Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ysabella

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 9:27pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
For those of you dealing with being manic depressive and/or bipolar, can you tell me what you would like to explain to people who don't know much about those issues? What are the irritating assumptions that people make that get you down?

One that I know of is the idea that bipolar people act like jerks. I know two diagnosed bipolar people, one is a jerk, and one is a sweetheart and never acts jerky. The jerk's main problem is that he's not very nice, not that he's bipolar.

I hope you have some comments, and if you do, thanks for posting them.

JVONEARTH

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 9:32pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
You will never get it right.No matter how i try to explain to people ( from my experience ) they never understand. It needs to be made more public.

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 11:04pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
My favourite is that it's all made up in the mind.

LlwydOrton

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 4:34am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
I can't even rationalise it with myself, so trying to explain it to someone else would be like trying to promote Communism to George Bush.

I have a degree in neuroscience and i can appreciate it on a neurological level but how that translates to me wanting to die for 3 months last year and not leaving my room for 10 weeks, i can't say.

Of course the fact that at the minute i have found something that really works for me is helping. Last week i wrote an 150 page screenplay (way too long but i just couldn't stop) and i'm still awake at 3.24am and will probably sleep for 3 hours tonight, MAX. I could describe some of the mechanisms in my noggin causing this, but as for understanding it in a real world context, not a chance.

I'm just glad that for the absolute shit i felt last year, i have some sort of redress at the minute.

Stephen, if you read this, thank you so much for making this program, it literally changed my life. This year i am planning on making a few short films and hope to make a low/no budget independant film next summer. From October to December last year i felt horrific, i don't know how i got through it. I survived 2 suicide attempts, 1 wasn't a serious attempt but the second was a focussed endeavour to finish my life.

I have always been a fan of yours, from Blackadder (Baaaaah!), Jeeves and Wooster, Fry and Laurie, Q.I. and your great performance in Alan Moore's masterpiece (well apart from Watchmen of course) V for Vendetta. But that show helped me realise the reason for the way i am and i can never thank you enough for that sir.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 12:19am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Generally I dont explain it....
I normally keep as much of it hidden as possible and when anything is noticed I bluff an answer. When I do go there (usually with my sister or mother) I tell it how it is. I explain how I feel and how they should or shouldnt react to it. I have signals for when Im in a bad place and I could explode at little things, that way they dont bare the brunt of my moods.

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 12:25am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
hold on no you got it wrong....what should normal people tell us we're ok it's them X-D

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 2:38pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Ha, what's normal? I'm not MD but i'm CERTAINLY not normal.

X-D

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 9:43pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Any person who calls a cat a cat even when he trips on her in the dark understands the nature of cats and has got my vote! X-D

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 9:46pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Amen brother

ClareBear

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 10:19pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
he stole that quote.

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 10:24pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
X-D

ysabella

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2007 6:29am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Ha, what's normal? I'm not MD but i'm CERTAINLY not normal.

Thats why I put it in quotes, i.e. "normal."

trouser material

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2007 12:46pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
he stole that quote.

Bah.

karoliina

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 12:20pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
hm, - but the most common sentence I hear is "just chill, relax, it will go away".
I do suffer from depression, but am not sure what kind since I have never been diagnosed properly. But what gets me is the constant repeating of the words "RELAX!" "DON'T TAKE IT SO SERIOUSLY", "IT WILL BE OK!" and assuming that I am still going through some delayed teenage angst or something. So, in short, I have stopped talking about it to people.

trouser material

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 7:59pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
My real freaky depression left me when i was 15 and hasn't returned yet. Which i'm very pleased about, i hope it never does. I never said anything to anyone, as a kid you don't.