Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Mon Feb 12th, 2007 5:40am Post subject: What's your cocktail?
Hello, folks! Just wondering out of simple nosiness what medications you take, if any, and how it's working out for you.

I take 1000mg Lithium, 400mg Seroquel and 20mg Seroxat for rapid-cycling Bipolar I. Okay so far, my cycles are slowing down but now I seem to be in a perpetual state of hypomania!

Maniac

Posted Mon Feb 12th, 2007 10:16am Post subject: What's your cocktail?
I've not got a diagnoses of bipolar but psych reckons Bipolar 2.

I take 20mg Fluoxetine (AD) 1200mg of EPA, Evening primrose oil, garlic and Vitamins A,C and D.

Was only taking the Fluoxetine up until Christmas and have noticed a vast improvement in the last 2/3 weeks.
I researched fish oils and EPA following the documentary and have found a lot of evidence to support the use of EPA in treating depression/MD.

Fourth Feline

Posted Mon Feb 12th, 2007 6:33pm Post subject: What's your cocktail?
Currently for Bi-Polar II :

Sodium Valproate (Depakote) 500mg Twice daily
Moclobemide 300mg Twice daily
Diazepam 4mg Twice Daily
Seroquel 100mg at night only.

* EDIT * Seroquel dosage changed since original post, as my Consultant found studies showing that it need only be taken at night and still be effective through the next day and I probably only needed 1000mg max, as it is being used as an adjunct therapy to my Depakote and Moclobemide.

Still an ongoing experiment ...

Good idea for a thread Seaneen !

F.F.

tania

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 11:54am Post subject: What's your cocktail?
For rapid cycle bipolar II:

Lamotrogine.

Fantastic drug, no side affects. Quite a new one, big in the US, used very sucessfully with Bi-polar. It's actually an anti epileptic drug that also seems to have a great affect on bi-polar. Only heard good reports about it from other people I know that take it and from my psych. It has all but cancelled out my eeyore days and has calmed down the tigger days.

x

blacksquirrel

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 6:21pm Post subject: What's your cocktail?
hello
hope i'm not considered a charlatan but i prefer not to medicate, i'm lucky that i have the choice [at least i think i do?]. I take EPA and Co-enzyme Q10 and eat fish daily [twice a day if possible]. I know its not always possible [on those days when you can't even get out of bed] but if you can walk briskly and create a purpose for doing so, i find this helps ... and if it doesn't look too weird, if there's a chance i can break into a sprint for a minute, however out of shape i am, it helps with taking the tops of the peaks. The walking helps keep me constant.

amlee

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 7:22pm Post subject: What's your cocktail?
I'm on ... well I'm only on my topomax at the moment... because I haven't had a ride to my psychiatrist in... months. Fun! But I'm on the topomax for my wonderfully rapid cycling bipolar and my seizures (which came, suprisingly, afterwards). Interestingly enough, I've found that on a higher dose of the Topomax, I'm less stable (fun fun) but I don't have much choice because, well, seizures are a little more important to control, methinks. I haven't really found anything for my anxiety. Blah. And I think the wonderful mixture of other meds I'm on (muscle relaxers and whatnot for a slipped disk and other seizure meds) make my anxiety and bipolar worse. Yippee. Okay I'm done.

Maniac

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2007 1:28pm Post subject: What's your cocktail?
Just an update really.
I'm happy to see that someone else is taking EPA and fish oils.
I've been on it now for just over 2 months and I feel better than I have ever felt.
I'm more stable - feel very well, but not hyper and people are even mentioning how well I look. (These are people that don't know the truth about me. lol )
It feels like a miracle.
Long may it last.!

TheTruth

Posted Sun Mar 25th, 2007 8:29pm Post subject: What's your cocktail?
Hi. I'm not sure if I have bi-polar, MD, or Schizophrenia as the doctors can't come to a conclusion, because they say its still developing, I have noticed this myself, with new symptoms arising.

I was on Rispiridone 4mg, but it was making me feel sick everyday.
Then I was on Aripiprazole, but I felt it took something away from me, I was finding it harder to interact with people.
Now I'm on Seroquel 350mg, moving up to 400 this week. It's the best meds I've been on so far, no side effects, alot of the symptoms have been reduced.

To be honest I enjoyed being "ill" for the most part, the things I saw were amazing, but my moods were changing too fast, and sometimes I didn't even know what mood I was in, this led to a suicide attempt. And I was getting an involuntary twitch which I didn't want to get worse. So, meds it is then for a few years...

Shannette

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 11:22pm Post subject: What's your cocktail?
Hi - bi-polar since 1995.

Current daily cocktail as follows:

Lithium (Priadel) 1200mg
Lamotrigine (Lamictal) 400mg
Gabapentin 900mg
Venlafaxine (Efexor XL) 225mg
Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 10mg
Thyroxine 75mcg

Also have had 27 ECT treatments over past 11 years - last batch - 12 treatments just over 3 years ago.

Out of hospital and stable for last 3 years.

Shannette