Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Sultan of Portugal

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 10:28am Post subject: What I hate most...

People talking about the Middle East without ever having read Robert Fisk. Its like hearing some one preach that the moon is made of cheese in Latin. That and people thinking that Iranians are Arabs.

Oh, and hello fellow Fry admirers.

MichelleAbrahmz

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 2:18pm Post subject: What I hate most...

I think you can have an opinion on the Middle East without having read any particular author. What bugs me is when people have convictions on a subject without having any information to begin with. (Not attacking you, meant in general). Its like everyone has an opinion on Israel/Palestine, but how many of them have actually read up any political commentary on the subject?

andrealein

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 4:59pm Post subject: What I hate most...

And people just blurting out something stupid without remotely knowing what's going on.

During the elections in Iran there was a demonstration by some people showing their support. And I heard a woman shouting "Oh, go home fucking Italians - we have our own problems." I mean, what? The Iranian flag does look a bit like the Italian one, but that doesn't really make it better. And even if they had been Italians.

I am not a Russian spy, cross my heart and hope to die.

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 6:34pm Post subject: What I hate most...

I agree with you. I wish people would more often allow themselves the luxury of NOT having a firm opinion on EVERYTHING. When asked about my opinion on a certain topic it has become a luxury for me to admit that some things are far too complex to form an opinion without an intimate knowledge and thorough information, be it the Middle East or the American Health debate. It's amazing how some people make themselves judges of basically everything going on the world without knowing their arse from their elbow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 7:13pm Post subject: What I hate most...

Soupy Twist said:
I agree with you. I wish people would more often allow themselves the luxury of NOT having a firm opinion on EVERYTHING. When asked about my opinion on a certain topic it has become a luxury for me to admit that some things are far too complex to form an opinion without an intimate knowledge and thorough information, be it the Middle East or the American Health debate. It's amazing how some people make themselves judges of basically everything going on the world without knowing their arse from their elbow.

Quoted for truth and because "I wish people would more often allow themselves the luxury of NOT having a firm opinion on EVERYTHING" seems, to me at least, a very wise philosophy.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

andrealein

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 7:24pm Post subject: What I hate most...

Soupy Twist said:
When asked about my opinion on a certain topic it has become a luxury for me to admit that some things are far too complex to form an opinion without an intimate knowledge and thorough information, be it the Middle East or the American Health debate.

That reply can have an interesting effect when talking to someone who knows that you're much more into the topic than he is, but has been going on about it for a while. Reaches them much better than starting to argue and sometimes actually makes them think. Of course very often they're just too sure of themselves and don't even notice.

I am not a Russian spy, cross my heart and hope to die.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 8:36pm Post subject: What I hate most...

I think that some people believe that they just have to stay firm on their conviction for whatever reason. Kind of a 'stand for something or fall for anything' kind of thinking I guess. I think it is possible to disagree with someone's idea or belief but still be able to understand why they see it the way they do, why that works for them.....I don't understand why it always has to turn into an Us vs. Them kind of a thing most of the time. Perhaps that is my Candyland on Gumdrop Lane thinking and wishing. LOL! I am not a political scientist or anything but I do know the difference between the Italian flag and the Iranian flag thankfully! I am sure I have had my moments to rant on thinking I knew what the hell I was talking about and absolutly did not, but I sure hope not to that degree....oh my goodness!!!!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

exoskeleton

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 4:41am Post subject: What I hate most...

I definitely don't have an opinion on everything.
and I have to admit I am extraordinarily, shamefully uninformed about the Middle East. off the top of my head: I don't know who is Arab (or what consequence that has), who speaks Farsi and who speaks Arabic, and I think they're both written with mostly the same alphabet like Spanish and German, but I'm not sure. I think I didn't even know about Farsi until I was forced to read The Kite Runner for school. what's worse is this is only one of the many things I know nearly nothing about, but know that I should as a person living a life of leisure and privilege.

but in general, I avoid opinions, because I am not very interested in arguing, because I am not willing to become emotional about most issues, and I don't need everyone to agree with me to be happy. I know it's important for some people to argue intelligently about the critical issues of modern life, but I'm not equipped with knowledge or personality to be be among them.

sockdolager.

tallyg

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 9:23am Post subject: What I hate most...

Makes me think of what my lecturer said to me, and his lecturer said to him... "What you don't know, fills libraries."

Nitro

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 1:44pm Post subject: What I hate most...

One reason governments get away with some of the crap they do is because don't take the streets protesting as much as they used to.

And people might be more 'informed' now than ever, but they're not very empowered.

I don't think every person in a protest group has known all the details of something they believed was worth fighting for, nor did they necessarily need to. They knew the bigger issue and it might've been something like just knowing a few things. Like how their rights weren't there or were being stripped away, or that their kids were starving because there weren't any jobs and a government had bumbled badly in finances etc etc...

You don't need to be a head of state or one of the poli-literati to have an opinion on the Iraq War for instance. And you should probably take it for granted there will be people who disagree with something you say or do in Life, including having an opinion.

People are afraid of being wrong about their opinions, but opinions change. And they change from just having discussions sometimes or reading more or knowing someone who does know a thing.

It's weird because, for instance, a law was just passed in our state that is an offense to any citizen here. I mean a blatant 'selling out' of principle on the part of our legislature and the excuse was it would 'make money'. Well, they just lost the moral high ground with everyone, including the kid who rationalizes selling crack because he or she is poor. Now how can these 'leaders' tell that kid that they are 'wrong' for doing so? This is something that should've driven the populus into the streets of the state capitol calling for the firing of those who voted 'yea' on the bill. But, instead, they just go on the internet and complain on a blog or something.

So, thousands of people excercise their right to voice their opinion but, unlike the 60's for instance, don't put themselves out there where it counts. That's what I mean by 'informed, but powerless'. People have become convinced of this in democratic societies and it's just really weird in some futuristic way LOL

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Sat Sep 26th, 2009 10:29pm Post subject: What I hate most...

The reason people rant and rave and do nothing is that they feel so powerless because they have bought into the consumer culture so much...got themselves up to their eyeballs in debt, and are too busy slogging away, trying to pay it all off, while looking at the next thing to run up their credit cards on.

Also students end up racking up huge debts and are left to spend their time worrying about getting enough money in to get themselves through the next three years and also buying into to all the consumer crap...while downing copious amounts of alcohol. Due I exaggerate?

Arrrrrrggggghhhh! Instant gratification for a mobile generation...that's less mobile than it's ever been does that make sense....waffle...waffle...waffle...waffle...

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

Maxx England

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 4:33pm Post subject: What I hate most...

Yes, but what are we going to do about these Italians?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

quantumofire

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 6:43pm Post subject: What I hate most...

Ply them with absinthe and force them to listen to Joe Dolce's 'Shaddap You Face' in a constant loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

joan

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 4:30am Post subject: What I hate most...

Anyone who doesn't like arguing about anything important should live here - in Australia. The locals will only usually have opinions about sport - the one subject that bores me to death.

At work my boss was a German Jew, and being European/English myself we both had strong opinions about most issues, particularly politics. We used to argue all the time, and the other staff were utterly horrified, They could not understand how I could disagree with the boss half the time, and not get the sack. The just could not understand the non-personal argument. They could not see the fun in rigorous debate. Sad, really.

davemalley

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 9:26am Post subject: What I hate most...

i used to have a boss like that, about a zillion years ago when i was young and knew everything, we would have rigerous debates all the time, he would call me a lazy scruffy article and i would call him a capitalist opressor.
he he

people who use P.S are just showing they havent put enough thought into their writing before they started.

P.S cant get out of the habit myself