Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Mon Mar 14th, 2011 4:28am Post subject: What you don't know about your cell phone photos

Were you aware that when you snap a shot with your iPhone of the backyard bbq you're having, that the co-ordinates for your home address are sent up and out to GIS sattelites? iow, inside that picture of your kids favorite playground is the playgrounds longitudinal and latitudinal co-ordinates and down to within meters. This information can be up retrieved by authorities and in fact there are 9 MILLION known uses on the part of the authorities to 'retrieve' these coordinates that come from what you think is just your harmless cell phone pic.

And it's not just the fed or the cia who can determine where you're and where you live, a nefarious person can get the same coordinates to your home using the same methods the GIS does.So, be careful about how much personal stuff you want to be spreading all over the place. Where your little kids like to go; favorite ice cream shop, favorite play ground...that's all information any weasely pervert can pick up as well.

take SAFE pictures kis, THINK before you 'send'...

Really? Wow.

EmEdv

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2012 4:04pm Post subject: What you don't know about your cell phone photos

I confess I didn't know that, however, although I do see how this information can turn into an absolute medium of power, and can be unpleasant in the wrong hands, I like to believe in the good of man. And I see no reason to worry about this as I am very sure they aren't exactly looking at these pictures one by one, but rather keeping them in some kind of a folder that they can open in case of criminal activity, terrorism or other dangerous activities. As long as we are living in a democracy and not under an oppressing dictator, I can almost guarantee that no one has seen my photo of my cat in the garden as it isn't of any interest to them. It's probably as I said, in some folder somewhere marked as "Emelie Evardsson" a long with millions of other folders.

Sure, it's not very pleasant knowing that this personal information about yourself is stored somewhere, but at the same time, it doesn't pose any threat to us. It might in the future, who knows, but at the moment I'm not going to worry about it as there are other much more important matters to deal with in the world first such as starvation, war, economics, unjustice, extinction and global warming.