Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Dabees

Posted Fri Jan 19th, 2007 2:15am Post subject: What to do next please.
I'll try and make this brief, although I've thought for ages what and how i want to say it.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago as suffering from depression, i only went to the Doctors because my wonderful sister dragged me there. I was given some drugs and sent on my way (I can't remember the name of them). Those drugs just sent me to sleep for 14 hours a day, so i decided to stop them after a week. I tried to get on with my life and wait for the referral to the local hospital for psychological help. ( I'm still waiting for my appointment).

It wasn't till watching Stephens programme on Bi Polar that i understood what i was going through, my sister even text-ed me and said "I'm watching you on the TV now" The point I'm trying to put across is, if you are Bi Polar but haven't been formally diagnosed like myself. Do you feel like a fraud like i do, and those around you (not my Sister) tell you just to get on with it.

Where do i go next? I'm out of ideas. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Dabees.

PS, thank you Stephen.

Maniac

Posted Fri Jan 19th, 2007 5:46pm Post subject: What to do next please.
To be honest, yes I do.
I am scared of getting the diagnoses because of the ignorance of others but also sometimes crave it for my own sanity.
I have put the psych off when he spoke about bipolar and lithium and made out I was OK.

Anonymouse Bosch

Posted Sat Jan 20th, 2007 1:32pm Post subject: What to do next please.
Hi Dabees

Your experience sounds very similar to my own. It's often difficult to pin-point where depression comes from - especially from an outsider's point of view - but it's still very real and valid to you. It may be a current set of circumstances or it maybe a pattern that was set in motion many years ago.

My advice (especially if you've already been down the doctor route and are still waiting to see a counsellor) would be to maybe look for your own cousellor or psychotherapist somewhere near you on http://www.bacp.co.uk

Look for someone who's at least BACP accredited.

Many offer a free first consultation and don't be afraid to try a few before continuing - you need to find one that you feel comfortable to work with. Also try Googling the different types of therapy offered so that you know what they involve - some might appeal more than others.

I'd definitely recommend reading "Beyond Prozac: Healing Mental Suffering Without Drugs " by Dr Terry Lynch. The first part is a bit of a rant but it's worth reading. The later sections may point you at causes you haven't considered.

Dorothy Rowe's "Depression - The Way Out Of Your Prison" follows a similar line although it's a bit 'fire and brimstone' in places.

In the meantime there are the usual non-medical ways of reducing the impact of depression:
- sleeping regular hours
- eating well
- exercise
- cutting down on alcohol and caffeine
- getting out in nature

It sounds like you've got a really supportive sister which is a big big bonus.

I'm not an expert but the advice above has certainly helped me understand my experience with depression and has given me the means to do something about it. I hope it can help you too. Good luck.

Best wishes
AB

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 7:14pm Post subject: What to do next please.
I found the most effective path (after 30 + chaotic years of not being correctly diagnosed ) - was to ask my G.P. to refer me to a prescribing consultant ( as opposed to yet more talk based therapies) - and get on the medications I so obviously needed.

By sheer co-incidence I also was diagnosed as Bi-Polar II for the first time about 3 years ago. Before that it was always labelled as isolated "Anxiety Neurosis" or "Unipolar depression". Fortunately I eventually met an astute consultant that focused on/asked questions about "when I thought I was well".

This revealed I was never actually "well", just Hypo-Manic- but enjoying it !

I have therefore ended up taking a largely pro- meds stance.

Self management and learning to handle the illness is also essential, but I find that the decision making and talking to people is much more effective on a basis of good meds.

All the best in finding your own path too.

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 7:36pm Post subject: What to do next please.
I think it's a shame that we are not treated as an individual rather than placed under the big umbrella of deppresion. Ok in affect we all share the same up and down thing but it would be nice to think someone was listening and cared about you rather than what time lunch is