Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maren

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 3:04pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Any other favourite spanish book?

Don Quixote de la Mancha?!
As I am a fan of detective stories I always liked to read Manuel Vazquez Montalban's "Pepe Carvalho"-serial (and was really sad when I read about Montalban's death in 2003).

JSKanga84

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 11:05pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Hey, fantastic!!! Is it a translation or can you read in spanish??
Any other favourite spanish book?

It's in Spanish. While I can, and often do, read archaic Spanish, I prefer stuff from the modern age, my favorite Spanish book is actually from the nineteenth century; Dona Perfecta, by Benito Perez Galdos. I also like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but who doesn't?

Right now, I'm reading my way through Making History in between Celestina chapters.

whatonearth

Posted Wed Mar 5th, 2008 9:54pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Bertrand Russell - Human Knowledge: Its Scope and Limits (it was in the library, why not?)
Wittgenstein - Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (kind of a partner to Human Knowledge I suppose)

That sounds incredibly pretentious but I've hardly touched a book in the last couple of days.

Oh and Ian McEwan's Atonement which I'm dipping into for a page or so before I go to bed, that one's a bit of a part-timer.

yeah I really know how to focus

unperson

Posted Mon Mar 17th, 2008 10:38am Post subject: What are you reading now?
I have just started to read the English translation (I know any German speakers may despair at this, but in my defence I went to terrible schools as a child, and German was never on the agenda) of Steppenwolf, by Hermann Hesse. I love a book that makes it necessary for me to go back and read the page again to try to understand it fully. Brilliant, really.

MusicalMaven

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 2:31pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I just started The Last Girls, by American author Lee Smith. Smith is a remarkable author in that great tradition of Southern Writers, and I highly recommend her work. Start with Oral History or The Devil's Dream - both books capture the simplicity, superstitions, and grace of the Appalachian hill peoples.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 6:07pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Half way through "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb, I really like his style. It's different in it's approach.... It's a narrative in memory form, different from the books Ive read before.

Finished "Magician", "Silverthorn" and "Darkness at Sathanon" by Raymond E. Feist - very good triliogy.

I have a list of books to read after the Apprentice;

"Royal Assasin" - Hobb
"Assassin's Quest" - Hobb
"Prince of the Blood" - Feist
"Confessions of a Fallen Angel" - Ronan O'Brein
"The Rose Labyrinth" - Titania Hardie
"Septimus Heap - Magyk" - Angie Sage
"Magic Study" - Maria V. Snyder
"My Bookie Wook" - Russel Brand

then about 5 others which I cant remember the titles or the authors.... I really should stop buying books until I can read them.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Mar 29th, 2008 10:29am Post subject: What are you reading now?
The Gun Seller

Panja

Posted Sat Mar 29th, 2008 11:11am Post subject: What are you reading now?
The Gun Seller

Me too!

I really should stop buying books until I can read them.
I know the feeling, I have so many books I want to read and just not enough time to read them all!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Mar 29th, 2008 11:40am Post subject: What are you reading now?
The Hippopotamus

Assuming direct control...

CollectorManiac

Posted Sat Mar 29th, 2008 3:26pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
hmm I have quite a list of books on the go lol
Tragically I Was An Only Twin-Peter Cook
I'm rereading Moab aswell
Untold Stories-Alan Benett
The Scarlett Letter and The Colour Purple for college
and the Buffy Watcher's Guide Volume 2
=]

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Mar 31st, 2008 9:14am Post subject: What are you reading now?
ZOMG you're reading Tragically I Was An Only Twin?! Bloody brilliant fantastic squishy book! *expwodeswithjoy*

I'm reading quite a few books at the moment too. I was just being silly in my last post. I'm reading The Hippopotamus, Sharpe's Tiger, popping in and out of The Book of Animal Ignorance and have been in a manga phase. I've finally finished the Love Hina series. Yay! Happy ending.

Assuming direct control...

MusicalMaven

Posted Mon Mar 31st, 2008 1:40pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
The Gun Seller is brilliant. I think it's too bad that Laurie has only written the one book. Maybe if House ever gets cancelled, he'll get on with another one.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Mar 31st, 2008 4:21pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
There seem to be hints of another book, along similar lines, but who knows when that is coming out..?

CollectorManiac

Posted Mon Mar 31st, 2008 7:44pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
ZOMG you're reading Tragically I Was An Only Twin?! Bloody brilliant fantastic squishy book! *expwodeswithjoy*

I'm reading quite a few books at the moment too. I was just being silly in my last post. I'm reading The Hippopotamus, Sharpe's Tiger, popping in and out of The Book of Animal Ignorance and have been in a manga phase. I've finally finished the Love Hina series. Yay! Happy ending.

haha yes yes I am! cos Peter Cook is bloody amazing I've got one of his biographies lieing on my floor waiting to be started too lol

Piera

Posted Tue Apr 1st, 2008 4:31am Post subject: What are you reading now?
The Gun Seller is brilliant. I think it's too bad that Laurie has only written the one book. Maybe if House ever gets cancelled, he'll get on with another one.
Amazon has his new book listed for pre-ordering. The funny thing is though, I read a news article not long ago where his publicist states he hasn't even begun writing it yet. It's called 'The Paper Soldier' if you wanted to look it up. The release date on Amazon changes from time to time.