Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Lorna

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 10:12pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
[quote="John Steed"]I imagine him as Lord Emsworth.

Oh yes! I remember him now. Years ago when living on the high plains we were able to catch Dad's Army on TV broadcast out of Lubbock. Also now I remember him as Fr. Mowbray on Brideshead! Yes, you are certainly right, he would make a perfect Lord Emsworth! My mental ninth Earl has flickered and wobbled in my head so far as my inner vision has attempted to draw him out of thin air, but no more! I now have a Lord Emsworth as perfect for the part as Johnny Depp is for Captain Jack. ~ Thanks, Steed!

jewel

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 8:04am Post subject: What are you reading now?
I'm reading now (and enjoying very much) "The Gun Seller" by mr. Hugh Laurie

"The game, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"

Britannicus

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 8:12am Post subject: What are you reading now?
I'm vowing to read all the classical books that I never read and never wanted to read and was always told I'd have to read for the English class I never wanted to attend and yet we never read them. I feel safe enough to at least peek at them now.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

joan

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 8:35am Post subject: What are you reading now?
I'm thinking of re-reading my Charles Dickens collection. Oliver Twist was the first 'grown up' book I ever read - the children's librarian pointed me in the Dickens direction when I'd read up all the kids books at age 8 or 9 . Well, it helped make me into a life-long leftie, long before I encountered Marx.

Lorna

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 2:07pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I'm thinking of re-reading my Charles Dickens collection. Oliver Twist was the first 'grown up' book I ever read - the children's librarian pointed me in the Dickens direction when I'd read up all the kids books at age 8 or 9 . Well, it helped make me into a life-long leftie, long before I encountered Marx.

My first grown up book was Death Comes to the Archbishop pointed out to me by my eighth grade history teacher. Willa Cather wrote about the great wide west in the USA and the legacy left by Spain the Southwest. Then I got onto Jesse Stuart who wrote about the descendents of Scot-Irish settlers in Kentucky. I have only read Great Expectations. Someone told me to begin with David Copperfield~ what do you think? And another teacher said she greatly envied anyone who had Tale of Two Cities ahead of them to read for the first time, it was that great: is it?
By 15 my favorite book was Les Miserables in translation. Then I got onto Giovanni Guareschi in translation, and was hooked on humor. I devoured Ludwig Bemelmans and Damon Runyon and all else in my path. It was years yet til I stumbled onto Wodehouse. Meanwhile I read all the children's classics I'd missed as a child. From thence to Agatha Christie, et al.
As an actual child, the Hardy Boys were life's breath to me!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 4:00pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
So it appears I'm not the only one who mentally 'casts' a book while reading it. In my case it's because I'm useless at mentally picturing people according to written descriptions, but also because it helps me to imagine a voice as well. Sometimes I even add a mental soundtrack, so that I read Raymond Chandler novels with Bogart as Marlowe (what a pity he didn't make more Marlowe films) and a big band Glenn Miller soundtrack. Or I read James Bond novels imagining Sean Connery in the lead, with a bebop or Dave Brubeck score as they are now period novels and the movie Bond theme bursting in on the action scenes.
Another great side effect of this is that you can mentally cast living actors alongside dead ones, so I've had David Hyde-Pierce and James Stewart in a couple of the Marlowe books.
Anyone else have some mental casting experiences they thought were really good? When I read "American Psycho" the film was already out so I cast Christian Bale in the lead, but as his colleagues I cast various Buffy actors. Also I liked reading Anne Rice's books and casting James Marsters as Lestat instead of bloody Tom Cruise.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 5:02pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I don't really cast books, because I don't watch enough television or films to have a good knowledge of actors and actresses, but i almost always get a voice in my head, and once it sets in, that's it. This can sometimes be very amusing, since after I watch Red Dwarf, everything I read invariably gets 'voiced' by Lister. That's the best time to pick up something like Brothers Karamazov.

Lorna

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 5:04pm Post subject: What are you reading now?

Another great side effect of this is that you can mentally cast living actors alongside dead ones, so I've had David Hyde-Pierce and James Stewart in a couple of the Marlowe books.

OK, is James Stewart cast as Jim Patton, the mountain lawman in Lady in the Lake? I find that some of my Chandler books are missing. No good trying to find who has them, I'll just order some more. All I have here are Farewell My Lovely, The High Window, Lady in the Lake, and The Big Sleep. Also the volume called Killer in the Rain which stories Chandler 'cannibalised' for his novels, but which I like for themselves as well.
But I know David Hyde-Pierce is dead-on for one of the characters ~ I think I can picture a silk scarf round his neck or something ~ but I can neither nail which one, nor look it up.
I like your method of dealing with Fleming ~ bop does fit, doesn't it. Yes, this is one of my favorite games. I have just never thought of sharing it with anyone else. Like yourself I thought I was the only one who did it.
But I am as interested in other people's casting as I am my own. I don't know all the names you mention, however, if people can hit on any mutually enjoyed books or movies, that is plenty fine.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 5:20pm Post subject: What are you reading now?

OK, is James Stewart cast as Jim Patton, the mountain lawman in Lady in the Lake?
But I know David Hyde-Pierce is dead-on for one of the characters ~ I think I can picture a silk scarf round his neck or something ~ but I can neither nail which one, nor look it up.

Bloody hell! That was one hell of a spot on guess about James Stewart! As for Hyde-Pierce, I think I put him in The High Window as a rather effete client. I'm not sure as it was a while ago - was that the one about the Brasher doubloon?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 5:42pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I do that casting thing too though without realising. Like I was reading The Time Machine again recently and it took me a while to realise one of the character's had Jimmy Carr's voice! I don't make the decisions, it just happens subconsciously. For some reason I always imagine both Aaron Lightner from The Mayfair Witch chronicles and Uncle Aloysius from Courtney Crumrin to have the voice of Ricardo Montalban (yep that's Khan from Star Trek 2).

