Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

schildpad

Posted Wed Aug 17th, 2011 11:11am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Theahatthe said:
The Man Who Ate The 747, which so far hasn't been especially impressive, but which may pick up.

I read that a little while back, I did like it but not as much as Fannie Flagg's stuff. How did you find it?

Just finished Sherman Alexie's The Lone ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. A few of the stories are spectacular, but I think his later stories are better. Alison Weir's Mary Boleyn, 'the Great and Infamous Whore' - reeeeaaaaalllly well written and researched. It was every bit as good as Julia Fox's Jane Boleyn (sigh, I love historical novels but is this the future of professional and popular historical research? Writing books to correct misconceptions perpetuated in novels and films ?) Bill Bryson's At Home. Loved it! Alexander the Corrector by Julia Keay- about one of the strangest figures in history and his even stranger life history. If you like the quirky, this one is definitely for you.

I'm about to embark on Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day. I've never read one of his books before but I saw it in a second hand shop and it was just a couple bucks so I thought I'd give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I think you had better put the Indians on wheels so that you can run them about as you wish. Anon - Chief (1876)

schildpad

Posted Wed Aug 31st, 2011 11:34am Post subject: What book have you just read?

I have temporarily abandoned Pynchon in order to plow through Richard Fortey's Trilobite, Eyewitness to Evolution. It was fantastic, well written, funny and with lots of information about the beetles of the Palaeozoic. I also finished Pullman's The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, which was nicely ambiguous and started with a really interesting idea: could some of the discrepancies in the Bible be accounted for if Jesus had had a twin brother? Good stuff. Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants was beautiful. A really really excellent "boy runs away to the circus" story.

I think you had better put the Indians on wheels so that you can run them about as you wish. Anon - Chief (1876)

marzgirl

Posted Wed Aug 31st, 2011 8:05pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Almost finished with Churchill's History of English Speaking Peoples Vol.I I started in the middle for some reason and read Vol.III first.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Thu Sep 1st, 2011 1:49am Post subject: What book have you just read?

That's great marz. Doesn't that book contain one of the longest sentences ever written? I may be thinking of a different history book though...

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 1st, 2011 3:48pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Would not surprise me if it did. I love, love history so I am basically killing two birds with one stone. Because I have to pay such close attention it also helps me go to sleep. Please do not misunderstand, not out of boredom, just the brain usage to try and absorb.
There are so many words that I don't know the meaning and have never heard spoken so now I keep an Oxford dictionary by my bed. I tried first with a Websters and the words where not in there so I don't feel quite so dumb. I highlight the word in the dictionary and I have started a card catalog. Yeah, ok. I am a dork.

Do you read history Nitro? I have four more Vol. but if you have any recommendations I would be most grateful. I might need a break anyway between Vol.I and II.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 1st, 2011 3:55pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Out of curiosity I googled the longest sentence ever writting and this is what popped up....

http://www.theblogmocracy.com/2010/04/15/the-longest-sentence-ever-written/

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

AC

Posted Sat Sep 17th, 2011 1:59am Post subject: What book have you just read?

History nerd that I am, I recently finished reading Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, which was one of the best books I've ever read in my entire life. Now I'm reading The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Ambrosia

Posted Sat Sep 24th, 2011 7:44pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

"The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex" by Mark Kermode.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Sep 24th, 2011 9:34pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens, a very good read if you want to learn a thing or 2, or 50.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

marzgirl

Posted Wed Sep 28th, 2011 12:47am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Thanks AnCBeck! History nerd myself but I doubt I remember most of what I read.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Stefi

Posted Wed Sep 28th, 2011 7:23pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

All 7 Harry Potters again... but this time in english! (*proud )

We are talking of the idea of beauty, and the beauty of ideas.

@Giggi_1

ScotsPine

Posted Fri Sep 30th, 2011 10:22am Post subject: What book have you just read?

"The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner. If the words had been jumbled round in a different order, it might have been easier to understand!

schildpad

Posted Sat Oct 1st, 2011 6:46pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I always figured Faulkner was like an impressionist painter, but with words. You just got to let them wash over you and you'll get the immediacy of what he wrote. Beautiful book.

AC

Posted Mon Oct 24th, 2011 2:50pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I recently read The Angel of Darkness, the sequel to The Alienist, which I read over the summer. Great thriller. I also read Vaclav & Lena, but wasn't too impressed with it. A bit too cutesy and uneven for me.

Right now, I'm reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (never read it before, believe it or not!), as well as Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

adams

Posted Thu Dec 15th, 2011 4:42pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

The A-Z of thinking by Nigel Warburton

This book, which has had numerous reprints, is an sbsolute gem.
I really can't recommend it highly enough.
It is similar to 'An Ode Less Travelled' in that it takes an extremely dry subject, and makes it entertaining.

It has inspired me to study the subject, (when I get the time)

enjoy