twist! **

++++ EDIT
Haha, Ok...I just watched I2, P6 and saw the blood transfusion story, my bad sorry! :-//
My comments still hold true though...well done! hehe

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 4:21am Post subject: Well Done!
I just finished watching part two after looking for it for ages...and I count myself terribly lucky as I have had several blood transfusions since I was very little and growing up in the 80's.

I've had a million health problems but there but for the grace that I don't have HIV amongst those issues.

A fab documentary!

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Libramum

Posted Thu Jul 24th, 2008 2:31am Post subject: Well Done!
I couldn't agree with you more!

I've had a million health problems but there but for the grace that I don't have HIV amongst those issues.

A fab documentary!