Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sun Apr 5th, 2009 4:06pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
When those words come from a government, it's scary. X-D

I wish people would look under the hood at the social do-gooders movement pervasive now in government locally and upwards..

On the right, you've got religious nuts who insist God wants to control women and gay peoples bodies.

On the left, you've got knuckleheads who want to control EVERYONE'S bodies X-D

The war on tobacco is so beyond absurd it's mind boggling. Next we'll be taxing overweight people more than thin, because obesity puts such a financial strain on the medical system.

And when someone starts telling me they buy dog food that will ensure their pet 'poops in an environmentally friendly way...aka 'green' ", I feel like I'm living in the theater of the absurd 24/7.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Sun Apr 5th, 2009 6:20pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
I have to agree with your view on the tobacco war.

We have known about the dangers of smoking for at least two generations now. Anyone who claims he or she did not know the dangers and has the audacity to sue the tobacco companies should be tossed out of court on his or her ass. Don't put me on the jury because I'll side with the tobacco companies every time.

No one told anyone to smoke. It's a choice. Do or don't do it, then be quiet about it. If you take the risk, accept the responsibility.

The government depends on the tobacco sin tax for a great deal of revenue. What happens when people quit smoking? You might be right, Nitro. Overweight people will have to start paying a Twinkie tax.

I'm going off on my own rant here and it probably has very little to do with what you said in the first place so I'll stop now and thank you for raising my blood pressure. Whew!

Maxx England

Posted Sun Apr 5th, 2009 9:08pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
I've had people tell me that motorcyclists should pay for their NHS care when they have an accident in the past. So I've asked what about rugby players & horse riders? Take a trip round a spinal injury ward, young horse riding women in one half, young rugby playing men in the other. But that doesn't seem to matter to some people; this is The Other Racism in Britain. You can't pick on black, gay, disabled. I know! Let's go after somebody who likes doing something different to what I do!

You makes yer choice, you takes yer risk. I could have tried to get compenstion in the past for sporting injuries, but I know that the organisers (and ultimately the competitors) only end up paying more for their insurance in order to be able to run. Assuming of course that the organisers bother running it again.

Tobacco, booze, you can't say you weren't warned. Pam, let's form a Transatlantic hit squad on 'em

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Sun Apr 5th, 2009 9:41pm Post subject: We're Here To Help

Tobacco, booze, you can't say you weren't warned. Pam, let's form a Transatlantic hit squad on 'em

Yes, let's. I want to be called Madam Chairwoman.

sheepchrist

Posted Mon Apr 6th, 2009 11:02pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
[quote="PamJH"]I have to agree with your view on the tobacco war.

It is one of the human traits that irritates me the most:

The human need to kick someone, blame someone and ultimately seek compensation.

I am also beginning to hate the fact that we are now declaring war on everything

The fog of war on tobacco
The snorting war on drugs
The wibbly wobbly war on obesity
The trembling war on terror

The war on terriers (and other small dogs) is completely barking

I want a war on wars why can’t we all just have a big fluffy warm cuddle and stop being so god damn human

Ruffian

Posted Mon Apr 6th, 2009 11:50pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
I want a war on wars why can’t we all just have a big fluffy warm cuddle and stop being so god damn human

Aww, that just reminded me of that Shel Silverstein poem Hug O' War... And now I'm grinning like an idiot.

PamJH

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 1:29am Post subject: We're Here To Help

It is one of the human traits that irritates me the most:

The human need to kick someone, blame someone and ultimately seek compensation.

Isn't that the truth?
I bought my kids Harry Potter brooms years ago. The packages actually said: Brooms do not fly. Do not attempt to make brooms fly.

Are consumers really that stupid? Do we have to be told not to jump off the house in an attempt to fly on a plastic broom? Apparently we do because someone, somewhere will sue somebody.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 4:20pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
I think, Madam Chairwoman, that you are in a state of divergence from modern thinking; you eschew the grasping attitude that uses any and every opportunity to connive at the financial downfall of another person or institution. We shall have to send the Greed Police round to reprogramme you and return you to the same bovine avarice that afflicts so much of the world today.

PamJH

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 6:00pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
I think, Madam Chairwoman, that you are in a state of divergence from modern thinking; you eschew the grasping attitude that uses any and every opportunity to connive at the financial downfall of another person or institution. We shall have to send the Greed Police round to reprogramme you and return you to the same bovine avarice that afflicts so much of the world today.

Send them round. I'll sue them, too!:D

And the bovines? They'll need to be sued, too, for hoarding all that milk.

Maybe I won't be able to be Madam Chairwoman after all. My avarice bone is acting up.

sheepchrist

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 8:30pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
[quote="PamJH"]

And the bovines? They'll need to be sued, too, for hoarding all that milk.

X-D

Damn its been so long since I spat out coffee

Im not entirely sure why, but the term "bovine" makes me laugh regardless of context.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 8:32pm Post subject: We're Here To Help
Not thinking of the old c & w singer, Red Bovine are you?