Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nongenderous

Posted Wed Oct 14th, 2009 5:14pm Post subject: What do you like about Twitter the most?

I like that it can be used as a tool to promote democracy and freedom of speech (see: what happened yesterday regarding The Guardian gag) and the Iran election.
I've met a lot of lovely, interesting and fascinating people thanks to Twitter. Since I first joined almost a year ago a lot has changed in how I use Twitter. In the beginning it was to follow Stephen Fry and interact with fluffettes.
Nowadays I use it as a way to get news and tweet with Norwegian Twitters, but I'm still interacting with fluffettes, but less than when I first joined.
Twitter isn't mainstream in Norway, and there are less people on Twitter in Norway, than Stephen Fry's number of followers (source: http://www.halogen.no/academy/undersokelser/bruk-av-sosiale-medier/). Twitter was very useful during the last election, and I love following discussions of Twitter.

Nitro

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 4:32am Post subject: What do you like about Twitter the most?

Are you still getting tweets about Iran even after the polls?

Last I heard, several of the demonstrators have either been executed or are up for it. The sources I've seen have not mentioned at any point wether the authorities there were able to identify these poor souls because of the cell phone/camera twitvids - or any other vid broadcasting.

They are paying the price of their views with their lives. More proof that human beings, as a whole, are still capable - despite our supposed 'technological advancement' - of incredible acts of insanity while parading around as 'sane' and 'governing'.

I have messed with Twitter again lately. At first I used the ability to 'follow' [insert x subject] as about the only decent reason I could come up with for spending any time with it. But I can do that without Twitter. My own tweets are embarassing, bland, and...well, those adjectives are enough. My own business bores me to tears. So, I'll probably dump it again.

On again
off again
lather, rinse, repeat

Really? Wow.

nongenderous

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 7:51am Post subject: What do you like about Twitter the most?

No, I'm not. But I'm interested in what is happening in Iran. It's a tragedy what is happening to those who tried to oppose the regime I mentioned Iran, because they tried. I didn't say it worked. The world is cruel and it takes much more than social networks to change the world and illegitimate regimes.

Nitro

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 6:26pm Post subject: What do you like about Twitter the most?

nongenderous, I didn't reply because I thought you were saying it *had* worked I was just curious if you were still following Iran's internal affairs via Twitter. I wonder that of a lot of Twitter users actually lol

"It's not the doubt that kills you, but the hope." ( I think that's how that goes. I'm never sure if I've got it quite right...).

I think it's fair to say that a helluva lot of attention was paid to the revolts because of Twitter. And I think many, many people were really hoping that little monster cum president, would step down or otherwise be removed. Probably those who understand Iran's government structure knew better, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being capable of hoping for a thing.

Twitter, and tools like it, have this capacity to give people the illusory belief they are empowered when really they're closer to just being informed. Who, outside of Iran, didn't feel somewhat helpless as we saw, at least on the surface, Hope sort of crumble apart when the revolts and all the news seemed so promising?

Sorry for my ramble. Your sentence,"The world is cruel and it takes much more than social networks to change the world and illegitimate regimes." is far better written than anything I could.

Really? Wow.