Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jun 28th, 2007 2:28pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I've managed to get a good bit of reading done lately with work winding down to the end of term and my exams now over. It took me a long time to finish Theodore Zeldin's "An Intimate History of Humanity" because of studying. I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it. he's a very humane, well-read French polymath, but his optimistic prognosis for the human race based on its past actions and present obsessions seems a little sugary and commercial, without the wit and fluffiness of a Stephen Fry.
After that I devoured "The Surgeon of Crowthorne", the story of the relationship between James Murray, Scottish editor of the first Oxford English Dictionary, and Dr WC Minor, an American murderer in a British asylum who became one of the dictionary's most valuable researchers from his cell. I found parts of it extremely useful in my exams too and even referred to the 2 men in a newspaper editorial I had to write for part 6.
Now I've started "Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic" by Tom Holland. This is a fascinating history of the last 100 years of Rome's republican era, with some very clear parallels to modern history, particularly Bush and Saddam, British American relations, Bush's election and popularity and the swaggering status of US interventionist foreign policy, all the while denying imperialism.
What about you folks? What are you reading?

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Jun 28th, 2007 3:34pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Conrad's "Under Western Eyes". Conrad's the man. He and Nabokov are my literary heroes. I'm ETL, too.

trouser material

Posted Thu Jun 28th, 2007 3:34pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
The 'what are you reading now' thread.

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Jun 28th, 2007 3:37pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Why not?

trouser material

Posted Thu Jun 28th, 2007 3:38pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Yes i am.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jun 28th, 2007 7:05pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I've just finished reading 'Tragically I Was an Only Twin' (Peter Cook). It's one of those books you can dip in and out of at will and read in any order and re-read your favourite bits over and over. My favourite chapters were E.L. Wisty, Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling, Private Eye and Monday Morning Feeling. His writing is simply sublime. The places he goes with it is just dizzying.

I'm now dipping in and out of Paperweight again whenever I'm in the mood while I decide what to read next. Decisions decisions!

Assuming direct control...

Lorna

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 6:37pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
"Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic" by Tom Holland. This is a fascinating history of the last 100 years of Rome's republican era, with some very clear parallels to modern history, particularly Bush and Saddam, British American relations, Bush's election and popularity and the swaggering status of US interventionist foreign policy, all the while denying imperialism.
What about you folks? What are you reading?

I live in Texas and I am just disgusted with everything Dubbya and Them are doing. So is my husband-Vietnam veteran and my daughter- ER nurse, and her husband-army doctor. Just about everyone at Ft. Hood in Texas feels the same. It is horrible not only what they are doing abroad, but what they are doing to our home, the USA. They are really fucking everything up.
I cannot understand the ignorant US citizens who voted for that clown again.
Fortunately I have Wodehouse to escape to. I am currently reading Psmith in the City As I read, I hear Psmith's dialogue spoken in Stephen Fry's voice. Of course Psmith is, in this novel, only 19 or so, and though very tall, is an extremely well dressed bean pole. I see him as a fore-runner of Jeeves. It is as if Psmith is the very best of Bertie Wooster and Reginald Jeeves combined into one young man. Pure ecstasy!

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 6:42pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I like the Psmith books even better than the Jeeves books. Pity Stephen and Hugh didn't get a chance to play Psmith and Mike when they were young.

Lorna

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 6:49pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I like the Psmith books even better than the Jeeves books. Pity Stephen and Hugh didn't get a chance to play Psmith and Mike when they were young.

I KNOW, right? I picture an alternative world where anything can happen, and in that world, Laurie and Fry can go back and play those parts when they are still at Cambridge! I just know there must be such a place, because, you know, there ought to be!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 6:54pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I'm sure that somewhere in omniverse they are performing Psmith.

Assuming direct control...

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 6:55pm Post subject: What are you reading now?

I KNOW, right? I picture an alternative world where anything can happen, and in that world, Laurie and Fry can go back and play those parts when they are still at Cambridge! I just know there must be such a place, because, you know, there ought to be!

When I invent a time-machine, that will be pretty much the first use I put it to. XD

Lorna

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 6:58pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Thank you XD ~ I knew I could count on you!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 9:24pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I wish John Le Mesurier had starred in a TV series of the Blandings stories.

Lorna

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 9:35pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I wish John Le Mesurier had starred in a TV series of the Blandings stories.
I will look up this name directly I post this. Meantime, which part would you have him play? (what a lovely idea ~ a television series of Blandings! )

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 9:58pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I imagine him as Lord Emsworth.
John Lennon, when asked while living in New York if he missed anything about England, replied "Bath Oliver biscuits and John Le Mesurier". He was a superb British comic actor, often seen in only minor roles in films such as Ben Hur and The Italian Job, but a staple of British sitcoms including the classic Dad's Army. Dad's Army was about a Home Guard unit during World War II (the Home Guard was like a hastily improvised wartime equivalent of the National Guard in America, consisting of only those who were not able to serve overseas i.e the old and unfit). John Le Mes played the charming, rather upper class second in command who was always too polite to give orders in the traditional military way. So for example, Captain Mainwaring (a socially aspiring bank manager) would tell him to order the men to fall in, and John Le Mes would say "I say chaps, would you mind awfully falling in?". Or he would say "Tell the men to form two lines" and he would repeat the order as "Now I want you all to form two lovely little lines." Look up some Dad's Army on YouTube, especially John Le Mes.