Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:28pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Thank you! It;s been bugging me for yonks.

Wow. I can't believe that it's been bugging anyone. X-D

It would be so cool to be a QI elf, but I can never remember random facts. I remember that we're still in an ice age and that an atom is mostly nothing and Alexander Graham Bell didn't invent the telephone the thieving bastard, but not much else.

Ok Atari - by whom were curtains invented?

(Just looking around the room...)

I would surmise that no-one knows but I would go for Jehovah. The Veil in the tabernacle is the first written account of a curtain being used.

What about the curtain in the synagogue that covers something? When Jesus died it split in two. Something holy's in there...

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:32pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Thank you! It;s been bugging me for yonks.

Wow. I can't believe that it's been bugging anyone. X-D

It would be so cool to be a QI elf, but I can never remember random facts. I remember that we're still in an ice age and that an atom is mostly nothing and Alexander Graham Bell didn't invent the telephone the thieving bastard, but not much else.

Ok Atari - by whom were curtains invented?

(Just looking around the room...)

I would surmise that no-one knows but I would go for Jehovah. The Veil in the tabernacle is the first written account of a curtain being used.

What about the curtain in the synagogue that covers something? When Jesus died it split in two. Something holy's in there...

Correct. It separated the world from the Most Holy Place (Holy of Holies). Only the priest could enter, once a year to offer atonement for the nation's sin.

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:37pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?

Ok another question for anyone who's listening -
What's the difference between a nut, a bolt, a screw and a nail?

Bloody annoys me, this one.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:39pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
The difference between all four, or two of them?

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:42pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
All 4. I know they're all used in building things, but I don't know what any of them are by definition. To me, it's usually "that one".

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:46pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Nut = a sort of hexagonal thingy
Bolt = the screwy thing a nut goes on
Nail = thing you hammer
Screw = looks like a nail but you screw it

trouser material

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:53pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Atari - What is the distance from Planet Earth to the giant star Betelgeuse - in miles?

RED giant.

Thank you pedant.

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:56pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Nut = a sort of hexagonal thingy
Bolt = the screwy thing a nut goes on
Nail = thing you hammer
Screw = looks like a nail but you screw it

Cheers. X-D

trouser material

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:01pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Atari - What is the distance from Planet Earth to the giant star Betelgeuse - in miles?

427 light-years, which is......

2,510,173,034,349,401 miles.

Thankyou, i couldn't sleep last night pondering that one. I do hope you didn't google it as, of course, its against the rules. But i'm sure you knew that one, off the top of your noggin.

ClareBear

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:05pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
I had to google a lighyears->miles conversion.

trouser material

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:06pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
*tut*

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:10pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
i couldn't sleep last night pondering that one.

Am I mental, or does anybody else ever get to being totally and completely amazed at the scale of everything?

Have the clever scientists got an estimate for the size of the universe, or do they just say Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. ?

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:27pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?

Am I mental, or does anybody else ever get to being totally and completely amazed at the scale of everything?

Have the clever scientists got an estimate for the size of the universe, or do they just say Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. ?

The size of the universe can be pinned down very accurately although the number are mind boggling. The actual number is huge but all one has to do is plot the expansion rate of the universe in accordance with how fast it cooled. It is possible to plot backwards how it happened, that's how the erroneously named Big Bang theory came in to being. The main difficulty is dark matter. Around 80% of the universe is missing.

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:32pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?

The size of the universe can be pinned down very accurately although the number are mind boggling. The actual number is huge but all one has to do is plot the expansion rate of the universe in accordance with how fast it cooled. It is possible to plot backwards how it happened, that's how the erroneously named Big Bang theory came in to being. The main difficulty is dark matter. Around 80% of the universe is missing.

I love that fact. I suppose that's why it's called space.

We were learning about space and stars and planets and that in physics, and this guy in my class (probably the only human being in the world whom I hate so much I can't actually talk to him without hurting him in some way) was saying "Oy sir, I go' a question." Oh Christ... His question was "If the universe is expanding, what's it expanding into?" First of all, fuck off, Barry. Second, he saw that question on the TV advert trying to get people to become teachers. Third, how does he expect anyone to know that?? I said that to him and he said (well, shouted. He seems incapable of speaking in a normal way) "Iss justa question, oright?"

Sorry for the rant, I just bloody hate him.

So does anyone actually know the estimated size of the universe?

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:36pm Post subject: What are the circles that a hole punch takes out called?
Questions like that prove how stupid the questioner is.