Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

trevorgarlick

Posted Fri Oct 8th, 2010 8:51am Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

So, serious question - we're at the bottom of the independent film industry - believing we can create great movies with new talent. However - the first question I get asked is 'who's in it?' I get that, and yes we love the people we love when it comes to entertainment. Tho this is about enabling new and talented people to break in - that includes my direct team too. What else makes you watch a movie besides the list of known stars?

Trevor Garlick www.trinityxproductions.com
Facebook Trinity X Productions
Twitter trinityxprod

Nitro

Posted Fri Oct 8th, 2010 4:40pm Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

An excellent story line, characters that are believable, great videography and editing, and a talented director to pull all of this together. A talented director is one who is able to achieve a suspension of disbelief. If I can predict the film within the first fifteen minutes and am able to see the use of various techniques, the whole thing's a huge FAIL for me.

Great videography, imho, does NOT mean resorting to 'camera tricks' like swishy cam ( will that technique EVER go away?!! lazy, lazy...) or fast blurs or blue lighting, simply because the story sucks so bad it has to be covered with cheap tricks.

A movie should draw a person in quickly, get them giving a damn about what's happening and intrigued enough to wait for what's happening next...I know that's a variable thing in terms of Time, but I think it seperates the masters from the amateurs on many levels.

Who is 'starring' in it is less important to me than how the story is being told, and if the story's even worth understanding.

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Oct 9th, 2010 5:15am Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

As someone who used to and at times still dabbles in independent film I'm not the best person to ask. I adore films with good story that gets to the point, innovative camera experiences (like the special effects in Scott Pilgrim), stories that are unusual or feel fresh.

Unfortunately my family are the typical movie goers. For them it's no sub-titles, must have big stars or directors, preferably comedy and not too long.

If my family picks a movie, I generally hate it. If I pick one, it's about 50-50 that they'll enjoy it.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

boilerman

Posted Sat Oct 9th, 2010 6:24pm Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

Fistly not watching it at a multiplex cinema,
Secondly the first few minutes should grab me,regardless what type of film
Third good sound quality,no really dark bits and no 3D

cathode ray tube and not LCD to watch it on

But i,m not fussy really

Ambrosia

Posted Sun Oct 10th, 2010 6:26pm Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

Intriguing story, credible characters, good script, excellent actors/actresses (not necessarily well-known ones). On the whole, I prefer smaller, low-budget films to tedious popcorn movies with lots of explosions and people in them who can't act for toffee. I'm fairly open-minded about genre, but I do prefer a degree of believability. Even sci-fi can be believable when it's done well.

Aziraphale

Posted Sat Nov 20th, 2010 12:22pm Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

A story that inspires your own imagination, that keeps you guessing
what-would-have-happend-if and that captures you even weeks after watching.
And those moments that come completly unexpected - like the ending of "The Prisoner".

michael

Posted Mon Nov 29th, 2010 1:14am Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

i usually first ask "what's it about?"

but really, even that is just a "oh that's nice tell me more" question. i could also ask "when's it come out?" or "who's in it?" or "does it have a tiger???"

i'm a very visual person and the movies i like are usually made by very visual directors... it doesn't have to be flashy, but i really like particular kinds of visual storytelling... whether it's hitchcock's rope... that looks like it was all filmed in one take, or speedracer... which looks like someone made you take ecstasy and jump in the washing machine with a pile of lit black cat firecrackers.

i tend to remember what a movie looks like, or how it feels to watch it, more than the plot or who's in it.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

marzgirl

Posted Thu Dec 16th, 2010 3:55am Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

Does it have a tiger. Crouching dragon, hidden tiger.
For those that don't know me, yes I am aware I reversed the title.

Acting is KEY!!!!! I must be convinced that the actor IS who he/she is protraying. Michael C Hall is a fine example. From gay funeral director to serial killer. Edward Norton from American History X to Keeping the faith. John Lithgow from Harry and the Henderson's also to serial killer. If you have young talent with that kind of range that is convincing I think that is at least half of it.

I also agree with the other previous comments.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Aug 15th, 2011 8:49pm Post subject: What does it take for you to watch a movie?

I can't relate to that whole asking "Who's in it?" before being able to see a film. It's nice if someone I like is in it but it's not essential. If it's by a director I like I might check it out but initially it's the story, the ideas, the concept and sometimes the visuals which draw me in. It's the same with television shows.

Assuming direct control...