Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

edorovio

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 4:58pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
Some time ago, on a cooking forum that I belong to, we were asked whom we would most want to have over for dinner and my answer was Stephen, James May and and Leonard Cohen.

Since I'm new to this forum, I thought it would be fun to ask....

If Stephen came to your house for dinner what would you cook?

I wonder what Stephen would cook if a group us us showed up on his doorstep?

- Edorovio

PamJH

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 7:07pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
I'd order out.

I'm an awful cook. I prepare food that's edible and that's about it. Fortunately, my family doesn't complain.

exoskeleton

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 10:55pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
I don't think my house would ever be suitable for receiving anyone important.

but here is what I would make:
I would make two different salads, both of which are REALLY delicious. one has a very healthy homemade caesar dressing, the other hands lots of fruit and cheese and another great homemade dressing. I'm also make yams because I like those, and you can put cinnamon on them if you want. for fruit we'd have cherries (with pits) and strawberries and apple slices. for the main dish we could have chicken with a locally-produced marinade, and a different locally-produced sauce could be on hand for dipping. a baguette would probably be a good thing to finish it off, even if Stephen doesn't eat bread, cuz I do! X-D

btw, as some here might remember from my tweets, I had to answer that dinner guest question a five years ago (when I was just starting high school) and at the time I wanted to have over George W. Bush, a Cro-Magnon, and Galileo.

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 5:38am Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
I'd order out.

X-D I'm not sure what kind of medal I'd put around your neck, I only know that I think you deserve one.

Like Pam, I'm not a student of cooking. But I guess since he hates our cheese and bread those would probably not be on the menu. Maybe a ginormous bowl of ice cream with a bunch of no-no stuff available for him to slather on it?

I just can't figure if that should come before or after copious amounts of alcohol...

This one's definitely a FAIL for me X-D

Really? Wow.

Greengalipote

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 11:33am Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
Since you ask this at this time of the year, I'll have to say a barbecue, because that's what we do in the summer when we have guests. We set the table outside underneath the lime tree and stand around looking at the scenery, drinking apéritif while the food gets ready.
There could be magret de canard, salmon, beef brochettes... all this served with salads and potatoes wrapped up in tin foil and cooked in the hot coals. Then a big plate of local cheese, because we have a lot of that around where I live. For dessert... maybe trifle, or a cake from the patisserie, or a home made cake with fruit salad and Ice-cream. Or just heaps and heaps of cherries!
Of course there would constantly be a couple of bottles of good wine on the table.

sorry for all the french words, I'm not trying to be pedantic or anything, but I'm a little confused. Arrived in the UK yesterday evening... Is there such a thing as linguistic jet-lag?
[/url]

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 2:43pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
I'd order out.

X-D I'm not sure what kind of medal I'd put around your neck, I only know that I think you deserve one.

Like Pam, I'm not a student of cooking. But I guess since he hates our cheese and bread those would probably not be on the menu. Maybe a ginormous bowl of ice cream with a bunch of no-no stuff available for him to slather on it?

I just can't figure if that should come before or after copious amounts of alcohol...

This one's definitely a FAIL for me X-D

I am gathering a group of like-minded friends and coming to your house for alcohol and ice cream. And I'll bring a tent so we can do drunken camping in your backyard.

Spitfire

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 4:15pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
That sounds like bliss!
Ice-cream, Alcohol and tents! ^_^

I'm in the school for non-cooking. I'm terrible. XD

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 4:19pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
Since you ask this at this time of the year, I'll have to say a barbecue, because that's what we do in the summer when we have guests. We set the table outside underneath the lime tree and stand around looking at the scenery, drinking apéritif while the food gets ready.
There could be magret de canard, salmon, beef brochettes... all this served with salads and potatoes wrapped up in tin foil and cooked in the hot coals. Then a big plate of local cheese, because we have a lot of that around where I live. For dessert... maybe trifle, or a cake from the patisserie, or a home made cake with fruit salad and Ice-cream. Or just heaps and heaps of cherries!
Of course there would constantly be a couple of bottles of good wine on the table.

sorry for all the french words, I'm not trying to be pedantic or anything, but I'm a little confused. Arrived in the UK yesterday evening... Is there such a thing as linguistic jet-lag?
[/url]

May I come to dinner? I'll even wash the dishes. I have never had French cooking.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 4:29pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?

May I come to dinner? I'll even wash the dishes. I have never had French cooking.

I'll be stuffed in Pams luggage, btw. That menu sounds delicious!

Bring your group here on our way out of the country Pam. Plenty of room for lots of tents and they can stay while we're in France

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 4:31pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?

I'll be stuffed in Pams luggage, btw. That menu sounds delicious!

Bring your group here on our way out of the country Pam. Plenty of room for lots of tents and they can stay while we're in France

This, my dear Nitro, is an excellent plan. But we must pick up Ginj on the way or she'll never forgive us. Then a side trip to London whereby we might stalk Stephen and other famous British personages.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 4:50pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?

This, my dear Nitro, is an excellent plan. But we must pick up Ginj on the way or she'll never forgive us.

She's in! Passports ready?

Then a side trip to London whereby we might stalk Stephen and other famous British personages.

Stalking...not familiar with that. Does it involve running around naked and climbing works of art ( preferably statues )? If so, I'm in.

( OP, please forgive my sidetracking...back to your thread )

Really? Wow.

Greengalipote

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 6:08pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
incidentally if you want any food when you get there you might have to pick me up too... I'm in Newcastle right now! Or you might want to come up North and have the BBQ there instead. YOu won't have the view on the Auvergne's rolling mountains, but the sea isn't too far.

Greengalipote

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 8:30pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
Otherwise, if the weather isn't good, I could make a whole load of crêpes and plenty of béchamel sauce and lovely hams, cheeses to garnish them. As for dessert, more pancakes, including my speciality: strawberry jam, raspberries and molten white chocolate in a folded pancake, and flambé it with pear eau de vie. Or roast almonds and dark chocolate flambéed with cointreau.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 8:48pm Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
Otherwise, if the weather isn't good, I could make a whole load of crêpes and plenty of béchamel sauce and lovely hams, cheeses to garnish them. As for dessert, more pancakes, including my speciality: strawberry jam, raspberries and molten white chocolate in a folded pancake, and flambé it with pear eau de vie. Or roast almonds and dark chocolate flambéed with cointreau.

I am so bloody hungry I could eat a flambeed (don't know how to make that cool mark over the e) anything. This sounds so, so lovely. And we'll pick you, don't worry. And Nitro, we'll do that statue thing you were talking about.

michael

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 12:06am Post subject: What would you cook if Stephen was coming to dinner?
buffalos

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name