Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Julia from Bristol

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 10:46am Post subject: What are you reading?
Not sure if there is already a thread like this but..

I'm reading a really good book & wanted to share it with you. Then I thought, folks out there will be in the same position so...

I'm reading Alexander McCall Smith's '2 1/2 Pillars of wisdom'. He has a brilliant way of creating character. In this book it centres around one German professor with 2 professorial friends. It is a delight, really comical in parts & a good reflection on life.

AMS also wrote 'The No.! Ladies Detective' series which those in the UK may have seen on TV!

So, what are you reading!

I have a cunning plan!

Help

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 11:27am Post subject: What are you reading?
Right now, the Crack Magazine
At home I'm reading the Motley Crue autobiography....

Telepresent

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 1:59pm Post subject: What are you reading?
I'm going through the Dune trilogy at the moment (Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune - though confusingly Dune consists of Dune, Muad'Dib and The Prophet), and am about a quarter of the way through Muad'Dib, so there's a fair bit to go!

I need to read a massive book every now and then, as I just go through books so damned fast... I'll get through the average 250-300 page book in a day or two.

Just finished reading A Portrait of the Arsonist as a Young Man, and that's bloody brilliant. A real character piece - the writings of a young man (clearly with an undiagnosed personality disorder) waiting to go on trial for arson and manslaughter. Check it out.

PamJH

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 2:25pm Post subject: What are you reading?
World of Jeeves, an anniversary compilation by none other than Wodehouse.

exoskeleton

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 2:39pm Post subject: What are you reading?
I'm reading The Hippopotamus (which I just said yesterday I believe)
and I've stopped cold in the middle of The Two Towers for months but technically I'm reading that and will finish it. I just can't keep track of Middle Earth during the semester.

sockdolager.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 3:19pm Post subject: What are you reading?

Just finished reading A Portrait of the Arsonist as a Young Man, and that's bloody brilliant. A real character piece - the writings of a young man (clearly with an undiagnosed personality disorder) waiting to go on trial for arson and manslaughter. Check it out.

Perhaps not just before bed!

I have a cunning plan!

TheElephant

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 3:49pm Post subject: What are you reading?
Just started Mostly Harmless.
I'm sure when I last read the series I had to stop for a break half way through the fourth book so that my head didn't explode. My brain obviously doesn't try as hard now I'm a bit older, and it all washes over a bit.
Although thinking about it, I tended to read a book in a day or two back then which might have made the difference.

Also started 'Made to Stick' a couple of days ago.
Looking at how to put an idea across in a way that........sticks.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 3:54pm Post subject: What are you reading?
I'm reading Making History and Overcoming Low Self Esteem and Managing Your Mood and a book about Darwin and half way through re-reading The Selfish Gene.

Two of them are homework, I don't usually read so many books at one time.

I'm really enjoying Making History and can't believe its taken me so long to get round to reading it.

Queen Marge

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 3:56pm Post subject: What are you reading?
I have a few books on the go at the moment, including 'The Devil in the Kitchen' by Marco Pierre White.

gjhsu

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 4:44pm Post subject: What are you reading?
During the day, Wodehouse's "The Inimitable Jeeves". In the evening, Stephen Fry is reading to me Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. "Re-reading" in time for the movie this summer.

Rain Dog

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 5:02pm Post subject: What are you reading?
Apart from history books, I'm currently reading Michael Palin's Diaries 1969-1979 and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. And I already have a big pile of books from the library that I hope I have time to read.

I'm also reading Alan Bennett's play The History Boys for the umpteenth time. I just love it so much, and since the book's so slim I'm carrying it with me everywhere and re-reading it all the time.

Help

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 5:06pm Post subject: What are you reading?
During the day, Wodehouse's "The Inimitable Jeeves". In the evening, Stephen Fry is reading to me Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. "Re-reading" in time for the movie this summer.
Oh that is such a good idea. Stephen brings those books to life. I mean I think they're fantastic as it is, but he somehow manages to make them even better?
I must listen to it before the next film.

elTweeno

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 5:45pm Post subject: What are you reading?
*takes a deep breath*

A Writers' Tale by Russell T. Davies & Benjamin Cook (re-reading) because I'm very much in creative mind lately and RTD puts across so many creative thought patterns so well, and always makes me feel like writing or drawing something.

Moab is my Washpot (re-read) because it's brilliant. There's nothing more to say!

Guards! Guards by Terry Pratchett, for a bit of comedy.

Dracula by Bram Stoker (re-read).

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (on my iPhone).

All of those at once, plus random comics, articles etc as usual!

Any recommendations on what to read next are definitely welcome - I fancy reading more new things, other than just re-reading brilliant books time & time again.

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

Julia from Bristol

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 5:58pm Post subject: What are you reading?
I'm also reading Marcus Trescothick's 'Coming Back to Me'. He's a cricketer who suffers from depression. The book is about how he discovered this & the impact it had on his career. Lots of cricket in it but I'm now getting to the illness part.

I have a cunning plan!

Maxx England

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 7:09pm Post subject: What are you reading?
Copy after copy of Aeroplane Monthly from 30+ years ago. Some quite startling things recorded from only a comparatively few years earlier. How many even in the aviation world know what a Burnelli lifting body was? Absolutely no use to anyone here, but a joy to see the inventiveness of the human mind at work.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?