Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 11:01pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
All I can say is - bugger! :'(

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 11:09pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
X-D Depends which way...If i feel manic I tend to panic a bit which makes it worse.
If i am getting into a low i tend to read.
Either way i can't stop it.

Maniac

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 11:12pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Up is fine!!
It's the bloody downhill slope I hate (as we all do)
Life is very stressful at the moment - my job is very stressful and so far I'm coping very very well but feel like poo tonight!!

Sorry, just need to post.
I know there's nothing really you can do to stop it, just can't seem to stop myself moping about it when it starts which makes it worse.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 11:22pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
You have nothing to apologise for. I wish i could supply a magic pill for those who find it hard to handle.

Maniac

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 11:28pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Thanks J.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 11:32pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Anytime

English_Rose_Joylan

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 12:03am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
hey, i just wanna say that i feel for you deeply and i can empathise.
i find that indulging my feelings and practising drama therapy whenever i feel that life is getting too much or whenever i feel myself sliding REALY REALY helps me. i usually think of a sad situation other that the one I'm in and acting it out, it usually ends up with me making myself cry, i know that that sounds weird but I'm crying for showbiz purposes;i can stop at any time,and I'm also flexing my acting skills, my empathising skills and making myself step out of my problem and by the time that i have finished i feel sooo much better. or i write, poetry or short stories, (if I'm not too low as the inability to create depresses me ) just an idea for you and you can find drama therapists online too just in-case you wish to do it ultra correctly or it works so well you wish to find out more.

Maniac

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 12:07am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
That's interesting.
Thank you.
I'm about to crawl into bed and hopefully sleep.
I'm so tired, I think I will.
x

panda

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 9:30am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
have you heard of the MDF self-management course? i'd really recommend it. when i went on it we worked out what things we needed to do when feeling ourselves either go up or down.
they tended to be doing the opposite of what we felt like.
so if you felt manic and felt like going out partying, and doing loads of work, you should do the opposite, not working TOO much, not staying out late, not going to parties, staying in with minimum stimulation (dark quiet room)
if depressed - what do you feel like doing? if you feel like moping and not doing anything and not seeing anything, then the opposite might be what you need. set yourself small little tasks to do - do the washing, make a meal, see some friends. all in moderation so you don't end up getting manic. have a change of scenery, go somewhere completely different, watch a comedy film.
i'd really recommend counselling too. this might help get underneath your depression and help dissolve it, or work out what its all about.
hope you feel better soon.
panda

Maniac

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 10:22am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Thanks

meekychuppet

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:09pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
When I feel my self slipping I grab hold of something so that I don't fall over.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:43pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
When I feel my mood dropping and I know I have no control over it, I tend to revert back to all the things I do to make myself happy but that I dont do on a normal basis... things like gathering a pile of dvds and watching them one after another, working on my scrap book, reading all day in bed, shopping, going to the cinema at odd times in the day and night (that way I have the whole place to myself! Ive watched about 20 or 30 movies in an empty cinema by myself its fantastic), I make jewelery, paint, make something arty, cut the dog's hair.... I have loads. and I always naturally revert back to doing them as soon as my mood drops.

In reference to the scrapbook - let me explain it abit. I have a hardback A4 sketchbook that I use as a way of expression. I draw in it, write in it, stick things in, gather things to go in it. I have a whole page covered in melted candle wax bacause I love how it forms soft smooth shapes. Its a work in progress....

Aoibheann

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 8:34pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Ive been thinking about this... short answer is i try and remove myself from any sisuation that will throw me further into darkness... like... i cant watch any sad films or ones that make difficult viewing... same with situations in life.. But at the same times i let myself feel it, if i try to hold it off it gets worse in time..

So id say i try to remove myself... but its easy saying it isnt? and im afraid all logic goes out the window... along with sence...!

But then... in trying to remove myself.. is it me removing myself from general life..or is it the particular episode doing it.. leading me out..?
Just have to let it happen, thats all you can do really when it comes to the dark.

I have a saying in my room.. stuck where i cant not notice it.. 'This to shall pass'... I think it helps. A little mantra helps an awful lot.. blocks out the negative things.

Think im going to go look at it again.. Its getting dark in here all of a sudden.

Maniac

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 9:50pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Thanks guys.
I've thrown myself into my work and have somehow been rather productive today.
I've been working literally all weekend and all day today and that's probably got something to do with my mood.
I feel better than when I posted the OP so here's hoping it was just a small blip.

It's a pain - when you are erm.. like us - even normal human reactions make you think you are sinking back into the abyss.

Cheers. x

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 10:29pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
....is it me removing myself from general life..or is it the particular episode doing it

... for many people, Aiobheann, it would be a mixture of the two, and connected to reducing the danger, by placing distance between. Does that sound right?

C