Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

robertas

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 8:25am Post subject: When does number 3 happen?
flookwit, shiiiish you are not butting in...

I do love classical music, but Wagner never was my thing... sorry Mr. Fry , it is just a bit too much for me... I am more Liszt, Tchaikovsky kind of girl

flookwit, there was a point in my life when I used to socialize with a lot of musicians, mostly concert pianists majority of them were studying at the Liszt music academy in Budapest... so I do know about the legend that is Horowitz... The expression of awe my friends had on their faces when talking about the man... and they say rock bands have groupies
I do admire them immensely when you consider how much daily practice goes into it, I would not have the stamina to be frank... I was talking to Mrvica once (dont know have you heard of him) anyhow when he told me he practices for 10-12 hours before competitions and concerts I was gobsmacked.

About conductors I had the opportunity to see Mehta with Vienna Philharmonic orchestra (I think) now that was something else... and Sutej wasnt half bad either...

Axm ok on your head be it, next time I'm in East Anglia I'll arm myself with cider vinegar, some soap on the rope (I think I'll go for Lush their soaps smell divine although I dont know how I'll pull off the Wagner bit... and here I was thinking a general chat up line will do... tssss my only saving grace at this point is that for some reason I am quite interesting to gay males... because lets be frank vinegar and soap, I dont have much to work with X-D

stethatsme

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 5:05pm Post subject: When does number 3 happen?
Its here today... update your podcast list or download from the site :oP

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 8:07pm Post subject: When does number 3 happen?
(Approaches tentatively, not wanting to butt in on a personal conversation....)

Some Wagner to accompany the Vineagar and soap-on-a-rope? Perhaps I might suggest Die Meistersinger von Neurberg. It is the music that Stephen used to accompany him as the exit from his last podgram (the last piece of music).

I had to study it for my school music exam decades ago, so I know it in a cuddly, intimate sort of way! The version I provided a link to above is a rather nice one conducted by Arturo Toscanini, who, interestingly enough, was the father of the woman who married Vladimir Horowitz, the famous Russian (and IMHO best) concert pianist. Does that qualify for a QI moment?

I really like that piece. There's so much in it to enjoy. There's something magical about the music. I'm glad you linked that, a lovely end to the evening.

Assuming direct control...

PaulieY

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 8:35pm Post subject: When does number 3 happen?
As ever I listened to today's 'cast at work and couldn't help but laugh out loud at the aesthetics movement and the blame placed on the "breakdown of the family unit" for society's ills

Mr Fry’s comments were so true. Families of local “thugs” terrorised the council estate I grew up on, yet there are plenty of people from “broken homes” who are law abiding and contribute fully to society. I can quote this directly as my own life, my broken family home life growing up and my relative successes in life. Then my son’s own achievements (at a certain school in Suffolk Mr Fry is acquainted with), yet his father and I separated years ago.

As for the podcasts – wonderful! I love the ‘raw’ (odd numbered) casts over the ‘polished’, but both styles are a refreshing change to other casts. Well done.

karen m

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 3:31am Post subject: When does number 3 happen?
depends what type of family you grow up in i guess (well obviously) i do like the link he forms though. I was watching QI when he was chatting about geting chucked out of saltlake city for remarking 'what happens if you're good' after being told that when you die you join all of your family, cracked me up!

only thing is, i find i have to hear it through a few times (which, to be fair, i would have done anyway ) before i can get the jist of what he's saying but that's more a personal fault than the confusion of mr fry lol