Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Mon Apr 16th, 2007 11:26pm Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
X-D

caz57

Posted Mon Apr 16th, 2007 11:38pm Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Thanks for the help.
I am not looking forward to it, as all I seem to do at the doctors is cry, because I have never told anyone how I feel. (crying now)
I am 42 and have been ill, on and off, since I was about 14, and my life has been crap!
Made loads of mistakes, never had a proper job, lived with an abusive husband, and had kids.
So all these years I have been too busy to sort my head out, as I was always busy with my kids, and always put other people first.
I am hoping to get a diagnosis, but worry I will be told that I am OK and just neurotic, that there is nothing wrong with me.
Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.

JVONEARTH

Posted Mon Apr 16th, 2007 11:44pm Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Caz there is nothing wrong with putting yourself first and there is nothing wrong with crying your only human.
Good luck for when you go...but if your not happy with what you have been told seek further help.
j

caz57

Posted Tue Apr 17th, 2007 2:26am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Thank you for the advice.
I know I should put myself first, but it is hard when you are supposed to be in charge of everything, and your family rely on you.
I just hate talking about myself, even a "normal" illness.
I would have to have an arm hanging off to go to the docs.
Even then, I would say,
"It's just a scratch"
A lot is down to very low self esteem.
And I am afraid to open the floodgates, if you know what I mean.
I'll get there in the end!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 17th, 2007 2:54am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Take care

Chris

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue Apr 17th, 2007 12:08pm Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Hello again Caz,

Please feel free to 'break the mould' and open those floodgates, it always helped me at some point in recovering from a long depressive episode.

Sounds like despite your outer circumstances, you have been a very strong person to keep the family/show rolling through the abuse and protracted bad times. As you are (understandably ) depressed right now - and probably have been for some time, you will tend to accuse yourself of being neurotic and feeling guilty. This is common within depression.

I personally feel that this is where your life will begin to turn towards better times, I always found that a 'crisis point' was a good indicator of a needed change and made me seek the necessary help.

I appreciate that a formerly resiliant, nurturing and self reliant woman like you would find it hard to open up and ( in your own eyes ) be seen as vulnerable and somehow lacking, but you will benefit from taking advantage of all the help you can for a while to unload the weight you have carried so selflessly for so very long.

Good luck Caz, I genuinely feel that better things lay ahead - surrender to the process.

Warm regards,

Derek.

RighthoJeeves

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 7:49pm Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
I have had alot of psychiatrists in my life,
1) Run from those who suggest taking you off your medication- if its working for you
2) Run from those who suggest hypnosis unless you trust your doctor and feel you need it to help you ( not they think you do) Beware of false memory syndrome.
3) Stick with a doctor who listens to you, you feel improvement either when depressed or manic, gives you medicine which helps you and tells you the whole deal that is going on with you, test results etc.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 7:54pm Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
In my case my psychiatrist has become my friend too, although we keep absolutely to boundaries and i only see him in appointments or in hospital. but he is a friend. i'm lucky i know.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 10:24pm Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
purely out of confusion Chris, can you explain how your psychiatrist is your friend?
Id have thought a friendship was a two way equal relationship... but the professional boundries, I thought, would prevent your psychiatrist from talking about himself, or getting to the level a friend would...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 12:08am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Serious answe r to this, S.

As always you are right on the point - i meant this in a special kind of way... well in fact i do know some of his life and interests, so we have a kind of unsaid acknowledgement that we each have larger lives than what's in the room. for example we both are pash about piano music , he Schubert me Debussy, and we aill talk about what we like about it, and concerts we might have each gone too and so on, and i am interested in his wider knowledge about psychiatry, he is on a NICE panel for pharmacology, and he is very willing to teach me about latest research on this stuff, and answer my questions on things that relate to my college stuff and the history of psychiatry and so on. I can hear the rest of the world going BORING!!! - but essentially this is all in well understood mutually defined boundaries.

It is freindship, but of course friendship has different levels in the world in general.

We have a very good relationship and enjoy our meetings. The first couple of years were different cos i was very ill. and unpredictable, but when you have a good relationship with your psych it works much better.

Chris

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 12:20am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
mmm ok, I guess in YOUR viewpoint then yeah you have a friendship of sort....

See I would regard what you are talking about as not a freindship, but more of an aquaintence of sorts. I would actually just see it as a professional relationship which has a mutual understanding. Id class a friendship as a connection with someone on a deeper level, somone you talk openly to but who talks back just as openly about thier lives. I see friends as someone who truly knows you and anyone else - an aquaintence. I have very few real friends, but I have many aquaintences.....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 12:38am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Um well thats a point of view, but I am pretty certain that when I am no longer his patient we will continue to know each other and we talk to each other on this basis.

Because it is a boundaried relationship we keep it that way, but the longterm therapist M who changed about 9 months ago when she switched to the Crisis team cos of the service changes here regularly phones me in the evenings when she is walking her dog on the hills where she lives, and we both very firmly know that we will know each other for the rest of our lives, I am very fond of her,

I am also a subject of conversation between the psychiatrist and her when they meet in the course of their work and i know this because they tell me that. and i am only the client of one of them, so they have no clinical reason to have a conversation about me cos she isn't connected to me therapeutically anymore.

to me this is people who know, like and enjoey each other, and we have a friendship, in the case of the therapist, avery strong friendship with her.

why does it matter what it is called?

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 12:43am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
It dosnt really matter at all... Im not bothered what you call it, I was simply explaining what I classed as friendship so that you would understand why I responded in that manner.... I never said you were wrong or I was right. I quite clearly stated YOUR viewpoint and MY viewpoint in a comparisson.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 1:01am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
well, out of curiosity I look in the Oxford English Dictionary, and what i find for 'friend' perfectly describes the relationship between me and Dr.F:

- A person with whom one enjoys mutual affection and regard, (usually excl. of sexual or family bonds).

This is exactly how it is, and I think I am very lucky for it to be that way,

Chris

RighthoJeeves

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 3:54am Post subject: What to expect from first Psychiatrist visit ?
Not all of the psychiatrists I have had have been a friend in a way. Nice, sound judgement but not a friend exactly. However a couple have. My first psychiatrist Doctor Batten who was in Cheltenham Hospital ( now gone private) He got me well when I first had my first manic crash, he even gave me tapes to listen to help me sleep when I was getting well. My mother who has always been there when I have gotten ill was able to find and contact him when I got ill the last time (2005) Another one was in Hawaii and his name excapes me ( all my psychiatrist have been male, hasnt bothered me at all) anyways that doctor took as much interest in my case as my first and he put me on to Lithium for the first time. I havent gained weight like some do on it, I avoided wanting to go on it cuz I feared that.. in Maryland Doctor Cheeks was there when I transitioned from being single to being married ( my husband is Welsh and I met him on the Internet) he was there to look over how the relationship grew, how I was doing etc) He was there for my last crash ( more than a crash it nearly killed me) Anyhow I never went to lunch with one of my pyschiatrists But if I were to say who my friends are beyond my close friends, these three make the list. My current doctor ( in Iowa, I jump around like a Mexican Jumping Bean it seems) is good but I dont see him often because right now ( and I hope for a good while) I am well.