Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

the bantam menace

Posted Fri Dec 12th, 2008 12:56pm Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
I don't listen to the charts anymore, cos of the likes of X Factor winners saturating them. But lets at least have a Christmassy Christmas Number One for a change!
The Christmas number one is supposed to be cheesy, twee and in some cases downright stoopid. But what X Factor have done by CONSTANTLY churning out cynical money grabbing cover versions is not what its about.
So lets have Wogan and Jones or Chegwin And The Wombats. Just anything so long as its not some pop poppette that'll be yesterdays news the days after!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7778481.stm

Maxx England

Posted Fri Dec 12th, 2008 4:13pm Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
I am given to understand that dear old Staus Quo have a Christmas single out. I personally recommend that you buy or download it, not out of affection for Quo, but to get right up the nose of careerist recording industry media manipulators.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

CollectorManiac

Posted Sun Dec 21st, 2008 5:30pm Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
I'm avoiding the Christmas number 1 Chart show, but if I hear that that IMEBECILE HAS RUINED HALLELUJAH AND TAINTED BOTH JEFF BUCKLEY AND LEAONARD COHEN IN ONE SMOOTH MOVEMENT, AND BEEN REWARDED FOR IT, I will personally dismember all those who made it so.

Jarus

Posted Sun Dec 21st, 2008 11:26pm Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
Bugger I just got rickrolled on youtube looking for that sorry excuse for a number 1 X-D

I do detest X Factor though all those people who want to be famous for no particular reason it boggles the mind.

Edit: Also I've never heard the Leonard Cohen version before it really is much better than the others.

Nitro

Posted Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 2:07am Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
For those interested:

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTiXoMCppw&feature=related

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ&feature=related

Really? Wow.

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 10:25am Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
We should all get together and take Christmas 09 by storm! lol.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Dec 23rd, 2008 1:42pm Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
Can't beat the old favourites:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1n3XGViOM

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

TheElephant

Posted Tue Dec 23rd, 2008 8:06pm Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!

Well, if we're going to do that, I'll volunteer for some singing duties.

Also, would like to nominate the song 'Still Alive' from the credits of Portal.
(there are two separate youtube vids with 2.5m hits a piece, and a few others on top of that.

As far as the X-factor thing goes though, I think people are over reacting. The charts (particularly at Christmas) were pants long before the X-factor came along. And the manufactured pop bands have always dominated the charts anyway, but in their current manifestation, we get to watch a few elements of the process, and laugh at a few no-hopers along the way.

(Is a shame about Hallelujah, but I guess I'll just avoid the current released madness and listen to the Buckley version once in a while, as was always the case.)

Occy

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 8:34am Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
Leonard Cohen is angry, gritty, poetic. Jeff Buckley is heartbroken, wistful, desperate. This chick is boring, vocally gymnastic (Cowell you bastard - you loathe vocal gymnasts yet you give us THIS?), irritating.

WhyGenTom

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 8:58am Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
Well, if we're going to do that, I'll volunteer for some singing duties.

Also, would like to nominate the song 'Still Alive' from the credits of Portal.
(there are two separate youtube vids with 2.5m hits a piece, and a few others on top of that.

... !!! In the style of GLaDoS? or Jonathan Coulton?

I would have thought Hendrix's Manic Depression or Nirvana's Lithium might be more appropriate for the forum lol.

Jeeves_and_Wooster_fan

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 2:56am Post subject: What happened to proper Xmas number 1's - FLAMING X FACTOR!!
Ugh, 'The X Factor' seems to be taking over all the channels on TV nowadays. I saw Leonard Cohen live in the summer, and he performed 'Hallelujah'.
Now, even though he's quite old now, it was just AMAZING.
That sad act from 'The X Factor'?! Pfft. No, thank you.