Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 6:12pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
It's been fairly rare for me, but there are movies I've walked out of before. Sometimes I ask for my money back, other times not. The last movies I recall walking out of were Sin City, The Blair With Project, and The War of the Roses ( all three were insulting for various reasons and I've never had to to pay to be insulted ). There may be others but I can't recall them at this time.

How about you? If you have, why did you leave? Also, do you ever take your complaints to the theater manager, if they are theater specific, instead of a result of the movie itself?

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 7:49pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
A friend and I walked out of a Jack Nicholson movie years ago. I believe it was the sequel to Chinatown or something like that. The movie was going along (ploddingly) and all of a sudden old Jack had his hand down some girl's underwear. The scene came out of nowhere. And we heard more than one "eww" from the audience. We walked out. It was total crap.

Nitro

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 7:06pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
I went to a theater once and before anything was on screen I noticed the thing was covered in JuJuBees(?). Sticky candy bits, iow.

Looking around, I figured someone else would say something about it before I did. Nope. But no way in hell was I going to sit there watching a movie with sticky candy bits floating in it the whole time. I just couldn't help but wonder how many people had, which made me wonder how many people even actually watch movies when they're there X-D

I mentioned it to the manager before anything started and he came in with a long stick and knocked them off.

Really? Wow.

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 7:32pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
I've never walked out of the cinema, although I did have to exit halfway through Brokeback Mountain for a fire alarm. We got back in but it did ruin the flow somewhat.

I did give up watching some film my housemates got one day from the video shop. I can't remember the name of it but it had a group of blokes who went on a fishing trip, found a body and didn't bother to report it until they got home and their wives were upset. Housemates seemed to think it was very profound but I just thought nothing was happening and it was too busy trying to be clever! It's amazing how someones rave review of something can actually put you off enjoying it.

I sat through the whole of the Blair Witch Project as it was a Christmas present from my Brother in Law and I was being polite. When we got to the end my BiL said "I bought you a shite gift there". D'oh!

That would be me.

Rain Dog

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 7:41pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
I did give up watching some film my housemates got one day from the video shop. I can't remember the name of it but it had a group of blokes who went on a fishing trip, found a body and didn't bother to report it until they got home and their wives were upset. Housemates seemed to think it was very profound but I just thought nothing was happening and it was too busy trying to be clever! It's amazing how someones rave review of something can actually put you off enjoying it.

That movie sounds so familiar, I'm sure I've seen it! Can't remember what it was, just got this strange feeling of deja-vu...

I've never walked out of the cinema either. Somehow I've never happened to go and see a really bad movie, not in the cinema anyway.

Rain Dog

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 7:56pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
Duh! That movie was Short Cuts.. :-// Well, at least the movie I was thinking about. I really like it, even though it's quite long and has an awful lot of characters. But it like the Godfather films or Until the End of The World, it never seems too long, not for me anyway. So many great actors, and Tom Waits in particular was wonderful. I also love the Raymond Carver stories that the movie was based on. I must find it and watch it again.

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 8:25pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
Wow, I've just looked at all the great actors in it! Yep, that is the one. In my defense the guys I was watching it with were *very* annoying. You know - telling me to watch the next bit closely and interrupting and so on.

That would be me.

Rain Dog

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 8:55pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
Wow, I've just looked at all the great actors in it! Yep, that is the one. In my defense the guys I was watching it with were *very* annoying. You know - telling me to watch the next bit closely and interrupting and so on.

I agree - you have to concentrate on the movie to enjoy it, it's annoying when people keep interrupting and spoiling it. I hope that you enjoy it if you decide to watch it again

PamJH

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 10:13pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
I remembered that Jack Nicholson piece of garbage (actually, I had to look it up). It was called "The Two Jakes." I shudder to think of it.

joan

Posted Tue Mar 17th, 2009 8:47am Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
Moulin Rouge - the one with Nicole Kidman. We hired the DVD and just gave up on it part way through. It was flashy but boring, and made little sense.

An old Australian Digger who had been a young soldier during the Liberation of France had been to the wartime Moulin Rouge, and was given a posh seat at the film premier. He said it was OK (didn't want to insult the folks who were being so nice to him), but it was like 'too much Christmas pudding'.

PamJH

Posted Tue Mar 17th, 2009 1:22pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
Nicole Kidman had what was for me another stinker - Dogville. While I liked the original idea and how it was filmed, it was too bloody long and her character was raped at least four times. I wasted almost three hours in a movie theatre when I could have been wandering around London.

I was visiting London with a friend and we were staying with a friend of hers. This friend went to all kinds of trouble to get these tickets. My American friend was smart - she pleaded illness and left. I, however, the kind sucker that I am, stuck it out. I haven't seen a Nicole Kidman movie since.

Mister

Posted Tue Mar 17th, 2009 7:38pm Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
I've never left a cinema halfway through, since I know some movies can be shite at the beginning, and then really take up. But there is one movie I never watched through, I have forgotten most of it, I only remember it was about some Celtic (I think) kid, he just walked around with this girl for half an hour or something, only stopping at random moments, tossing out these horridly acted "profound" lines, like "My name means strong warrior!". Blah, shudder at the mere thought.

Beautiful thing, the destruction of words.

joan

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 11:10am Post subject: What movies have you walked out of?
When I was a kid we used to go to the Saturday matinees. Mainly cowboy films, war films - stuff like that. We all hated the 'sloppy' bits- where the obligatory beautiful woman tries to have her wicked way with the hero, and we would stamp our feet, and boo, till the horrible bit was over.

We rarely left part way through, but there was always a stampede to the exit to avoid the national anthem which was played after every session.

When I think of those films....we were far too easily pleased.