Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

dmcrae

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:19pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
Whats the official name to describe the involuntary spitting out of your drink when someone says a shocking or comical comment?

I use pffft and a friend uses burb to describe it but does it have an official word that might appear in the dictionary?

Red Raven

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:26pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
I always thought it was pfft but as far as official I have no earthly idea.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:38pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
I always thought it was 'splutter'.

dmcrae

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:39pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
But it is very hard to find the perfect picture of someone doing it

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:41pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
http://stephenfry.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1842

dmcrae

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:42pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
Id say a splutter wasn't strong enough a word, if you think of someone doing it it is more like a sneeze. aggressive spraying, bending forward

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:49pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
How about spatooey?

Assuming direct control...

dmcrae

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:49pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
john steed you sure hit the nail on the head with that link Brilliant

But wht doesnt that action have a name?

Red Raven

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:50pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
http://stephenfry.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1842

Isn't that Simon Pegg?

dmcrae- After I read what you said about it being like a sneeze I had a sneezing fit, 15 sneezes total. it was awesome!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:52pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
Yup - Simon Pegg in the sitcom Spaced.

If we're not satisfied, perhaps we could have a go at inventing a word, a la Meaning of Liff.

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:52pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
Spit take.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 3:59pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
Like spatooey! :P:P:P Or spadoot!

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:03pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
splurtle?
spluffle?

dmcrae

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:05pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
Red Raven - You know a sneeze is supposed to be a 3rd of an orgasm. im not surprised your feeling good after 15

whattocallmyself

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:10pm Post subject: Whats it called when you pffft (spit) your drink out?
Red Raven - You know a sneeze is supposed to be a 3rd of an orgasm. im not surprised your feeling good after 15

..wouldn´t that make like 5 orgasms?

Onwards and Upwards!