Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ClareBear

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 12:30am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Ask me questions!

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 1:34am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
questions?

see what I did there?

ysabella

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 4:05am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Why do Brits and Canadians spell words like labour, glamour, and colour with a U, and Americans spell them labor, glamor, color, etc.?

Although actually, we kind of use glamour. But color and labor, totally U-free.

Aoibheann

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 5:00am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
I think i might know this one.....

Cause Americans are ridiculous people who cant spell right.

melampus

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 6:41am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
OMG this is my 100th post! Yay me!!!

I think Fowler (he of the dictionary fame) said these words should be spelt this way because it simplified things. For example, if you spelt 'labour' with the 'u' and then wanted to write 'laborious', well, that's two spellings for a similar word because you have to drop the 'u' to spell 'laborious'.

Also, it might have something to do with the English language at the time of the first landing of Europeans in North America. I think (well, to be honest I am only guessing) that the English of that time was based on Latin-like spellings, whereas in the UK etc the language evolved in a slightly different way.

Then again, I could be spouting a load of crap.

Hey Atari, I bet you don't know what a baby platypus is called (and don't you dare go looking up Wiki)!

trouser material

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 8:36am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Atari - What is the distance from Planet Earth to the giant star Betelgeuse - in miles?

ClareBear

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 10:23am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Atari - What is the distance from Planet Earth to the giant star Betelgeuse - in miles?

427 light-years, which is......

2,510,173,034,349,401 miles.

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 11:13am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?

RED giant.

Britannicus

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 11:17am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Red SUPERgiant. It's frickin' huge.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 11:19am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Are you stepping up to the plate my boy? Bearing in mind I am an amateur astronomer...

Britannicus

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 11:25am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
So am I. In a very minimal way... Orion is a part of that tiny patch of nightsky that I actually pay full attention to.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 11:58am Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Thank you! It;s been bugging me for yonks.

Wow. I can't believe that it's been bugging anyone. X-D

It would be so cool to be a QI elf, but I can never remember random facts. I remember that we're still in an ice age and that an atom is mostly nothing and Alexander Graham Bell didn't invent the telephone the thieving bastard, but not much else.

Ok Atari - by whom were curtains invented?

(Just looking around the room...)

ClareBear

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:11pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?

Erm....You might've stumped me there

*hides*

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:16pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Why do Brits and Canadians spell words like labour, glamour, and colour with a U, and Americans spell them labor, glamor, color, etc.?

Because that bastard Noah Webster - who is to American dictionaries what James Murray is to British ones - thought it would be a good idea to simplify English spelling (though one wonders, why didn't he go one step further with "honor" and remove the"H"?). Fortunately not everybody agreed with his ideas, even in America. When he suggested changing the spelling of "laugh" to "laf" they all laffed!

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:16pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Thank you! It;s been bugging me for yonks.

Wow. I can't believe that it's been bugging anyone. X-D

It would be so cool to be a QI elf, but I can never remember random facts. I remember that we're still in an ice age and that an atom is mostly nothing and Alexander Graham Bell didn't invent the telephone the thieving bastard, but not much else.

(Just looking around the room...)

I would surmise that no-one knows but I would go for Jehovah. The Veil in the tabernacle is the first written account of a curtain being used.