Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 3:45am Post subject: What's It Like?
The most recent blog ("Let Fame") touches on the question oft posed to people in the public eye, "What's it like being famous/a celebrity/rubbing elbows with the similarly famous etc?". However (and perhaps this is only my experience?) this question is often posed to people of all professions -- often over a cheese platter at a social gathering of some kind -- regardless of their public notoriety. So I ask you, my fellow forum denizens, what's it like doing whatever it is you do? Alternatively what's it like living wherever you live? Or, again alternatively, being whatever you are? What's it like [Insert your clause here]? I've gone and opened this can of worms so I'll start with the answers to the three questions I get most often.

What's it like being an academic?

The experience, of course, varies widely but for me I start every day with a little giggle over the fact that someone is actually paying me to do my job. It's not the most impressive salary of course but, still, someone is paying me to roll in around 11, teach a class or two (which I adore), read for 3-4 hours, and then bugger off home. It's more tiring than you'd think (the thinking and reading parts, I find the teaching invigorating) but terribly fun. Certainly a profession you take up for the lifestyle, rather than the other traditional reasons for entering a certain field.

What's it like living in LA?

The minute anyone around here discovers I'm from LA this question appears. They want to hear that LA is like the telly makes it seem -- all sunshine and attractive people which it is, I suppose, in an anorexic-that-outfit-allows-me-to-view-your-hymen sort of way. I've lived in three countries, two states, and about ten different cities and despite even the best of LA's charms (and it does have quite a few) I can still list a dozen places I'd rather live without having to pause and think.

What's it like living in Canada considering you're from LA?

It's not that different. After a year here going home only makes LA seem stranger. I don't mind the cold, not even the -45C weeks, and no it doesn't distress me that the money is multi-coloured.

MinervaMoon

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 3:53am Post subject: What's It Like?
People are always baffled by this one:

What's it like studying abroad in England?

Cold. Expensive. Jesus, I love it so much.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 4:06am Post subject: What's It Like?

I studied abroad in England when I was in undergrad! Can I add "damp" and "nothings ever open on friggin' Sundays!" to your reply?

Selma

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 5:13am Post subject: What's It Like?
Dammit Mr. Fry!! I have a blasted essay to write and reading yours isn't helping! Though, having said that, I now would like to change my stand on the matter.

I'm not even half way through but already my head is becoming clear of the cobwebs which grow when one is in battle with one's own forced and unwanted writing. I have giggled at one phrase, laughed out loud (lol, I believe is the correct terminology) at another and have gained great pleasure from many.

There's no better medicine for the ails of doing homework than well constructed sentences which tickle and entice the brain back to freshness and loveliness. Already, I feel I could write ten-thousand more blasted words on the blasted notion of blasted iki. So long as every second one is 'blasted'.

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 5:30am Post subject: What's It Like?
What's it like being addicted to the sound of a language you don't understand?

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

*headwall*

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 6:12am Post subject: What's It Like?
What's it like being addicted to the sound of a language you don't understand?

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

*headwall*

Ok I have to ask...which language?

whattocallmyself

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 6:21am Post subject: What's It Like?
wild guessing here...Finnish?

Onwards and Upwards!

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 1:43pm Post subject: What's It Like?
wild guessing here...Finnish?

*interrupts headdesking to give Whattocallmyself a cookie*

*resumes headdesking to the tune of Jukka Poika's Keinuta Mua*

Studying abroad in Berlin was the most stressful nine months of my life. Between the student strike, which threw all my academics into chaos, having to read and write academic prose in German, the fall of the dollar depriving me of 20% of my carefully tabulated expenses, my grandfather's death and my then-boyfriend's betrayal, I can safely say that the depression I sank into in Berlin was fully warranted.

Naturally, as soon as my time there was up, so were my spirits - for about a week. And then I started craving the sound of Verkehrslage being read on Deutschlandfunk; broetchen and Madagascar lychees from the local Penny-Markt; the purple-blue nighttime glow of the Sony Centre on Potsdamerplatz; KDW ice-cream and the sight of Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedaechtniskirche on Ku'damm; even, God help me, the StaBi on Unter den Linden, which I loathed while I had to do research there, used as I was to browsing .

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Sep 28th, 2007 2:34pm Post subject: What's It Like?
What's it like being made of awesome?

AWESOME

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 29th, 2007 12:18am Post subject: What's It Like?
i agree that i don't like "what's it like" questions.

not many people ask me about myself, but if they do it's when someone asks what's it like to be queer or what's it like to grow up in rural oklahoma ... the latter of which i got asked a lot when i went to grad school with a bunch of people from manhattan. "ohhhh, it sounds so INteresting" well, i'll go back in time and grow up in affluent massachusettes and then return to this time and place and tell you...

honestly, i don't know. is that a cop out?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 29th, 2007 12:55am Post subject: What's It Like?
i agree that i don't like "what's it like" questions.

not many people ask me about myself, but if they do it's when someone asks what's it like to be queer or what's it like to grow up in rural oklahoma ... the latter of which i got asked a lot when i went to grad school with a bunch of people from manhattan. "ohhhh, it sounds so INteresting" well, i'll go back in time and grow up in affluent massachusettes and then return to this time and place and tell you...

honestly, i don't know. is that a cop out?

It's not a cop out at all! For some people it's an interesting question, for others its not (same for it being an easy or difficult question to answer). To each their own and such.