I'm reading Doctor Who and Torchwood books now. I got a few for my birthday and I'm totally in the mood for them, especially as the long wait for the next series of Torchwood is killing me. The one I'm reading at the moment is a Doctor Who one called 'The Stealers of Dreams' (it's a ninth Doctor with Rose and Jack one). Basically they end up on a planet colonised by humans in the future. A world where fiction is outlawed. Novels, comics and stories are burnt. Toys and games are banned and hidden away from the public. A world where all there is on tv is endless reality shows, talk shows, news, historical recreations (done in the most boring annally detailed way so as not to stimulate viewers) and documentaries. People are obsessed with knowing every mundane detail about everyone else's lives so the news is dull as dishwater. I.e. a man's car stalled in his garage making him ten minutes late for work, a woman made it to work in half the time it normally takes because all the traffic lights were green and spent the time she saved watching tv - she was dubbed the luckiest woman in Sector One-Beta that evening. Yeah nothing has names, only numbers. Everything is grey, black and white. Everyone dresses the exact same. In this world it's a crime to lie as well so in one news piece a woman dobbed in her husband to the police because he kept telling her her dress didn't make her bum look big when it in fact did. So far The Doctor's been investigating the Home for the Cognitively Disconnected, Captain Jack has stumbled onto a pirate tv station calld Static that is trying to bring fiction back into the world and is surrounded by the police and Rose is on the run with a member of an underground comic swapping club.

Assuming direct control...

Lorna

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 9:43pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I don't make the decisions, it just happens subconsciously.
That happens to me sometimes. Other times I have to spend half a day casting a book before I can continue reading it. Like Steed, it is difficult for me to picture a character based on a word description.

The one I'm reading at the moment is a Doctor Who one called 'The Stealers of Dreams' (it's a ninth Doctor with Rose and Jack one).
This sounds like a great book. I'm glad you really went into description, because I've never read any of these. I've only read two science fictions: Eternity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better Than Life. I love them!

Lorna

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 9:52pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Bloody hell! That was one hell of a spot on guess about James Stewart! Thanks. I had never thought of Stewart in that role, but he's perfect.
As for Hyde-Pierce, I think I put him in The High Window as a rather effete client. I'm not sure as it was a while ago - was that the one about the Brasher doubloon?
Yes, it's got the Brasher doubloon, but that's about all I remember about it.
I often forget the plots and characters of books which is nice because I can read them again ~ I have one of those good old spotless minds you hear about so much that have all that eternal sunshine and all ~ lucky me!
I'll read The High Window again directly and watch for Hyde-Pierce.
It's funny, Bogart doesn't fit the phsical description of either Marlowe or Spade, but I love him in both rolls, and it's always him whether I'm reading Chandler or Hammet. (I like Chandler best ~ in fact, he's my favorite non-humor writer, although his books are full of humor).
So I guess I do that on lots of characters ~ you know, not go so much by the physical description the author gives as the personality of the the character.
I don't know all the guys y'all are mentioning by name, but is it that way with them, Steed and Nitrate?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 10:16pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
I don't make the decisions, it just happens subconsciously.
That happens to me sometimes. Other times I have to spend half a day casting a book before I can continue reading it. Like Steed, it is difficult for me to picture a character based on a word description.

Yeah I tend to tweek the characters' images a bit. Like David in the Vampire Chronicles. I'll always imagine him to be Paul McGann with short hair and glasses no matter the description (he was old then switched to a younger tanned body) - but that's because I saw that awful awful Queen of the Damned film first. It was a hideous mess, a terrible rehash of The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned which were both brilliant books that didn't deserve to be so horribly butchered like that.

The one I'm reading at the moment is a Doctor Who one called 'The Stealers of Dreams' (it's a ninth Doctor with Rose and Jack one).
This sounds like a great book. I'm glad you really went into description, because I've never read any of these.

You're welcome. I'll describe the Torchwood ones too if they're just as juicy (they're next). Another interesting little thing I found in the book was when Jack found a boardgame in a warehouse. It was the game of life - see who can get a job, live a normal uneventful life and not go fantasy crazy first. Not suitable for ages 11+!!! It's because in this world it's believed that when you reach 11 it's too dangerous for you to be exposed to imagination and fiction and you'll go insane but they don't want children to get caught up in it either and get bad habits which is why they ended up banning toys in the end. I love sci-fi books like this. I'm really into ones that depict dystopian futures or places that are seeming utopias but turn out to be nightmares so books like 1984, Brave New World and The Time Machine are perfect for me.

I've only read two science fictions: Eternity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better Than Life. I love them!

Those are both utterly utterly brilliant. I adore those books and the following ones too Backwards and Last Human. I am Red Dwarf bonkers. Seriously check out the audiobook versions, Chris Barrie reads the first two and he's brilliant. He does all the voices really well especially Lister's and Kryten's.

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jul 3rd, 2007 8:55am Post subject: What are you reading now?
I tend to cast books in advance of character descriptions and sometimes I tweak my decisions later.
When I read the Lestat books I saw John Hurt as David. Apart from Tom Cruise I had little problem with the other actors from the film of Interview.
At the moment in the Roman history book I'm reading I have only vague mental pictures because it's not dialogue heavy, although I have always thought of Anthony Quayle as Pompey because I thought he looked like a bust I saw of Pompey. Laurence Olivier is Crassus because of Spartacus, but I find it very difficult to think of Caesar as anything other than a less cartoony version of his Asterix look.

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jul 3rd, 2007 9:42pm Post subject: What are you reading now?
Reading a book called "The Wishing-Ring Man". Clicked on it randomly while on an eBook website. Not bad.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"