Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 5:50am Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
i almost typed "kittle lid"

what did you like to play? what were your clothes like? what did you daydream about?

i don't want to bring up bad memories, hope this doesn't... just wanted the sensation of all of us hanging around on the same block at the age of seven or nine...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 8:50am Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
The memories are flooding back to me Banjo, and I'll let you know how it was for me growing up in Oz back in the 70's and 80's (My childhood and teen years) in a later post
But I do remember that back in my day we didn't have these new fangled electronic games.
We had to make do with Hungry Hungry Hippos, K'Plunk and Pick-Up-Sticks.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 9:17am Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
What?! No "Simon"?

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 9:39am Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
Interesting question, banjo. With a brother being only 1 year older and me being very shy he was my hero and role model in many things. Maybe that is the reason why I never liked to wear dresses (horror in those days) or play with dolls. We were 'outside' children and used to play ball games, fly kites and that sort of stuff. But I also loved to read until my head exploded. I loved (and still love) books. I daydreamt about owning a horse (very girlish, isn't it?) but then I discovered the world of music which has been my dearest passion ever since.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 9:42am Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
Aaaw, John Steed, we had one, I believe it was called "Senso" in German. Actually I was quite good at it

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 9:58am Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
I was somewhat weird, from what other people tell me - either those who were there or those who met me later and formed an opinion from my descriptions.
In photos I looked like Davy Jones of the Monkees in clothes from That 70s Show. I liked to ride my tricycle slowly around my grandparents garden with a book balanced on the handles. I used to line up my cuddly toys along my bedroom wall and pretend they were managing stalls at a country fair. I tried spinning around with my arms outstretched to see if I would change like Wonder Woman. I liked playing with a tape recorder.
In many ways I was like Woody Allen in Zelig too - adapting my accent according to my surroundings or companions. I came back from a visit to Burnley in Lancashire with the accent after only one week. When I won a scholarship to a private school my reaction was "i ain't going to no fucking poofs school". Later I could not imagine how I would have managed anywhere else.

Mandibles

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 11:51am Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
I was the strange child in the neighbourhood.

I used to go into the bushes by the park and sit amongst the leaves with a book and pretend I was in the jungle. I liked to watch Cartoon Network and ride my bike REALLY super fast down the park lanes pretending I could fly. I didn't make friends with the other kids because they wanted to "dress up" and play "dolls". I had loads of barbies which I played with on my own, inventing wild stories (Action Man nearly always got involved in a RTA). According to my parents I was a very curious child which often resulted in my being hurt and indeed I have only 9 and 3/4 fingers due to my curiosity as a child, I don't think I ever lost my curious streak... Oh and I wore novelty socks and cardigans too.

*Sigh* Life was so much simpler back then..

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 12:41pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
I have an older brother who used to bully me Got my own back on him now though.

I was a right tom boy when i was little so i would always be joining in with whatever the boys were doing. I was always in and out of A&E with broken bones, i think the hospital thought i was an abused child at one point. I used to worry my parents quite a bit because i would just go off on my own and explore, i went about 10miles once, i got grounded for that.

Ahh that was all before i was 8 then it all went down hill from there

Allthecoolnamesweretaken

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 3:15pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
Being born a fairly normal kid in Northern Ireland, I moved to Amsterdam when I was a little girl, so people considered me the weird Irish kid.. Not knowing the first word of Dutch didnt really help I suppose.
Guess I made the culture mine pretty quickly.. X-D
I remember when some family members came to visit us, and I showed them the way to my school (as every kid does??) and they were shocked by me driving my bike right through the red light district. That was fun..
Apart from that I actually was a fairly normal kid, right up untill the age of 9, when my parents died. That made some impact.

Saturn

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 3:23pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?

I was cute, noisy, rumbumptious, but I was always laughing as a kid.

I was very shy and anxious but never unhappy that I can remember, that all came a bit later.

I was pretty normal until the age of ten or 11 then it all went downhill

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 3:35pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
First I looked just like my son Sam.

Then I turned into a Monkee.

I even used to wear jim jams.

ratoutofhell

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 5:35pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
I was a horrible child. Apparently.

My mother did go through a phase of telling me if I'd been born first they wouldn't have had another, because I cried so much as a baby. As a kid I was very bookish - would read anything I could get my hands on - and a schoolteacher once told my parents I was precocious. Mum wasn't sure it was a good thing. And I was usually grumpy, and had no discernible sense of humour (some things don't change ). I would ride my bike round the garden for hours, and I wanted to be a boy when I grew up. Preferably one with bionics.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 5:58pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
not Jaime Sommers then?

ratoutofhell

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 6:39pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
not Jaime Sommers then?

No, I always thought she was an idiot! X-D

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 6:59pm Post subject: what were you like as a little kid?
I was the outsider weirdo kid. I still am the weird outsider. I used to wear dungarees whenever I was free to choose what to wear. I wouldn't play with any of the girls. I thought they were stupid and boring because all they were interested in were dolls, then later on make-up, boys and soaps. None of which interested me and still don't. I used to always have plasters on my knees and covered in bruises. I was always falling over and bumping into things. I used to be obsessed with climbing over things like fences and up the curtains and trying to swing on them so at an early age I used to get told off a lot and that kind of tomboyish behaviour was drilled out of me early on by my parents as I was never allowed to play out on the streets with the other kids, never allowed to learn to ride a bike or skates or do any of those outdoor games that looked like such good fun but to my parents were dangerous and being outside meant you could easily get kidnapped so I was overprotected and kept indoors. When I started school I struggled a lot to establish relationships of any kind. I was so quiet and shy.

I was always a big reader. When I was very young I'd open up my grandma's books (with no pictures) and sit and stare at the writing for hours. So my family bought me books and helped me learn to read. By the time I started school I was well into the world of Roald Dahl. I would only read books to do with fantasy, things like witches, wizards, monsters and dragons. I couldn't stand the ordinary or the mundane. Which is why I wouldn't watch tv shows like Grange Hill, Byker Grove, Children's Ward or soaps. I wasn't interested in the slightest in the normal. I also loved history. I enjoyed going round castles, churches and cathedrals. I adore the architecture so much. Even as a child I was in love with York.

I was very obsessed with things like dinosaurs, the ocean, outer space and time travel so all my games would revolve around those things. My friend and I used to build time machines out of ordinary objects and then get chased by dinosaurs. We'd build spaceships. We'd have dinosaur battles all the time. Dinosaurs were a huge part of our childhood. Anything to do with dinosaurs we had. We'd eat dinosaur shaped turkey pieces, dinosaur chocolate, watch any films or tv shows that were dinosaur related, play with dinosaur toys, collect Dinosaur magazine and built the glow-in-the dark T-rex (I did the same with Bugs magazine and built the tarantula and scorpian. Never been squeamish around bugs. I think they're cool. Especially spiders). When Jurassic Park came out it was like ZOMG MUST GO SEE NOW!!! ARGH! We were mad about them.

I was also really obsessed with sword fighting. I was always pestering my mum to buy me toy swords. I swear there must be another dimension somewhere with a big portal in the sky through which neon plastic swords drop through onto a big pile. I was always buying them and they always disappeared days later. I loved sword fighting and I loved playing with toy guns and super soakers. So much fun. I was mad on video games too. Especially beat 'em ups in particular the scrolling kind like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe. Couldn't get enough of them.

Assuming direct control...