Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AC

Posted Thu Jul 7th, 2011 9:00pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I recently read The Alienist by Caleb Carr. It's a historical thriller about the search for a serial killer in late 19th century NYC.

Currently I'm reading Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, as well as Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Jul 8th, 2011 3:03am Post subject: What book have you just read?

I've just started Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - Jared Diamond. More world history, this time from a Biologist.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PC Caliban

Posted Fri Jul 8th, 2011 10:39am Post subject: What book have you just read?

"How to avoid signing up to bleedin 'boring crap forums" by PC Caliban. Blime, I'm out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joke, Joke, Joke

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Jul 8th, 2011 4:24pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

AnCBeck said:
Currently I'm reading Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, as well as Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Good Omens is a funny book, and Crowley is a great character, I think you'll like it

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Rajiv

Posted Mon Jul 11th, 2011 2:28pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I've just read Machiavelli's Il Principe

Don't interrupt me while I'm interrupting.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jul 12th, 2011 1:39pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Tobias, I think that book was made into a doc for TV...Discovery channel maybe?...should be on YouTube...they interview Jared.

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Sat Jul 30th, 2011 10:37pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Just finishing 'Goodbye to All That' by Robert Graves. One of the most evocative description of life in the trenches in WW1. Reminds me of the first time I read 'Dispatches' by Michael Herr. Both capture the horror of war.

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

Mac

Posted Tue Aug 2nd, 2011 10:44pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I am a hair's breadth away from finishing Halting State by Charles Stross which is not only plain old good fun but discusses some interesting issues. At it's heart is the robbery of the central bank in an online game much like World of Warcraft. The book gets into exactly how virtual items can have real world value, but without giving anything away, that's simply the starting point. It gets MUCH bigger from there.

I am the king of collapsible furniture.

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Aug 5th, 2011 5:29am Post subject: What book have you just read?

I am only a few pages from finishing Gene Wilder's "My French Whore". The prose is extremely simple but that seems to be his style that he was hoping to achieve. A short story and very interesting. I can't wait to read his other works of fiction.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 8th, 2011 12:17am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Q, I'm glad to hear you liked that. I've not met a lot of folks who've read it, but anyone who has liked it

So many books suggestions, so little time

Really? Wow.

F0xf1re1

Posted Mon Aug 8th, 2011 7:29pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

TobiasMonk said:
Good Omens is a funny book, and Crowley is a great character, I think you'll like it

This one of my favourite books - A bit different to the norm.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Aug 9th, 2011 1:29am Post subject: What book have you just read?

F0xf1re1 said:
This one of my favourite books - A bit different to the norm.

Me too, it's one I take off the shelf and re-read probably once a year. I wish they'd do more.

Walt Whitman

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Aug 9th, 2011 1:34am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Finished Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond. It was ok, but it never hooked me. Yawn worthy.

I've just begun Light in August, by William Faulkner.

Walt Whitman

F0xf1re1

Posted Tue Aug 9th, 2011 9:15am Post subject: What book have you just read?

TobiasMonk said:
Me too, it's one I take off the shelf and re-read probably once a year. I wish they'd do more.

I also have re-read it many times. It never loses its magnetism.
They certainly made a great team. Is Pratchett still writing? I know he has altzheimers. Last one I read was Going Postal. Brilliant story telling!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Aug 12th, 2011 1:20pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I'm currently reading 'The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A handbook for visitors to the fourteenth century'. It's been an interesting read so far. Explaining the landscape of the 14th century, the hierarchies of people, their character and attitude. It also talks about things like healtha and hygeine, food and places to stay. I'm still reading about the character such as how people's humour of the time was quite violent and involved a lot of practical jokes. I like it whe it makes comparisons with earlier periods such as the 1200s.

I've also just finished re-reading volume 1 of 'The Walking Dead' series. Decided to have another flick through after watcing the tv series which deviates a bit from the comics such as expanding on some bits and introducing new characters (like the racist bloke and his bother....unless they appear in a later volume!). I really need to get hold of the next volume. Want to get the next volume of Buffy series 8 as well.

Assuming direct control...