Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

shatzi

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 2:40am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Only a few people know about me having this, but the few who do, I just tell them to recall their happiest and most depressed moods, then imagine them more intense, and ask them what it would be like to be hit with those moods for no explicable reason. I ask them if they have ever stared out the window at a tree for hours and don't realize it. If they have been awake for several days in a row.
It does get me irritated when you're in the black pits, and someone suggets you eat something to feel better, or put a funny movie in the video player. Oh, or how about "What's wrong?" You tell them you are face down on the floor for no reason, and they say that you can't be depressed then.
You can try to irritate THEM like I have done by referring to it as being gifted. I tell them I would not have the wonderful things I have if I had not had all the chutzpah to do it, which stems from the mania. I actually believe that if I hadn't been born with this, I might be in very bad shape and still in my little hometown, living the life my mother expected.

Nadia

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 4:10am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
hm, - but the most common sentence I hear is "just chill,
relax, it will go away".
I do suffer from depression, but am not sure what kind since I have never
been diagnosed properly. But what gets me is the constant repeating of the
words "RELAX!" "DON'T TAKE IT SO SERIOUSLY", "IT WILL BE OK!" and
assuming that I am still going through some delayed teenage angst or
something. So, in short, I have stopped talking about it to people.

X-D Same here!
"Come on, you just need to have a fling ! Go to the party/zoo/museum/bla bla"
"Have some life! You'll be happy!" "Just go outside - sun is shining,
birds are singing!" - ha ha.. great advice when going outside can make me
cry and actually when you are depressed every single stroll can make you wanna die immediately.. better stay at home.
But now.. well, if I can't explain WHY I don't want to go outside and
see friends.. I'll tell them about my illness, and if they'll leave
me with a label "Yuck! CRAZY one!" .. Who needs such "friends".

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 9:29am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
When ever someone tells me it will be OK I just try to act as daft as I do when I am manic. They get the point.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 9:47am Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
God forbid that I should ever meet such an animal as a "normal" person. I can think of few more ghastly creatures on the planet. I hope no-one here considers themselves normal.
My sympathies to all of you who have bipolar disorder. I personally do not and have not seen Mr Fry's documentary because of my geographical location, however I hope it is appropriate to wish nothing but love and goodwill to all members of this forum. If you find solace here, good for you.

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 11:12pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Don't tell them anything it's a secret they can't help it if there that way give up time for a normal person they only want to be like us X-D X-D X-D X-D X-D

trouser material

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 1:22pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Don't tell them anything it's a secret they can't help it if there that way give up time for a normal person they only want to be like us X-D X-D X-D X-D X-D
Punctuation is your friend JV. Embrace her.

RighthoJeeves

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 3:44pm Post subject: What would you tell "normal" people?
Hmm well thankfully my medicine works well enough that a "normal" person would mistake me for normal. You have to really know me, know my quirks to see there is something different about me. My husband suffers from bipolar only rapid change type so relating to him isnt an issue, He suffers more than me, he has OCD and PTSD also. I have some of that due to my last very serious turn. ( I will gladly tell anyone who is intrested in that if you pm me, its rather long to post here), I am sueing the NHS though for it. I should not of got sick- near death (dont mean suicidal either). It was not something I did on my own. My husband has already appealed to the Health Commission-no luck. Anyhow back to the point, For those who dont suffer from it its hard to get them to know what its like being me, Most who take the time dont have a problem with it, if I dont know a person well I dont mention it. I have some good friends who have been there for me though, none have manic depression but thats ok. my best friend, my husband does.