Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 10:39pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
I asked a psychologist and a community mental health nurse, and each thought that mood shift was noticeable in most people, and that behaviourally responding to that insight was a choice that people could choose to make. That that was what psychological (as opposed to medical i.e. medication) intervention by the NHS would normally be focussed on this area of someone's Bipolar Disorder.

This seems to be similar to what has been said above - particularly the 'acting opposite'; seems is a realistic response for some who live with Bipolar Disorder or Depression.

Maniac writes s/he feels that things seem better. A bit of luv and care and joining in always feels good to me.

Chris

Aoibheann

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 1:24am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
....is it me removing myself from general life..or is it the particular episode doing it

... for many people, Aiobheann, it would be a mixture of the two, and connected to reducing the danger, by placing distance between. Does that sound right?

C

Sounds about right all right..

Just hard to tell the difference at times... and i find when i analize it, i make myself worse.. over thinking stupid things, getting annoyed at yourself.. you know? Its all a big circle when it all happens.. and its difficult to get out of.. but when you do i think its a learning experience and should be looked at as one... i find out my limits.. what i should and shouldnt do.. so next time i can see particular things coming or whatever.
But again... i find all sense goes out the door when in a black mood...

Maniac

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 9:05pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Hi
Have read the last two posts a few times and can't really make any sense of them at the mo.
I didn't sleep last night and have worked all day and am now wsat here with absolultey no idea how I am going to get to the end of the week and get everything done that I need to.
It's not even the case that It can be done next week - it can't!
I am soooooo tired.
Don't feel too bad mood wise- at least not depressed.
Kind of a little apathetic really.
I hate that.

ah, shite.

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 10:48pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Hi
Have read the last two posts a few times and can't really make any sense of them at the mo.

If I may attempt an interpretation on this one Maniac.

In my own experience there are two reasons a depressive episode may 'make' me withdraw from society :

1) I get the effects of biological depression such as de-realisation or de-personalisation
( i.e. the room does not feel real, and /or I do not feel real ).

2) The behavioral choices
( I feel afraid, so I choose not to challenge/face the above fears )

What Aoibheann points out is that when she or I feel that detached from reality, it can be hard to make 'rational' choices due to a lack of any worldly perspective, especially if we are alone.

I think that ChrisB is reminding us that those choices still exist (albeit at a diminished level ) if only we could re-connect to them.

Aoibheann agrees, but admits ( like me ) - that each severe episode is an ongoing lesson in trying to reach back into 'reality' from an altered state - and behavioral modifications are easier said than done when faced with severe feelings of disconnection.

I am advised by my own Consultant and doctor, that choosing to fight the 'altered state' or apathy with some occupational therapy is damn hard, but usually good at helping one re-connect with 'reality'.

It is however, an ongoing education in trying to find out how and where the grey areas between disconnection and connection join.

I trust that Aoibheann and ChrisB will clarify better.

Regards,

F.F.

Maniac

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 11:32pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Thank you.
I didn't meant o sound as though I'd not understood the posts.
More like I'm so damn tired 0 in a strnage sort of way, that reading them is just seeing the words rather than taking a meaning.
Work is tough at the mo.
I need sleeeeep!
No time though!

I will re-read all this tomorrow when I'm hopefully feeling more alive.
Cheers.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 11:56pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
I think what I'm getting at is that noticing signs of mood shift approaching is different from actually acting on those indicators. That is where the choice lies; and the behavioural response is aimed at responding to moodshift to tune into behaving in anticipation of the change of mood cycle.

This applies to the response by the NHS mental health services to working with Bipolar Disorder moreso than particularly with Depression.

Sorry if I've confused things, Maniac. Something I find helpful to remember is that anxiety - being worried - is essentially thinking about the future in terms of negative outcomes eg. will I be in time to meet my friend from the bus station.... or.... and then a stream of anxiety about all the things that might happen from that ... what is actually the most likely outcome to happen?

Chris

Aoibheann

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 12:42am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Hi

If I may attempt an interpretation on this one Maniac.

In my own experience there are two reasons a depressive episode may 'make' me withdraw from society :

1) I get the effects of biological depression such as de-realisation or de-personalisation
( i.e. the room does not feel real, and /or I do not feel real ).

2) The behavioral choices
( I feel afraid, so I choose not to challenge/face the above fears )

What Aoibheann points out is that when he or I feel that detached from reality, it can be hard to make 'rational' choices due to a lack of any worldly perspective, especially if we are alone.

I think that ChrisB is reminding us that those choices still exist (albeit at a diminished level ) if only we could re-connect to them.

Aoibheann agrees, but admits ( like me ) - that each severe episode is an ongoing lesson in trying to reach back into 'reality' from an altered state - and behavioral modifications are easier said than done when faced with severe feelings of disconnection.

I am advised by my own Consultant and doctor, that choosing to fight the 'altered state' or apathy with some occupational therapy is damn hard, but usually very good at helping one re-connect with 'reality'.

It is however, an ongoing education in trying to find out how and where the grey areas between disconnection and connection join.

I trust that Aoibheann and ChrisB will clarify better.

Regards,

F.F.

Hi F.F,

Your spot on there...

But im a girl.. you said.. 'he'.. silly billy..

I agree F.F with everything your saying....
im not the clearest of people when it comes to things Maniac... sorry.. :-//

I just find that when im in black mood or approching one.. i withdraw a lot, from life in general.. i cry all over the place.. and do destructive things. but i never know if im just retracting myself from my life.. or is it the episode making me do that?

