Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

quantumofire

Posted Thu Nov 26th, 2009 9:32pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I've just finished reading Naming the Dead by Ian Rankin.

One of the best Rebus books I've read to date. He captures the atmosphere of the whole G8 meeting in Scotland brilliantly along with a look brilliant dissection of the corruption and compromise of the powerful.

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

speckledband

Posted Fri Nov 27th, 2009 11:40am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Half way through "Leave It To Psmith" by PG Wodehouse, it's terribly good! "Money For Nothing" is next.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Nov 28th, 2009 1:12am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Almost finished with Dawn French's memoirs "Dear Fatty"

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

zomgmouse

Posted Sat Nov 28th, 2009 5:37am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Recently finished Gravity's Rainbow.
More recently finished Alan Davies' book My Favourite People & Me.

Now reading Philip K. Dick's The Man Who Japed, with a fair few more Dick books lined up after that.

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

marzgirl

Posted Sat Nov 28th, 2009 7:31pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Dark Clouds Gather by Katy Sara Culling. I have Moab is my Washpot I am also reading and Open by Andre Agassi is waiting in the wings. So many books, so little time.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

joan

Posted Sat Nov 28th, 2009 10:32pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

The Greatest Show on earth by Richard Dawkins.
Verdict - interesting informative educational - occasionally hard going. its purpose was to give its readers good scientific arguments to use against creationists and other such daft people. It succeeded, though to do so it sometimes stated the obvious.

The Second Rumpole Omnibus by John Mortimer.
Loved the series, loved the author. Reading this again was like visiting old friends, though the writer and the actor are now, alas, dead.

quantumofire

Posted Sun Dec 20th, 2009 6:12pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Bloody Murder - From the Detective Story to the Crime Novel: A History by Julian Symons.

A real gem. Its a great overview of the history of the form. I got it in a charity shop for 20p. It was written in the 70s so it's probably of print.

And re-reading The Penguin Book of Modern British Comic Writings.

Everything from Max Beerbohm to Alan Bennett, it's a real treasury.

Arthur Marshall's Christmas Reviews of Books for Girls, and Clive James' A Blizzard of Tiny Kisses (a review of Princess Diaries by Judith Krantz) had me in stitches.

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

zomgmouse

Posted Mon Dec 21st, 2009 3:48am Post subject: What book have you just read?

After The Man Who Japed there was Time Out of Joint (also Dick) then Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut and am now reading The Broken Bubble (again Dick, but this is a non-sci fi).

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

lonesome aesthetic

Posted Tue Dec 22nd, 2009 2:42pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Coraline & Other Stories - Neil Gaiman, just about to start on The Graveyard Book.

speckledband

Posted Tue Dec 22nd, 2009 6:55pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

More or less finished Wodehouse and have just started Frankie Boyles autobiography.

lessthanfirst

Posted Mon Dec 28th, 2009 9:56am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Brass by Helen Walsh. I recommend it for anyone who likes the transgressive fiction stuff. It's not particularly shocking, not that I think much literature can be after a certain amount of reading, but it does try to be, sometimes a little too much. A few minor criticisms but generally very, very good.

Currently on Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk and Moab is my Washpot.

Nitro

Posted Tue Dec 29th, 2009 5:17am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Re-read the conquest of Siberia...fascinating country & history!

Really? Wow.

lonesome aesthetic

Posted Wed Dec 30th, 2009 5:30pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
Last Chance to See - the loverly Mark

and just started the latest in The Pirates! series.

quantumofire

Posted Fri Jan 1st, 2010 7:47pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Found a old book of Keats - Selected Poems at a charity shop.

A lovely volume. Full of explanatory notes. It's also full of penciled notes that someone made in the margins. I love that. It reminds me of the feeling that the book has once belonged to someone and treasured.

And that also reminds me of the author, Helene Hanff, in the film, 84 Charing Cross Road. How she said, something like being connected to other peoples' lives and their thoughts. That great books are living things.

lonesome aesthetic

Posted Sat Jan 2nd, 2010 5:21pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Finished the Pirates! and started on And Another Thing - Eoin Colfer. So far 'tis wonderful, I have a feeling like the Salmon of Doubt it'll make me cry at the end simply because I wish Douglas Adams could have written it himself! *sniffle*