Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

EJW1

Posted Sun Aug 30th, 2009 9:04pm Post subject: What is the name for a word which sounds like something looks?

There are words where the sound invokes an image, for example, glisten, shimmer, iridescent, sparkle - a visual onomatopoeia I suppose. We can't find a term for these words. Can people suggest a new word?

exoskeleton

Posted Sun Aug 30th, 2009 9:34pm Post subject: What is the name for a word which sounds like something looks?

interesting idea, but I don't see a connection between those words and what they represent.
it could be visual, like if the letters of glisten actually resembled light reflecting off something.
or it could be aural, like if saying "glisten" made sounds that were similar to the visual of light reflecting off something.
I don't see any of those similarities though.

sockdolager.

michael

Posted Sun Aug 30th, 2009 9:43pm Post subject: What is the name for a word which sounds like something looks?

yes i'm a little confused too. i think i see what you mean but i can't tell if "sparkle" brings up an image of sparkles because of some sort of sensory thing, or just 'cause that's what it means.

if i got to make my own word for it, it'd probly be "teeky teeky kickens" or something like that.

but i have strange senses. i am curious if you mean that the sounds bring a visual image, or the look of the word brings a visual image.

when i was little, my numbers got in fights while i was trying to do my math, and even yesterday i was staring at a US map and thought all the states were in a giant sexual congress.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

EJW1

Posted Mon Aug 31st, 2009 3:54pm Post subject: What is the name for a word which sounds like something looks?

EJW1 said:
There are words where the sound invokes an image, for example, glisten, shimmer, iridescent, sparkle - a visual onomatopoeia I suppose. We can't find a term for these words. Can people suggest a new word?

Perhaps it is just me then, to me the sounds of those words conjure up a visual image. To me the "sss" sound in glisten creates an image of something which is moving slightly and shiny at the same time.

Hope

Member *

Posted Mon Aug 31st, 2009 8:37pm Post subject: What is the name for a word which sounds like something looks?

There's a bit at the bottom of this BBC article about how things look and the words people associate with them - a spikey shape and a squidgy looking shape being called kiki and bouba respectively. Not sure if that's useful at all but it's a pretty interesting article nonetheless.

Also, michael, your signature is ace! ...My name is an anagram of "A Cobalt-Breech Poet", "Taco - A blotch beeper" and especially "Cabaret Botch: Elope!".