And then when i think about it.. you know.. the usual questions.. 'why am i thinking like this... what is wrong with me....' it leads onto negative thoughts that i try to stay away from because i find they engulf everything, make me even more withdrawn.

And i guess i find that a big cycle.. a big wheel that is difficult to get out of.

Which then plunges me right into the heart of the black mood.. and then im stuck for a long while. So for me its about going throught that episode safely. without getting to far in i wont come out for weeks. you know? Its all about knowing how you feel and i know that is difficult at the best of times. but i think its important, knowing your limits.. that is why i try to stay away from things that will upset me further..

so really in a way.. its good to withdraw... im confusing myself... haha.. sorry... its not the clearest thing to me yet.. so i dont know if im making sence..

I think it is vital that you unwind.. or find a way of doing it.. reading.. going for a walk.. glass of wine, anything at the end of the day to help relax... you know?

Hope i have been even a little helpful.. Im still learning about things.. you know?

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 12:12pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Hello Aoibheann,

Sorry for my error in denying your glorious womanhood ... :-//

I agree and can relate to the things you are saying about the entrapment of deep depression. I ( and my G.P/Consultant ) particularly are in accord with the ideas of:

"Keeping safe"

"Knowing your limits"

"Staying away from things that could make things worse"

( therefore ) "Sometimes withdrawing seems like a good thing"

I am recommended therefore to avoid any social 'aggro', - but instead pick up the guitar, or the weightlifting gear. I just have to keep doing my own shopping and take short walks to keep my hand in as it were.

I, ( like you ) tend to have a "long time in " the depressive phase - and different rules seem to apply once inside it - as opposed to being able flexing one's cognitive muscles on the way back up.

Threads like this are the very reason I came here, to discover common experiences and to hear about the ways that other people address that which we all find difficult.

Nice one Aoibheann, ( you lovely creature )

Regards,

F.F.

Aoibheann

Posted Fri May 11th, 2007 12:39am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Ohh.. forgot to mention.... Sleep is always a good thing... specially when your deppressed... helps not thinking for a few hours..

MerryMary

Posted Sun May 13th, 2007 10:16pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
I hide. I withdraw until it passes. I haul my ass enough to see kids off to school, have a quick tidy. And I desparatey avoid The Outside World until it passes. I'll replay episodes of House and Boston Legal. When it gets really awful, I play Jackson Browne over and over and just wallow. If I am scheduled to rehearse or perform ( and travel), I am usually distracted enough until I get back to the hotel, and then....blessed aloneness.

Best hint: spray some lemon funiture polish around before your SO comes home from work. Then you can put you mask back on and no one will be the wiser. I remember in school and university, we referenced this sort of thing as the ability to maintain when stonned out of our gills.

Then I count the hours until everyone is asleep and I can be alone once more.

shatzi

Posted Sat May 19th, 2007 4:43am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
I get the sleeping pills and books ready. I know I will be spending days with no energy and no desire to leave the house, so I try to read. Plus I take some sleeping pills and hope to just sleep it off. Unfortunately I cannot sleep for days on end.
I may look at my calendar, and try to plan enjoyable things for the coming months, to have something to look forward to.
I might self-medicate, as in take an extra Wellbutrin. I should ask my doc if I need a stronger does.
Other times I stare at a wall or the TV without seeing what's on it. Stare for hours...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 30th, 2007 2:56pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
First thing I tend to do is cut myself off from others. Whether I like it or not. I've learnt that it's during these low periods, that I am best left alone anyway, so I don't mind it so much. I usually let my partner know, although he can spot it a mile away.

It's during the moments of solitude, that I tend to focus more on single things. Where as when on a high, I tend to flit around getting less done, but somehow with greater effort.

I'm not saying I've learnt to control my emotions, (far from it), but I have learnt
(through self analysis I guess) what works for me during certain moods and what doesn't.

So when I'm low…….;
I read one of the many books that I haven't read yet, but always kid myself into believing that I'm going to finish one day. I can't concentrate enough on one thing (certainly reading) when high, but can when neutral or low;
I walk a lot and think. Walking time is time alone with me, and no one else (I’ve had some great conversations );
I sit at the piano and play around with chord sequences. They seem to come from nowhere when I'm feeling low;

Thinking about it, I tend do less practical, and more personal orientated things when feeling low. I certainly don't do the housework, tidy the garden, or maintain the car that's for sure.

Anyway take care,

xox

Pete

Aoibheann

Posted Wed May 30th, 2007 10:10pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Oh dear oh dear.. one fears one is going downhill again.... and no amount of nice music is bringing me back up...... shit. wheres the dark hole i can crawl into?

Maniac

Posted Wed May 30th, 2007 11:18pm Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
No!
Bollocks.
It was me and now I'm on the way up, looks like I'm going to pass you on the way down.
Erm...

Spice girls be of any use?

No, I thought not.
erm... hang in there honey. xx

Aoibheann

Posted Thu May 31st, 2007 1:41am Post subject: What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?
Thanks A.

Its just one of those thingys... where you want to give up.. you know?

Think its passing. Have to remind myself it will. And i have to try not think about it. it makes it worse when i do.

Going to think about now. trying to think about now. spose its all about balance isnt it?

Will keep my head above water till it goes.