Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

shannaflowers

Posted Mon Dec 26th, 2011 12:00pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I've finished the original Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and I'm heavily considering trying to tackle Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame (I lost my copy some time ago and just came across it again).

Finningham

Posted Wed Jan 11th, 2012 7:19pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

On last 14 pages of The Fry Chronicles. Then will start Judi dench's bio - "And Furthermore".
Also reading Titan a bio on John D Rockerfeller for the umteenth time as it is so boring but good for my research and "The creature from Jekyll island" a brilliant insight into global banking and the corruption.
Next book purchase will be who ever I find interesting at the time!

Wiwiel

Posted Thu Jan 12th, 2012 12:08pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Yesterday morning I began to read The Hippopotamus. I wanted to read 1 or 2 chapters, but... I finished read 8 hours later when the book ended. I must say that it is the best book that I've read lately.

I'm a Russian spy, ok? :)
@Wiwi_el

TomHRXi

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 7:49am Post subject: What book have you just read?

black hawk down by mark bowdone
its really good

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Jan 29th, 2012 6:33pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close- Jonathan Safran Foer

Meh book, and you see right away how someone would want to turn it into a film.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Jan 30th, 2012 5:16pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Just picked up Smut by Alan Bennett. So far so funny.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Frazzy

Posted Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 2:43am Post subject: What book have you just read?

I'm in the middle of "Blindness" - José Saramago. Can barely put it down.

AC

Posted Sat Feb 4th, 2012 12:35am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Just finished Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Dense but interesting. I'm also now reading Julian by Gore Vidal, which is quite good.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Popeye

Posted Mon Apr 9th, 2012 3:20pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

Just finished reading 'Rescuing The Spectacled Besr - A Peruvian Diary' by a certain Mr. Stephen Fry and have to say it did leave my slightly intrigued, but for the wrong reason. I can't stop thinking about the diary entry, about his recurring diarrhoea, where he says and I quote:
"Oh God. It's back. The exploding stomach.....
Shall I tell you about the lack of control and the bed linen? I shall spare you that....." etc.
I mean it just makes me think of images from that scene in 'Trainspotting' - Does it remind anyone else of that? (Sorry Stephen, I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near that bad.)

Everyday should be Fryday!
Soupy Twist!

Stefi

Posted Mon Apr 9th, 2012 7:42pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

The Novice (The second book of the Magican's guild triology). Trudi Canavan writes so beautifully subtle, and so LOGICAL. The Characters don't have those magical deduction powers that either make a misunderstanding impossible or vital for the plot. I just love that. And I love fantasy books.

We are talking of the idea of beauty, and the beauty of ideas.

@Giggi_1

Frazzy

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2012 12:54am Post subject: What book have you just read?

Just finished "1Q84" - Haruki Murakami, not quite as holy-shit-awesome-must-read-this-again-RIGHTNOW as some of his other stuff, but still very good.

Now staring at a pile of books trying to decide what to read next, so many, I suspect they are breeding.

Desideria

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2012 4:56pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I have just finished "The Ode less travelled", and now I'm reading several books at the same time. The first is "Phantom" by John Nesbo which was given to me as a Christmas present. I understand that there have been 8 previous books of the series about a rather unfortunately named guy called Harry Hole. I have not yet made up my mind about the book.

Second one is Mr. Fry's history of music which I'm very much enjoying. I was able to track down a piece of classical music which I had never been able to find the name of. Thanks to this book and a tiny remark in a short sentence I knew immediately that this was exactly what I was looking for. Made me insanely happy.

No. 3 is "Moab .." which I have read many, many years ago in a translated version. I'm now treating myself with the original as an audio book read by Stephen Fry himself (obviously). Pure bliss.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

Nitro

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 12:35pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

"Eleanor of Aquitane" - Alison Weir

Some of this book was OK, but as a historical writer I don't think she did a very good job. I expected to read about Eleanor in detail and instead read too much about the various other 'players' in her life. Just barely drawn into Eleanors head at all; only superficially. Not only that, the author repeatedly throughout the book makes judgement calls on Eleanor that, imho, an really great historical never does because it's necessary. The reader should decide what they think of someone based on the biography. Overall, a pretty disappointing book.

Really? Wow.

nejsen

Posted Wed May 9th, 2012 8:11pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

I am nearing the end of a wonderful book. It's by an norwedian author called Tom Egeland, the book itself is called Lucifers Evangelium or "The gospel of Lucifer". It's about an archeologist who makes a remarkabel discovery, in the hands of a dead munk, from the 13-hundreds, he finds the gospel of Lucifer. He is then thrown out on a wild race, because a mad group of ideologists called drÂculsÂngers, is killing everyone he knows, and now they're after him.
A wonderful book for anyone who likes a thrill

TheKeyAuthor

Posted Tue May 15th, 2012 12:42pm Post subject: What book have you just read?

My own of course, "The Key?", which was influenced by Lady Meyer's book "They Are My Children Too". "Madeleine" and Sir Meyer's book "DC Confidential" both had a role to play.

Stop the child trade. Support the petition.