Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

selenauk

Posted Tue Sep 8th, 2009 4:54pm Post subject: What to wear?

I'm going to the LRF event - what do you think 'formal' means dress code wise? I understand black tie, but 'formal' is too broad - any ideas?
Thx

Maxx England

Posted Tue Sep 8th, 2009 6:28pm Post subject: What to wear?

Well, if you're a man, I should personally steer clear of purple micro skirts, see through blouses and strappy high heels (I just haven't got the legs for it).

What is the LRF event? I suggest looking at pictures of the last one, if there was one, that'll give you some sort of guide.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Wed Sep 9th, 2009 4:36am Post subject: What to wear?

Maxx is right. Look at the pics of the last event.

Essentially, you should dress exactly like every other man so you will be percieved as a sea of waddling penguins.

If you're going to be 'different', do it with your wrist cuffs.

Really? Wow.

selenauk

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 9:36pm Post subject: What to wear?

Maxx England and Nitro - bless you for your responses. The LRF event is the one being held 18th October - it's an audience with sir Stephen of Fry in aid of Lukemia research - he mentioned it on his twitter notices.

I have indeed try to look at photos of past events but no such pictures are available, hence my plight!

Am female and have a desire to shy away from frumpy or mumsy wardrobe, however as I will turn 40 in the next few weeks I need to resist the mutton dressed as lamb look.

Selena

Maxx England

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 9:44pm Post subject: What to wear?

I would love to be able to offer some constructive advice, apart from "no, dear, it doesn't look big in that" , or "I do like the colour, I really do" , but I'm just an ordinary hairy bloke with all the subtlety and judgement that goes with it. But - since you're thinking carefully about it, I'm sure you'll get it right.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 1:28pm Post subject: What to wear?

Hi Selena,

I once got an invitation with 'formal' dress code as you mentioned (black tie for men). Women were expected to wear long dresses or cocktail length dresses in combination with accessoires/jewelry and elegant shoes.
Like you I didn't know exactly before and chose the dress which ended around the knee to avoid to be overdressed. I think, one can't go wrong with this.

I'm sure you will enjoy the evening!

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 1:57pm Post subject: What to wear?

Hello Selena,

I think Lady From Hamburg is right. My daughter had the same kind of thing while in her last year at school. In the end we bought her a champagne coloured knee length cocktail dress which she wore with a short fitted jacket when she first got there. If it hadn't been so formal then she could have kept the jacket on and it would have just looked like a suit.

It might be an idea to shove some glamorous costume jewellery in your bag too. If it is very formal then you could put it on to glam things up!

There will probably be a lot of people like you who are a bit unsure too, so you are unlikely be on your own with the uncertainty regarding dress code.

Have a very good time anyway, T xx

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 2:38pm Post subject: What to wear?

Oh, if Stephen's going to be there, then might I suggest something from this superb sartorial store?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 2:41pm Post subject: What to wear?

LOL - it doesn't cover the knee but otherwise ....

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 2:46pm Post subject: What to wear?

Fryphile said:
Oh, if Stephen's going to be there, then might I suggest something from this superb sartorial store?

ladyfromhamburg said:

inckognito

Inactive

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 10:49pm Post subject: What to wear?

ladyfromhamburg said:

ROFL !!!

Nitro

Posted Sat Sep 12th, 2009 4:25am Post subject: What to wear?

My apologies for assuming you were a man. Drears...

My mother always contended every woman should have "a little black dress" in her wardrobe, because they can be dressed up and dressed down and nearly always are complimented by a variety of jewelry choices. She also contended every woman should own a *real* pearl necklace.

There. You have my mothers advice LOL I'm afraid it's beyond me to mention how you should dress as I would be out of my element

I'm sure anything you wear will be outshone by your beautiful countenance, as your enthusiasm for the event will surely, at times cause you to smile frequently and laugh often. I do hope you enjoy yourself. Whatever you wear, be comftorable in it because once you're there, you won't give your outfit a second thought. I hope you get to mingle and meet new people and share jokes, good and bad

If everyone gets too stuffy, just get up from your table, spot a line between all those tables, and do a few kartwheels. That'll wake 'em up and get the party going And they'll be talking about you for weeks <<<grin>>>

DISCLAIMER: I never said I was the behavior guru

Really? Wow.